Did My Tires Get Switched?

I am ready to purchase new tires for my '05 ES330. It is a tier2 car. At the tire store yesterday the person told me my Toyo tires were NOT an original tire for that car. He told me "no way" did that car come from the factory with Toyo tires on it. I am now left wondering if the dealer did a quick change on the tires and replaced them with a cheaper tire allowing him to keep the originals for resale. I have reviewed the original sticker from the car and it does not mention tire brand. It simply says "17" Summer Tires with Alloy Wheels" $80. Any thoughts?

He's wrong, Toyo tires were a summer tire option. Its entirely possible that your car came with Toyos from the factory. As a matter of fact, I think ALL summer tires were Toyos.

I had the crap Toyo tires that made it 20K miles. I put a set of GoodYear on. Only had 3 brand choices for this 17 inch tire - Goodyear, Toyo, and Cooper. Bridgstone was on back order, Michelin was a 4 week lead time, Pirelli not available. Tried multiple local stores and on-line. The on-line would take the order and come back with a 4 to 6 week availibility. I have never been a fan of Toyo as they tend to get hard after two years. Coopers are inexpensive tires that do not last very long (great for someone on a budget not worried about milage). It seems that the tire makers do not offer a great selection for the 17 inch, if you find something good let us know.

The Goodyears are head and shoulders above the stock Toyo in performance. It sticks better in the curves and are quieter. Time will tell.

T

• 4 weeks later...

So I ended up buying some Michelin MXV4's at Costco. They had best price and then an automatic rebate. I almost bought the new Michelin Pilot but I noticed the mileage rating was lower. I HATE buying tires for some reason so I went with higher mileage rated tire. I didn't like the appearance of the new tires when they got them installed. I immediately went home and washed them and then applied treatment and they looked better. I do have a question. The tire has a maximum inflation of 44 psi. I checked the psi today and it appears Costco only put 28 psi in each tire. I understand that should make the ride softer but I'm willing to sacrifice some soft ride for longer ride. I raised them to 40 psi. Did I do the right thing? Also, when Costco delivered them to me each wheel had the ugliest bright green valve cap. I actually laughed when I saw them. They did not indicate why they put green caps on but after I added air to get them to 40 psi I had to wonder if they'd maybe inflated them with a different gas. Any opinions? The tires are to new for me to give a fair review of their performance but I did immediately notice they hold the road better than the Toyo's.

What model Toyo's & what model Bridgestones are we talking about exactly? :unsure: I hope not the RE92's for Bridgestone. :whistles: :rolleyes:

:cheers:

I raised them to 40 psi. Did I do the right thing?

You're overinflating your tires!!!! The proper inflation for your car should be between 28 to 32 PSI.

You never use the maximum inflation as written on the sidewall since all this indicates is that the tire can handle this inflation safely....but not for general use.

I dont think you're in any danger, but you should deflate the tires to somewhere close to the manufacturer specifications of 29PSI. Overinflating your tires causes fast wear too.

My MXV4s stay at 30PSI and they have 3/4 of their tread at 30k.

The green caps denote that the tires are inflated with nitrogen, if you don't like them just replace them. Don't worry abou adding air to the nitrogen gas, Nitrogen in tires is just a gimmick.

I know LOL

Actually I kinda got used to the green caps, they're still on don't ask me why!

How are the Exaltos running Stevie? Thats probably what I'll get next. These have until winter on them probably though.

How are the Exaltos running Stevie? Thats probably what I'll get next. These have until winter on them probably though.

In all truthfulness........then are up in the loft of the garage. I am running my 18s right now. Come Oct 15, they will be back on. From March to June, they were awesome. Great in the rain and on dry pavement, very very quiet and super smooth. I can't speak to snow traction of any kind cause they haven't seen any yet.

steviej

In all truthfulness........then are up in the loft of the garage. I am running my 18s right now. Come Oct 15, they will be back on. From March to June, they were awesome. Great in the rain and on dry pavement, very very quiet and super smooth. I can't speak to snow traction of any kind cause they haven't seen any yet.

steviej

I'll be curious to know the answer to the winter traction question when the time comes bud. B)

• 1 year later...
I am ready to purchase new tires for my '05 ES330. It is a tier2 car. At the tire store yesterday the person told me my Toyo tires were NOT an original tire for that car. He told me "no way" did that car come from the factory with Toyo tires on it. I am now left wondering if the dealer did a quick change on the tires and replaced them with a cheaper tire allowing him to keep the originals for resale. I have reviewed the original sticker from the car and it does not mention tire brand. It simply says "17" Summer Tires with Alloy Wheels" $80. Any thoughts?
original tires for 05 were toyos POS i chnged em at 9K worn out POS change em now for Yokohama YK 520s they are the best for the price and with 65K warranty you cant go wrong

original tires for 05 were toyos POS i chnged em at 9K worn out POS change em now for Yokohama YK 520s they are the best for the price and with 65K warranty you cant go wrong

I'd go for the Yokohama V4S over the YK's personally. The all season that came standard on my 05 is the Bridgestone Turanza EL42's......about on par with the Bridgestone RE92's......which is complete garbage in anything but dry road conditions.

• 1 month later...

I'd go for the Yokohama V4S over the YK's personally. The all season that came standard on my 05 is the Bridgestone Turanza EL42's......about on par with the Bridgestone RE92's......which is complete garbage in anything but dry road conditions.

I had the v4s and with the 65K warranty i wore em out after 20K and so changed them to yk 520s and they are far superior in all aspects