External Cell Phone Antennas For The Ls-430

I'm trying to assemble the "best" solution for a full hands-free mounting kit with a cradle that connects power and external antenna to my Motorola RAZR V3 GSM Cingular phone.

So far, I've found the custom PanaVise 75136-801 cradle bracket and the SmoothTalker BTVHV3IA cradle that automatically connects power and an external antenna to the phone.

I've now ordered three Wilson external antennas to try in various positions on the car until I find one that works well, looks good, and doesn't generate wind noise. I think I'll end up drilling a hole and mounting an NMO antenna on the roof or trunk.

Here's what should be delivered next week:

301103 Dual-Band Magnet Mount Antenna; 301104 Dual-Band NMO Mount Antenna; 301113 Dual-Band Mini Magnet Antenna

I'm going to be using them with a Wilson in-line amplifier.

I guess it's kinda late now but has anyone had any experience with a good-looking, well-functioning antenna system?

I formerly used a metal phone bracket similar to the Panavise in both my previous 90 and current LS400s but now have and vastly prefer a leather Kuda phone console: You can see it in my avatar on the left or a larger photo (with notes) in the gallery: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=si&img=816

Very tall people riding in the front passenger seat tended to bang their knee on the metal bracket. It also made some of the radio controls difficult for the passenger to reach. I could have mounted the bracket higher but I didn't want to block the flow from the center air vent. Here is a link to another thread that has a PDF showing where the metal bracket had been positioned in my 00 LS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=7791

I gave the metal bracket to Blake918 - this post from him includes a photo where he put it in his 95 LS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&hl=antenna

I think Blake told me that he was going to buy a Kuda phone console.

Kuda also has a console for the LS430 although the mounting position seems a bit low on the center console: http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_and_hold...-06-21-208.html

I think I've seen leather consoles of other brands for the LS430 that mounted higher on the center console but they may have been only for right hand drive LS430's. Several European companies other than Kuda make phone consoles. Here is a pic of a Plummer console from SIO in the U.K. where I have purchased products: http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/Shoppin...uct=Lexus-LS430

I wonder if your LS430 has a hidden phone antenna imprinted on the rear window like the 95-00 LS400 -- the LS430 was prewired for a fixed or handheld phone up through at least 2003. The best part of using the hidden phone antenna is that there is zero wind noise; the external antenna on my 90 LS "whistled" a bit.- especially in the rain. The imprinted phone antenna in my 00 LS400 seems to add a lot of range to my GSM/TDMA/AMPS Nokia phone. I don't know if it is designed to work with GSM though since the U.S. Lexus phones installed in the LS400 were not GSM. I suppose it could be the same imprinted antenna as on the U.K. LS -- the dealer installed phones in the U.K. may have been GSM only.

Does the small OEM-looking antenna I see above the center of the rear windows on LS430's include a phone antenna? Maybe your dealer knows. If so, you could buy one of those. Still another option is to use an phone antenna that mounts on the windshield like often used in the U.K. -- SIO sells a variety of these too: http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/Shoppin...?product=DG-510

I also have looked at the Wilson amplifiers since we may eventually move to an area with currently has awful cell phone service. I hope that the external antennas on our cars turn out to be good enough without installing amplifiers. I wish Wilson would come up with a single amplifier that would work on all bands -- it seems a bit much to have to match the amplifier to a specific band.

Thanks, 1990LS400, for such a comprehensive reply.

I didn't know that there might be the possibility of an in-glass cellular antenna. If it still exists in the new models, Lexus keeps this a secret.

Not wanting to drill a hole in my brand-new car, I inquired with one of the parts guys at the dealer to determine if there was such a thing as a dual cellular-GPS antenna to replace the standard rear roof-mounted GPS antenna. He assured me that there was no such thing. Maybe there's an aftermarket solution that I haven't yet found.

I toyed with the idea of a glass-mount antenna on the rear window but I didn't like the aesthetics of it being off-center and so close to the GPS antenna. Also, there's a rather large signal loss in the through-the-glass coupling along with the potenial for wind noise associated with a 3 to 5 db gain antenna (I experienced this with my 1998 LS400).

