Now *i* Have An Es350 Loaner! My Thoughts After A 110 Mile Day&#33

SW03ES

Well guys, my 03 is in to get the sunroof repaired (all of a sudden the one touch open/close feature stopped working and its not opening and closing properly) and I snagged one of two ES350 loaners! I was all over the place today, put 110 miles on it and I really got a lot of good experience with the car, I came away with a lot of positives, a few negatives, and overall a really good impression of the car as compared to my 03. Its a Smoky Granite (great color) with grey interior, 840 miles, premiukm package (bluetooth, but no nav or levinson).

I did drive an 07 once before, but it was a rare UL car the guy really wasn't supposed to let me drive in the first place, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it.

First of all, the 03 is very smooth and quiet but the 07 trumps it in both regards. Its noticably quieter at idle and at speed on all road surfaces (and we know thats the car, mine has the same tires). The ride has a kind of fluidity to it that the 03 doesn't have that is akin to the ride of an LS, the feeling that instead of the car absorbing the undulations of the roadway, that the car is actually smoothing the roadway out as one drives. Definately one of my favorite characteristics of the "Lexus ride" and the 07 definately has more of it than the 03. The car is much more firmly damped while retaining the smoothness yet it looses the wallowy feeling the the 03 gets in hard corners (although that may be age, my 03's struts and springs have 70k on them now) I did notice some wind noise around those big mirrors at 70-90MPH like Alan has noted, in fact the turbulence is enough to make the glass in the driver's side window vibrate slightly. I don't know what they can do about that if it is coming around the mirrors, short of redesigning them. This noise is not there in my 03. The new mirrors take some getting used to, but they do provide excellent visability. Speaking of visibility, visibility out the rear of the 07 is definately reduced from the 03 due to the higher rear deck. The backup camera and sonar parking assist are a must have.

The engine is very smooth, but its got a throatier roar than the 03, I'm not sure if I like it yet. The note is more similar to the GS300, not as silent as the 03 which I'm accustomed to. The car has a LOT of power, I nailed it on an onramp and it pulls very hard and smooth, the underpowered days of the ES are over. The new transmission shifts much more smoothly, but I personally still feel a hint of that hesitation when you coast down and then try to accelerate, its much better than the 03, but its still there and I'm not convinced it wouldn't get worse with time like it does on the 03.

I really like the exterior styling, I like the new front end with the larger grille and the new rear, and the car has a solid very sporty appearance, very elegant.

I'm still in awe of the feature set in this car. The keyless entry and start is great, and the bluetooth phone is MUCH improved over the previous Toyota/Lexus system we have in the Prius andmy had has in his 04 LS. Calls are much clearer, and the dial by name dial by number works very well. Two thumbs up there. The new trip computer is great, and even the base stereo sounds better than the ML in my 03. The ML in the 07 is outstanding.

Now, that brings us to the interior. Its grown on me over the day, but it still lacks the elegance of the 03's and frankly some of the product quality. I forgot something in mine and had to run back by the dealer to get it and sat back inside it for an instance, the wood all around the sightlines and the smooth contours are much classier and more elegant than the new design I'm sorry to say. While the new dash material for instance is definately thickly padded and high quality, the grain is very strange and it takes on a kind of sheen in the light that masks how high quality it actually is. The headliner and A pillars are not as thickly padded as in the 03 and the material is not as thick or as soft. The carpeting also isn't as thick, and the leather is sadly only double stitched like in the RX (as opposed to triple stitched in the 03) and is vinyl in some areas around the outside seating surface of the rear seat. Some of these issues may be addressed in the UL car, I don't remember. The new gauges, while different, don't look nearly as high tech or as elegant as the more trademark fade-totally-to-black optitron gauges with the LED needles in the 03 and look like they belong more on an "ordinary" car. While the wood is nice, its not as deep as on the 03 nor is the grain as rich, and there just isn't enough of it. The way its bonded to that red backing as opposed to the black on the 03 really does make it look fake around the ashtray cover, even though its real. I'm also not sold on the liberal use of chromed plastic that isn't really that convincing. There are things I like about the new interior, I love the power tilt/telescoping wheel. I love the new LED lighting, its very clean and high tech. The new seats are very comfortable, the smaller front seats have made the rear seat more spacious, and the trunk is deeper than the 03. The steering wheel radio controls are great, and I like that the trunk and fuel door releases are backlit now. I like the smaller and closer windshield vs the larger cab forward design of the 03, and the new low profile wipers look and work great.

