2006 Gs Rough Ride

On tire pressure......

On the trip, the tires "were found" to be at 37/38 lbs. The car rode and handled great (trunk was full).

Asked Park Place and was told they normally run the tires at 37 not 33.

fyi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On tire pressure......

On the trip, the tires "were found" to be at 37/38 lbs. The car rode and handled great (trunk was full).

Asked Park Place and was told they normally run the tires at 37 not 33.

fyi

Thanks for the information. Local Lexus dealer air it to 36 - 37 psi, but the service department run at 33 psi. I feel GS runs better at higher tire pressure instead of factory recommend 33 psi.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems warm weather improved the ride comfort. Especially when the temperature is higher than 100 F. I notice stiffer ride just two days ago when the temperature drop down to 75 F. This will explain why the OE Dunlop tire was so smooth when I first purchase GS in last August. Temperature is 100 plus everyday.

• 1 year later...

my mother purchased a 07 GS300 after having cadillac devilles for a number of years. the GS300 has the Dunlop run flats and the ride is rough. she loves the car but hates the ride. i have been reading the forum posts and it appears that replaceing the run flats with traditional tires will improve the ride. my mother is not concerned about performance at high speeds. which brand of tire will give the best improvement in ride. would appreciate suggestions.

The conti series tires will give you a very comfortable ride, the tarde off is weaker sidewalls. As with any vehicle with runflats, when you switch them to non runflats, amke sure you have a spare tire.

I just came back from Lexus dealer. A friendly salesman let me test drive both ES350 and GS300. These are two different cars. As soon as I starts test drive the ES350, I realize that there is no way to go to ES350. The ride on the ES is too soft compare with GS. Surprisingly, the salesman recommend that I better kept the GS because of the depreciation is so high on first year ownership. If I really don't like current GS, it is better to wait for the new GS350 rollout in September 2006 . The question is, we do not know the ride will improved on the GS350 compare to GS300.

I also went to BMW dealer later on. Steve, you are right that the BMW is not smoother than Lexus.

I might try another tire. Will the summer tire get any better on the ride comfort catagory? I noticed some GS owners who choose Pirelli PZero Nero and Michelin Pilot PS2 19" summer tire. I don't have summer tire experience. My friend owns E500 who use Dunlop SP Sport 9000 18" summer tire. There are only 19" Pirelli PZero Nero, Michelin Sport PS2 and Dunlop SP Sport 9000 matches GS on the Tire Rack. Will 19" summer tires stiffer than my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 17" tires? Or I should give up some handling to go for the grand touring all season tire like Bridgestone Turanza LS-V or Continental ContiProContact 17" tire.

Anyone has comments or suggestions? Appreciate your help!

My gs with run flats was a very rough ride after about 6 months I replaced them with Falken made by dunlop,much better ride

• 2 weeks later...

I am coming off an ES with 16 inch wheels which was very smooth.

However, I am really liking the ride of my 06 GS. It has the run flats (Dunlop SP SST 5000 somethings) but are a 17 inch tire.

The other thing I am getting reacquainted with is a primarily RWD system.

steviej

• 11 months later...

After twice replacing the Dunlop OEM tires on my 2006 GS 300 due to them waring down quiclkly and a terribly rought ride (one time the dealer split 50/50 with me, the next time I had to buy them), I put Goodyear Eagle Repsonse Edge Tires on my car... at 27,000. The car was transformed. It drove quietly and much more smoothly than with the OEM tires, however, when I took a turn hard, drove in the rain, .. the tires gripped the road very well. I now have 64,000 miles on my GS, with the SAME SET OF TIRES... which are now ready to be replaced. I would highly recommend these tires.

On another note, either my shocks are going bad or my suspension is failing, as even a small ripple in the road makes nosie and a slight shudder.

• 9 months later...
my mother purchased a 07 GS300 after having cadillac devilles for a number of years. the GS300 has the Dunlop run flats and the ride is rough. she loves the car but hates the ride. i have been reading the forum posts and it appears that replaceing the run flats with traditional tires will improve the ride. my mother is not concerned about performance at high speeds. which brand of tire will give the best improvement in ride. would appreciate suggestions.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 17" is my choice. I am on the second set of this tire. Remember to air up your tire to at least 35 psi.

• 1 month later...
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 17" is my choice. I am on the second set of this tire. Remember to air up your tire to at least 35 psi.
Reading about your adventures was pretty entertaining, thank you.

My experience was bland (compared to yours) but very satisfying. I drove 33K miles on the same tires my 2006 GS430 was equipped in Japan with: Turanza EL 42 245/40 R18. The only time I experience 'harsh ride' is when I ride on worn-out freeways like I-5 near Seattle or in the most of California. On smother highways the ride/handling is superb, the road noise barely noticeable, and the driver's seat is the most comfortable seat I ever sat in.