I also thought about the on-glass "decal" antennas and those similar to what you mentioned. The rear antenna/defroster interferes, leaving the windshield the only other option, thus putting the antenna near the driver or front passenger--another issue I wanted to avoid.

I had seen a photo of the Kuda mounts before and didn't think much, but now seeing better pics, I may consider that option. It seems a more elegant solution.

I'll do more complete research on the potential built-in antenna issue before drilling.

There should be almost no need to drill.

You should be able to route the wire through the trunk and around (under) the weather strip seal on the trunk lid . This would also allow the wire to hide along the edge of the rear window pretty much how my XM is installed on my roof. Does the razr even have a plug for an external antenna?

Not wanting to drill a hole in my brand-new car,

FYI, it might helpful to others if you put the year of your LS430 in the "car model" field or in your "signature".

If your LS430 is "brand-new" and includes Bluetooth, consider getting a "Bluetooth Complimentary Kit" available from Lexus in the U.K.

Until recently, there was a link on the U.K. Lexus LS430 webpage to an accessory catalog describing this kit. The link seems to now be missing but here is a link to the accessory catalog for the GS which contains what appears to be the same Bluetooth Complimentary Kit that was shown in the LS430 catalog: http://www.lexus.co.uk/Images/GS430Accesso...m254-198432.pdf

Here is the text from the Lexus GS accessories catalog:

"BLUETOOTH COMPLEMENTARY KIT Communication is the very essence of modern life. The Lexus Bluetooth complementary kit improves the organization and quality of telephony as you drive. The system's ingenious interchangable cable-less cradle sits neatly in the central armrest where it not only keeps your phone secure but also recharges the battery. Adding to this is a discreet external antenna which enhances reception while minimising the effects of electro-magnetic interference. Importantly, you can take the cradle and your phone to use in another car fitted with the same system. Similarly, if someone else with a different phone wants to use your car, or if you change your phone, all you need to do is change the cradle and not the whole kit."

I remember from the LS430 accessory catalog that the kit's cradle goes in the center armrest -- same as in the GS.

Besides the Bluetooth kit, the U.K. GS accessories catalog contains everything that was in the last U.K. LS430 accessories catalog I saw: trailer hitch, rear and car-top bike racks, ski rack, ski box, surf board carrier, etc., etc.

Yes, SKperformance, the Motorola RAZR V3 does have a port for an external antenna.

I want a permanently-mounted antenna, but intend to use the magnet-mount antennas for evaluation purposes only.

Thanks again, Jim, for the response and for the link to the Lexus UK site. I've updated my profile to indicate that my LS430 is indeed, a 2006 model.

I had time to do some serious Googling today and I think I've found the solution:

Hirschmann makes a series of combination GPS/GSM/cellular antennas and some of them appear to be nearly a direct replacement for the existing GPS antenna. One in particular, the GPS 940 V Flex, looks like it'll be perfect; it even has 5.1 db gain for cellular. Take a look at ftp://ftp.hirschmann.de/pub/montage/GPS_940_V_FLEX.pdf for the data sheet. The full line can be seen at http://www.hirschmann-car.com.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for a reply from Lexus customer service with regard to the possible in-glass antenna option.

I inquired with Lexus Customer Satisfaction about a possible built-in cellular antenna. Here's the response:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We appreciate your interest in the Lexus brand. The 2006 LS 430 is equipped with a Glass-imprinted antenna system in the rear window and a roof-mounted fixed antenna. The Lexus phone system is integrated into the vehicle. It is pre wired to work with the vehicle's audio, electronic, and climate control systems. Listed below are the function, benefit, and details of the AM/FM radio antenna system.

Function:

AM/FM radio antenna system with FM diversity receptor is imprinted in the rear glass; the fixed antenna on the roof can be used for the Lexus cell phone

Benefit:

Diversity receptor strengthens FM reception; phone antenna does not have to be added when phone is installed

Details:

The LS 430’s rear window features a rear glass-imprinted antenna system that provides AM/FM stereo reception. The vehicle’s radio receiver compares signals from two different types of FM antennas imprinted in the glass and chooses the stronger one.

In addition, the LS 430 comes standard with a roof-mounted fixed antenna that can be used for the available Lexus cell phone.

