Mass Flow Sensor?

is that a sensor in the 92 es 300? i can't remember the exact name, but the mechanic says thats the issue with Eze....so hopefully im getting him back today :cheers:

thats the third sensor replaced, is there something i should know about sensors and why they break all the time?

and im just gonna replace the head unit in the car.. not spending lots o money

MAF sensor or Mass Air Flow Sensor is located between the air filter and the throttle body. It detects how much air is flowing and adjusts the fuel/air mixture accordingly.

The car won't run without it and if it is malfuncitioning, the car will run rough.

I bought one once for a GM and it was $250. Installed myself.

They ain't cheap sensors.

steviej

SO, it's not fixed..

apparently there is a chip lock on the computer in my car..so i have to go to the lexus dealer for them to fix it..

which means its probably a big expensive problem..

anyone know anything about this darn CHIP?

nono

i was told by my mechanic that the earlier generation of computer chip cars (the thing they use diagnostics for?) had a chip on them..so it would be locked and only the dealership could tell you what was wrong with your car.

(ie: they had the "key" to figuring out what is wrong with the car)

so other mechanics may be baffled, and their readings would be wrong, but the dealership had that link to get passed the lock and see whats wrong....

in conclusion, lexus gets the $$$

never heard of it and i think that kind of lock would be illegal

unless lexus provided the service for free

the older door trpe air sensors usually just need a good cleaning with throttle cleaner to get up to par again usually not replaced

they are huge and made of metal very hard to break unlike the heated metal filiment on the 94 and up ones

which have a small hair like thermosister that is cooled by air flow to give the ecu a reading

i think you mechanic is a waste of time

go to lexus and get a professional to work on the car once and right

it is true some cars have multiple problems

but this ain't no ford should be this hard to find

( sorry if he is your friend )

but he has got to be fleecing you

this is the 2nd mechanic :(

but yeh, i have an appointment at lexus at 1 pm this coming wednesday. i just need to car back by monday (moving and starting school, need to the car to get there)..

i was all excited about my car being fixed..major let down...

and my parents are going back to the original dealership and throwing the mechanic receipts in their face. (told them that place suckt and i didnt want a car from there..oh well)

I JUST WANT MY CAR TOO BE OK!i love him so.

hey wasup.....to the person that started this post....i have a 93 es 300 and my car was acting funny when i was at a light ...hesitating and such...well my guy has a one of those tester they use at the shops...told me the same thing u said....my mass air flow meter and sensor was bad...called around...500 or more for one....so i was looking under my hood...notice a crack in that big hose thatthat comes from the air flow meter to the engine....it had a crack in it!! letting tooo much air in.....changed that hose.......car runs like a champ now!!!!no hesitation..no one around my way has that part so i had to order it from t.a.p. recyclers out in cali...the only have lexus and toyota parts.....1-800-765-7100 ask for richard....go to ur car...take that hose and move it around a little(use a lil force tho)if ur car cuts off while its in park.....that my be ur problem....it will boog down then cut off......but thats how i fixed mines.....just a lil info so the shops womnt charge u for a air flow senser and just replace that hose.....ill never know cause thats not that u was looking for..... :cheers:

it looks likea big accordian hose

it is on the left side

( when i mention left or right it is in regards to when you are seated in the drivers seat)

it leaves the air filter box behind the battery and goes to the intake manifold

just pull apart the ribs and look bettween them

ok so is this that HUGE but short hose ???

everything else has covers on it..

that hose that i am talking about is old and looks dried out and has a few cracks in the ribbed grooves..but its just long skinny small cracks... kinda like this :

_________________________________________ all the way around in a few dif spots

is that it?

oh man i hope it is....but my dad is gonna freak, he's all about the mechanic doing it....not me messing with the car..

anyways

let me know if thats what im supposed to be looking at

update on car..just found out my parents are going to get rid of Eze :angry: :chairshot: :( :( :( they called him a "lemon". my car, my beautiful hardworking car is a freaking lemon.

i love my car. i love it goddamnit..just when i find an issue with the car, they bleeping decide to get rid of it.

this is a sad sad day.

im fighting to keep the car right now.....if they decide to sell it, i dunno. my parents would probably try to sell it around here....they don't really understand the theory of selling over the internet. it's in their name so it's up to them. im just the loyal "owner".

if they decide to sell it, ill let you know.....rather have it go to someone who gives a damn than someone who would let him die..

still planning to take him to the shop wednesday, and i actually got my dad insterested in the hose.. he wants me to bring the car home so he can see it. (he gave up fighting about the advice i get from here...)

can't tell if the crack is all the way through or not on the hose, but im going home today, and the car is sitll going to the shop. ill know by thursday if they want to ditch him (depending on the cost...i tried to tell my dad ill spend all the money in the world....)

get some duct tape

and as gettho as it sounds

seal the hole thing by wraping the ribs indivdually

some people may have an old pipe

i do but i am in canada

since i put a cold air intake system

which replaced the pipe

try it and it sounds like you may have solved the problem

fix it and show your dad and tehn say those guys on the website told me how

:P

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I finally FIXED this problem with my '01 IS300. Steve@Lextasy was right, but I have more to add. After some research I found a link that hit the "spot"

1. See this website for the offical RCA:

*Note: I used rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip, becareful!

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...ex_v2&id=50&c=9

2. Like Steve suggested, reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery for 30 mins.

3. Drive the *BLEEP* out of it, once the above is done. As for my '01 IS300

it NOW performs like a new car...wowo! I'm in love with my ride all over again!

4. Then smile!!!!!!