Manual Down Shifting Rx330

rfcbuf

I have a 2004 RX330 AWD that I frequently manually down shift when comming to a stop to save brake wear. Can I expect the manually downshifting will cause any undue wear or other problems with the automatic transmission? I've been reading the posts on this forum which speak about transmission problems. Am I looking for trouble by the manual downshifting at reasonable speeds?

I have a 2004 RX330 AWD that I frequently manually down shift when comming to a stop to save brake wear.

How about gentle and gradual braking instead? The front brake pads are capable of lasting 150,000 miles if you brake gently and gradually instead of hard and abruptly like most drivers do. The rear pads could last even longer. And the brake rotors could last over 300,000 miles.

If you learn how to replace the pads yourself, they cost only about $20 per wheel.

In sum, you could potentially drive 300,000 miles without spending more than $80 for brakes. Cars with manual transmissions should also not be downshifted when comming to a stop to save brake wear.

Brakes are meant for stopping, use them. Transmissions, especially automatics, aren't designed to be used as brakes. Would you rather spend over $2k to get a new transmission or a few hundred every few years to get you brakes done?

I have a 2004 RX330 AWD that I frequently manually down shift when comming to a stop to save brake wear. Can I expect the manually downshifting will cause any undue wear or other problems with the automatic transmission? I've been reading the posts on this forum which speak about transmission problems. Am I looking for trouble by the manual downshifting at reasonable speeds?

Please keep in mind that your AWD RX330 is front torque biased in the range of 95/5 F/R.

Use of engine compression braking on a FWD or front biased AWD can be unsafe in the best of conditions, throw in a little slipperness on the roadbed and now you've moved to HAZARDOUS driving conditions for engine compression braking.

That may very be at least part of the reason so many complaints are being logged about the engine/transaxle delay/hesitation symptom seemingly unique to Toyota/Lexus V6 FWD or front based AWD vehicles.

Upshifting FWD vehicles during coastdowns to prevent loss of directional control may very well be factory safety feature.

How about gentle and gradual braking instead? The front brake pads are capable of lasting 150,000 miles if you brake gently and gradually instead of hard and abruptly like most drivers do. The rear pads could last even longer. And the brake rotors could last over 300,000 miles.

If you learn how to replace the pads yourself, they cost only about $20 per wheel.

In sum, you could potentially drive 300,000 miles without spending more than $80 for brakes. Cars with manual transmissions should also not be downshifted when comming to a stop to save brake wear.

Sure would suck to drive behind someone who is trying to get 150k out of their pads. People who shell out the money for a Lexus (a) probably very rarely drive them for anywhere close to 300k miles, and (b ) can usually afford new brake pads every 30-50 k miles and rotors every 100 or so. Why bother trying to save a couple hundred bucks (over the entire life of the car) when the initial cost was 45 grand?

2 cents worth.