So, all in all I think the ES is a super improvement over the previous car in every respect except the interior. Will I upgrade? Probably, its a dream to drive and it has tons of great features, but I will happily wait until fall after I see and price the new LS.

As always Steve, a very thorough, unbiased writeup of a great new auto. Good job! ;)

All I can say is, I'm having a blast driving it, and enjoying all the new toys.

One question: My Verizon cellphone contract is up soon, so maybe you can suggest a new carrier or just a

new Bluetooth cellphone that'll give me the best compatibility in my car? I know you're the cellphone

maven. LOL

Alan- I really like the car a lot, the interior will grow on my I know, just how the exterior of mine had to.

As far as the phone is concerned, Verizon is definately the best carrier as far as dependable service quality throughout the country, in the city Cingular is fine and they have the best compatibility as far as being able to transfer phonebook entries to the car.

Check this out:

http://www.lexus.com/models/bluetooth/inde...ml?s_ocid=20534

I have a bluetooth verizon Razr v3c I recommend it, its a great phone.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the phone I was thinking about, but I just checked my Verizon contract and I have 3 more months to go, and by that time the Razr will probably be obsolete. hehe :)

LOL, I just got mine back. Get this, there was wax buildup around the moonroof seal LOL. Figures.

Anywho, I dunno mine still rides and drives remarkably like the new one despite being 3 1/2 years old and having over 70k miles, it really is amazing how well these cars age if they're properly cared for. I definately like the interior of mine better, but everything else they upgraded they did a great job with. I miss the smart key! LOL

SW, ya. The cars get infinately better, but they stay with the same rough spring & dampening combinations, same general steering effort & ratios. It would probably be hard to tell the differance between a 100% restored 97 and a brand new 06. Based solely off feel when driving.

Which is fine and dandy. They have to age sometimes, so they might as well do so gracefully!

I'm still in awe of the feature set in this car. The keyless entry and start is great.

isnt there keyless entry on almost every year of the ES?

What he's talking about is the "Smart Access System with Push button Start. If a person has the Wireless remote control in his/her pocket or pocketbook, you can walk up to the car and it will automatically unlock the doors or trunk, and the interior lights and puddle lamps illuminate. Then when you're in the drivers seat you put your foot on the brake and press the button on the dashboard to start the engine. No key is needed! A very cool feature! :)

Now I can see why Carla always !Removed! about the keys when she drives my car LOL.

Its actually funny, she and I got out last night and did about a 70 mile round trip test loop, I drove out and she drove it back. She said "wow, I could get used to driving this, especially if you get the pink one!" Uh oh, there's one big reason not to get the Moon Shell Mica LOL.

Of course she doesn't like driving the one thats paid for with no mileage restrictions, but she'll want to drive the LEASED one at $.18 a mile all the time!

Now I can see why Carla always !Removed! about the keys when she drives my car LOL.

Its actually funny, she and I got out last night and did about a 70 mile round trip test loop, I drove out and she drove it back. She said "wow, I could get used to driving this, especially if you get the pink one!" Uh oh, there's one big reason not to get the Moon Shell Mica LOL.

Of course she doesn't like driving the one thats paid for with no mileage restrictions, but she'll want to drive the LEASED one at $.18 a mile all the time!

You're a very understanding guy.....and that's why she loves you. :wub:

Cool, I sent you an email aout that. The best thing to do probably right now is to host them somewhere else on the net (there are some free places) and link them to here, I have no idea when Steve the admin is going to get uploading back running.

Cool, I sent you an email aout that. The best thing to do probably right now is to host them somewhere else on the net (there are some free places) and link them to here, I have no idea when Steve the admin is going to get uploading back running.

Not a problem Steve........let me know when all systems are a go. B)

:cheers: