91 Ls400 175k W/ Leaking Ps, No A/c

zorax2

Within the next couple of weeks, I plan on purchasing a newer Lexus – most likely a ’98 to ’00 model. This is in part driven by the fact that my wife thinks that will be a better choice than continuing to maintain the ’91 to a high standard.

I bought the ’91 in 1994 as a CPO vehicle and have had nearly all the service done at the Lexus dealership. I’ve got a set of Michelin MXV4 Plus tires with a lot of wear left in them. Cosmetically the car looks great with glossy paint and a very nice interior including heated seats and the Nakamichi. I’ve already replaced the A/C head. I replaced the lower ball joints and also had new spark plug wires and other electrical components replaced at the dealer. In general, I’ve done everything right with maintenance without deferring anything. The car runs as quiet as ever and remains a pleasure to drive even with 170K miles on it. I still love this car as much as ever in many ways.

Nevertheless, the usual maintenance issues are starting to appear in spite of me giving the car meticulous care:

1. PS Pump is beginning to leak. Dealer quotes about $1850 to replace pump and high pressure hose. I’m guessing this could be done at an independent for less than $900.

2. There is apparently some buildup on the rear air suspension struts. I haven’t had any sagging or other problems yet so this could probably be left go for a while. Options include dealer w/ OEM parts for about $1,850, independent with reman struts at $495 each plus labor or a coil-over conversion.

3. The A/C Compressor and receiver/dryer need to be replaced. Unfortunately, I had an import shop “repair” my A/C system rather than Lexus. I think I ended up being a guinea pig as the shop replaced virtually everything else in the A/C system to the tune of nearly $3,000 over multiple visits and I still ended up with no A/C – lesson learned!

4. When having the vehicle inspected for potential repairs, the dealership commented that the rear main oil seal may need replacing at a cost of $970. I’ve never noticed any oil consumption so I imagine this could be deferred for a long time.

5. The antenna mast sticks about 3” out. The motor is still good but I think a new mast is about $60.

6. The front brakes will need replacing soon – dealer estimate of $320.

7. The timing belt and water pump is normally replaced at 180K. Given this is a non-interference engine, this could also possibly wait.

As you can see, it seems to make no financial sense to my wife to continue to maintain this car at the Lexus dealership. If I could swing a wrench or find a way to do the maintenance inexpensively, the story might be different.

So – what is a car like this worth? What should I ask for and more importantly what should I accept for it? I think it would be an awesome car for a student that would last a long time simply by replacing the PS pump and driving the car ‘til it can’t go any longer. The car might also be a great car for someone with mechanical aptitude. And, shudder to think it – but parting out the car might be valuable (though I’m not willing to do that myself).

Also, where is the best place to try to sell this – the local paper, Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, eBay?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Within the next couple of weeks, I plan on purchasing a newer Lexus – most likely a ’98 to ’00 model. This is in part driven by the fact that my wife thinks that will be a better choice than continuing to maintain the ’91 to a high standard.

I bought the ’91 in 1994 as a CPO vehicle and have had nearly all the service done at the Lexus dealership. I’ve got a set of Michelin MXV4 Plus tires with a lot of wear left in them. Cosmetically the car looks great with glossy paint and a very nice interior including heated seats and the Nakamichi. I’ve already replaced the A/C head. I replaced the lower ball joints and also had new spark plug wires and other electrical components replaced at the dealer. In general, I’ve done everything right with maintenance without deferring anything. The car runs as quiet as ever and remains a pleasure to drive even with 170K miles on it. I still love this car as much as ever in many ways.

Nevertheless, the usual maintenance issues are starting to appear in spite of me giving the car meticulous care:

1. PS Pump is beginning to leak. Dealer quotes about $1850 to replace pump and high pressure hose. I’m guessing this could be done at an independent for less than $900.

2. There is apparently some buildup on the rear air suspension struts. I haven’t had any sagging or other problems yet so this could probably be left go for a while. Options include dealer w/ OEM parts for about $1,850, independent with reman struts at $495 each plus labor or a coil-over conversion.

3. The A/C Compressor and receiver/dryer need to be replaced. Unfortunately, I had an import shop “repair” my A/C system rather than Lexus. I think I ended up being a guinea pig as the shop replaced virtually everything else in the A/C system to the tune of nearly $3,000 over multiple visits and I still ended up with no A/C – lesson learned!

4. When having the vehicle inspected for potential repairs, the dealership commented that the rear main oil seal may need replacing at a cost of $970. I’ve never noticed any oil consumption so I imagine this could be deferred for a long time.

5. The antenna mast sticks about 3” out. The motor is still good but I think a new mast is about $60.

7. The timing belt and water pump is normally replaced at 180K. Given this is a non-interference engine, this could also possibly wait.

As you can see, it seems to make no financial sense to my wife to continue to maintain this car at the Lexus dealership. If I could swing a wrench or find a way to do the maintenance inexpensively, the story might be different.

So – what is a car like this worth? What should I ask for and more importantly what should I accept for it? I think it would be an awesome car for a student that would last a long time simply by replacing the PS pump and driving the car ‘til it can’t go any longer. The car might also be a great car for someone with mechanical aptitude. And, shudder to think it – but parting out the car might be valuable (though I’m not willing to do that myself).

Also, where is the best place to try to sell this – the local paper, Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, eBay?

Looks like you overpaid for some of your repairs. Maybe it is due to your location. For example, I only paid $1000 dollars to replace my AC, and I switched it over to R134 while I was at it. Also, if it is just the high pressure hose that is leaking and not the actual pump, you can have a hose manufactured for much less than replacing the pump. The guy I bought mine from did this, and I haven't had any problems with it 150K miles later.

To answer your question: I don't know about the other options you mentioned, but everytime I used the local paper, whatever I was trying to sell was sold within 2 days, at the price, or close to, the price I was asking. To check how much your car is worth, I would use one of the pricing websites (NADA.com, edmunds.com, kellybluebook.com, etc). The mileage might scare many buyers away who don't know anything about Lexus. I have 278K miles on mine, and have spent less on maintenance than on any other cars I have owned that didn't even have 1/4 the mileage.

I bought the ’91 in 1994 as a CPO vehicle and have had nearly all the service done at the Lexus dealership.

mistake number 1. truthfully most of the info presented here (LOC.com) dealers have no knowledge of. None. ask them about "cleaning the solenoid screen on the steering rack." see what answer you get. then see how much they charge! HAHAHA! sorry a lil carried away. If the car is paid then i'd say keep it. The 90-00(yes all ten years) are so similar, you could use the old one as testing grounds for IF anything goes wrong on the new one. I firmly believe that what you don't know you pay someone who does, so learn everything. you've found the website (LOC.com) now use it until you have no more problems. example the "thousand dollar PS pump" issuse can be fixed for $2 or less. buy a PS rated hose 3/8" I.D. 6" long and replace the old one. use a turkey baster to get the old fluid out and put it right back in. $1000+ for a PS leak! what a rip! do you see what i'm getting at. Why throw away a Dali for a Picasso? keep both and your really in business!

But if you do decide to sell, a 1990 with similar miles but no NAK or heated seats goes for $6900 and about $3000 private seller. so for a 1991 with all maintence records i'd prob say $4-5K depending on who inquires. In Columbus, OH no LS sits for more than two weeks with a for sale sign, like hot cakes they go. so if you really wanna stretch it, that would be justifiable: curb appeal of "LEXUS" is worth a few grand and the fact that the car will go at least 100K more miles, be quite as a mouse and smooth as silk. a stretch wouldn't really be a stretch.

Good Luck! :cheers:

Did you park your car (a grey one) with the for sale sign at eden prairie best buy a few weeks ago?

VH

Nope that wasn't me.

[but if you do decide to sell, a 1990 with similar miles but no NAK or heated seats goes for $6900 and about $3000 private seller. so for a 1991 with all maintence records i'd prob say $4-5K depending on who inquires.:cheers:

Wow! It's hard to believe someone would pay $4-5K knowing the PS Pump and A/C need repair. The KBB lists the Private Party value as $4,910 exc, $4415 good and $3795 fair condition. However, by their definition, my LS is not in fair condition due to the mechanical work needed. My car does have the heated seats and Nakamichi.

This one is paid for but I did pull the trigger on a clean 99 LS400 with 75K, navigation, heated seats, etc. My wife is thrilled with it.

So I've definitely got to sell the '91. So do all of you believe it's reasonable to ask (and expect to get) $4K for it with the list of items I've given?

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Would you consider swapping the passenger side front light assembly with my son's assembly? His still works but the glass all smashed up (he nudged a school bus !!!) since I thought tha t you had to sell the car in not a so good condition?

Thanks

VH

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Would you consider swapping the passenger side front light assembly with my son's assembly? His still works but the glass all smashed up (he nudged a school bus !!!) since I thought tha t you had to sell the car in not a so good condition?

Thanks

VH

No - I'm going to try to sell the car "as-is" and complete.

4K sounds reasonable. you've got the highest model available for the year (NAK stereo and heated seats) minus those terrible air struts which cost about 4K to repair. i paid 4K for a 90 LS no TRAC, Heated seats, or NAK stereo. it's all in who inquires. would i do it now... NO, but since i didn't know better, oh well. haven't seen a local one for cheaper, seen some on eBay but thats not available to all. 4k minimum sounds good to me. i'd check in some local auto magazines to see how many LS's you see for sale and what prices. if you find none then push the price! but also remember you've got one of the best equipped models for that year LS and most years of other brands. Good Luck with the NEW LS!

Just sold my 91 LS 400 this weekend to private party for $2300.

Here's what was wrong with it:

1. slow oil leak - about a quart every 3000 miles

2. low rpm - needed to hit overdrive off switch to get up to speed on highway on ramps.

3. major crack in front windshield

4. 3 out of 4 windows did not roll up under power (only with manual assist).

5. speedometer off by 8 mph

6. gas guage inconsistant

7. interior ok, but 15 years of wear on leather with small cut in driver seat. some carpet stains

8. LCD out on a/c and radio but a/c worked great.

9. antenna shaft bent

10. exterior - two areas of small body work damage due to low speed impact (eg parking lot speed) and other misc. minor scratches. paint ok with minor clearcoat damage in one spot. Driver side door latch broken.

11. timing belt replaced 90K ago

alternator and power steering rack (etc) had just been replaced in 2004.

I drove this car 5 times across the country and never worried about breaking down. Sold it with just over 172K on it.

My logic for pricing was:

Looked at Kelly Blue Book - $4100 for "fair" condition for comp. year and mileage.

Dropped price by $1000 because I thought mine had more wrong with it that "fair" condition description.

Then got the crack in the windshield and dropped it by $500 for replacement allowance.

When it listed at $3100 (before cracked windshield) didn't get many calls (btw, I listed it on autotrader.com with pics....good deal). When I dropped to $2600, got a lot more calls.

I was satisfied. I bought the car in 1997 with 71k miles for $12K I just bought a 92 LS with 63K miles for $7700 and am really happy with the car....even though I just had to replace the a/c compressor. Still, a great car in beautiful condition.

Good luck,

Catmo

Great information! I'm trying to follow the same logic you did. Other than some mechanical issues - the Power Steering is in my mind the only critical issue, my car looks fabulous inside and out. Paint and interior are very nice, I've got full records and have owned the car since 40K miles.

I listed the vehicle today in the local paper which included a listing on Cars.com for $3,495 or best offer. My thought is that it is better for someone to buy my extremely clean vehicle knowing the repairs up front as compared to spending $5K to $8K for a similar vehicle and having to spend for the same repairs on those vehicles.

Hopefully it's priced reasonably. If not, I'll be making some adjustments.

Thanks for the advice! It'll be interesting to see how this goes.