What wasn't answered was how I access the built-in antenna and the specifications (e.g., is it unity gain; frequency coverage; etc.). I"ll have to find someone knowledgeable at the dealer service department.

On another note, Hirschmann says the GPS 940 V Flex isn't available in the U.S. and isn't recommended for U.S. cellular frequencies.

Anybody know where the external connector is on the LS430? I'm assuming it's somewhere in the center console?

I inquired with Lexus Customer Satisfaction about a possible built-in cellular antenna. Here's the response:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We appreciate your interest in the Lexus brand. The 2006 LS 430 is equipped with a Glass-imprinted antenna system in the rear window and a roof-mounted fixed antenna. The Lexus phone system is integrated into the vehicle. It is pre wired to work with the vehicle's audio, electronic, and climate control systems. Listed below are the function, benefit, and details of the AM/FM radio antenna system.

Function:

AM/FM radio antenna system with FM diversity receptor is imprinted in the rear glass; the fixed antenna on the roof can be used for the Lexus cell phone

Benefit:

Diversity receptor strengthens FM reception; phone antenna does not have to be added when phone is installed

Details:

The LS 430’s rear window features a rear glass-imprinted antenna system that provides AM/FM stereo reception. The vehicle’s radio receiver compares signals from two different types of FM antennas imprinted in the glass and chooses the stronger one.

In addition, the LS 430 comes standard with a roof-mounted fixed antenna that can be used for the available Lexus cell phone.

What wasn't answered was how I access the built-in antenna and the specifications (e.g., is it unity gain; frequency coverage; etc.). I"ll have to find someone knowledgeable at the dealer service department.

On another note, Hirschmann says the GPS 940 V Flex isn't available in the U.S. and isn't recommended for U.S. cellular frequencies.

Anybody know where the external connector is on the LS430? I'm assuming it's somewhere in the center console?

The saga continues:

I spoke with the "expert" at my local dealer today.

He said that it appears that there is only a single coaxial cable coming from the GPS antenna and that it terminates into the GPS unit. He says that the optional Lexus Link (similar to OnStar) hooks up to that unit and makes use of the GPS antenna. It appears to him that the antenna cannot be used with a standard cellular or GSM telephone--not what Lexus Customer Satisfaction says.

So, now I've called Lexus Customer Satisfaction again today to try to get to the bottom of this.

I'd prefer not to replace the existing antenna and go through the apparently major job of removing the headliner. I'd prefer a clean installation as opposed to drilling a hole in the trunk. The antenna would work better on the roof anyway.

I can't believe that I'm the first person ever to want to do this. :(

Update:

Lexus Customer Satisfaction just called and confirmed that the antenna only operates with the Lexus Link, not a cell phone.

So I will attempt to remove the headliner and replace the existing GPS antenna with the Hirschmann 916 V Flex antenna which does do the job.

Time to start a new thread: "How to remove the headliner in an LS 430 without setting off the curtain air bags."

I know the 01-03 models were pre-wired for an external antenna for the Lexus dual-mode cellular phone, however this was an old Sprint unit so I don't know what the size or specs were. I believe the antenna is somewhere in the maze of aerials in the rear window glass. I'm not surprised that nobody seems to know about it; the Lexus integrated phone systems seem to have been a dark art in their day.

:chairshot:

Does anybody know if the UK convenience kits connect to the existing wiring? This would lead us to believe that the external antenna and the phone power connectors are still there under the center console. Alternatively the kit could also include an external antenna that the dealer would somehow install.

I believe the wiring for the GPS antenna on the top of the car (or whatever antenna the Lexus Link system uses) might still be in the trunk as that antenna is also probably used for the G-book Alpha service in Japan and similar service in other countries. I believe the mounting location for LL is up underneath the parcel shelf on the right side of the trunk. If you search this forum for Lexus Link or for the XM stereo installation instructions (that unit installs directly under the LL box) you'll get more detailed info as far as placement and possible wiring locations. Sewell Lexus has some instructions on their website.

It seems like you might as well try the built in antenna before you go through the hassle of ripping the car apart to replace it. If you have to wire your own you might also want to look into placing the antenna behind a bumper somewhere; the plastic should be radio transparent. You might not get the same coverage that you would get with the antenna higher up but the wiring might be a little easier and it would be out of sight.

Good luck!

From the owners faq on lexus.com:

For the LS 430, does the Lexus Dual Mode phone use the roof-mounted antenna?

If the vehicle is not equipped with Lexus Link, the phone will use the roof-mounted antenna.If the vehicle is equipped with Lexus Link, the phone antenna will be mounted on the lower inside edge of the rear window.

So I guess if you don't have Lexus link the top antenna can work for at least some phone frequencies...

Thanks jainla!

So the mystery deepens. Here I was thinking that the Lexus Link was a satellite-based service when it's really not. :blushing: So that antenna must work on some of the cellular/GSM bands--just what I was hoping for.

So now what I need to find are all of the technical specifications for the first generation of Lexus Link. That'll tell me what I need to know.

Lexus says that first-generation Lexus Link is analog. That means that it's a virtual certainty that the antenna is designed for the 824-894 MHz cellular band; hard to say about the 1850-1990 MHz band. Lexus Link is contracted to OnStar, which uses Verizon as a carrier.

Right now I have the trunk torn apart so I can examine the navigation controller area. I found the terminus of a coaxial cable that I'm certain goes to the antenna. It has a non-standard square-ish connector so hooking up to it won't be easy.

Can anyone help me find the technical specs on the first-generation Lexus Link? Alternatively, having the specs for the defunct Lexus dual-mode phone should answer the question as well.

I'm pretty sure the much maligned Lexus Dual-Mode phone is actually an OEM version of the Touchpoint 2200. Made by Denso and sold by Qualcomm and/or LG. Sprint was the carrier. I'm sure a Google search will give you what you need.

The Lexus Link system mounts on the right side of the trunk under the parcel shelf (I think I posted a link to the XM installation guide where you can see it). I'm not sure if the rooftop antenna shares the GPS system or not; was your square connector plugged into anything?

Lexus Link has GPS (so you weren't totally wrong :wacko: ) to determine location but the voice and datalinks back to Onstar itself are cellular. The system is analog only (which is why they cancelled the Gen1 system sales and are offering to remove it).

Alternatively check out http://techinfo.lexus.com/. You can subscribe for 24 hours for $10 and download schematics etc. on PDF. I don't know if they'll have the installation guide; but there is a TSB out for the LS430 to remove the Lexus Link system so perhaps the directions and hookup schematics are in there.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Thanks jainla!

So the mystery deepens. Here I was thinking that the Lexus Link was a satellite-based service when it's really not. :blushing: So that antenna must work on some of the cellular/GSM bands--just what I was hoping for.

So now what I need to find are all of the technical specifications for the first generation of Lexus Link. That'll tell me what I need to know.

Lexus says that first-generation Lexus Link is analog. That means that it's a virtual certainty that the antenna is designed for the 824-894 MHz cellular band; hard to say about the 1850-1990 MHz band. Lexus Link is contracted to OnStar, which uses Verizon as a carrier.

Right now I have the trunk torn apart so I can examine the navigation controller area. I found the terminus of a coaxial cable that I'm certain goes to the antenna. It has a non-standard square-ish connector so hooking up to it won't be easy.

Can anyone help me find the technical specs on the first-generation Lexus Link? Alternatively, having the specs for the defunct Lexus dual-mode phone should answer the question as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't given up yet. I asked the local service manager to get the specifications of the antenna for me and he assured me that he would.

It's been a week. I'll give him a few more days to come up with an answer.

I haven't given up yet. I asked the local service manager to get the specifications of the antenna for me and he assured me that he would.

It's been a week. I'll give him a few more days to come up with an answer.

It seems to be a fairly broad spectrum antenna; the install instructions for the Lexus/Nokia Integrated phone also indicate that you can connect it for the external antenna option. This was a GSM Nokia 6310i.

These directions also indicate that the LS430 DOES NOT have an aerial in the rear window glass for cellular; if the Lexus Link system is also installed the dealer has to affix a decal-type antenna to the rear window glass for the celluar system.

The install directions also indicate that there are TWO coax connectors; one to the wiring in the center console and one to the antenna itself. The connector for the center console is up on the back of the right rear-wheel well, the other one seems to be near the navi CPU.