Tired Tires

Costco is good if you want OK price and limited tire options. If you want to save more $ and want to pick your own shop and tire, go to www.tirerack.com for more tires and a list of approved shop in LA.

I bought 4 Yokohama Geolander (w/ 60K treadlife warranty) two years ago for $320 shipped. Install them at EF1 in Long Beach (http://www.ef1motorsports.net) for $16 per tire, including mounting, balancing, old tire disposal.

The shop is clean and use torque wrench to hand torque your lug nuts, other places such as Costco or dealer use impact wrench to over-tighten lug nuts.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Little cheaper than the MXVs. Very grippy on dry pavement, awesome in the rain as I have found out lately. We are averaging 2-4 inches of rain a day for the last 4 days. Very quiet on all pavements.

steviej

Cheaper even after you factor in what Costco charges? I had 4 MXV4s mounted on my car for $540 at Costco including lifetime balance and rotation, road hazard etc. Nitrogen filled (whoopee! lol)

I will probably try the Exaltos next though.

had 4 MXV4s mounted on my car for $540 at Costco including lifetime balance and rotation, road hazard etc. Nitrogen filled (whoopee! lol)

I wonder if the "whoopee" is real or just sarcasm. That is one of the bad things with electronic forums. Actually, Nitrogen is a great idea for tires. You will lose far less air pressure from nitrogen than regular air. Commercial airplanes are required to use nitrogen for tire filling for the reduction in tire explosion etc. If I had cheap access to N2 I would use it in all of my cars, especially those with porous aluminum wheels.

Gary

Anyone have any economical recommendations for tire replacement, Lexus says it $1000 with them. mine are due to be replaced soon but i have time to shop. What about Costco?

Firestone is currently running a special through June 3rd on the Dueler H/T with a buy 3 get 1 free. Those providing reviews at TireRack have given this tire good ratings and it is available in both the normal 17" and plus-1 18" sizes for the RX330.

Personally, while I have liked Michelins on my vehicles over the years I have not be overly impressed by the those that came stock on my RX. Peformance and ride characteristics have fallen off dramatically from new with only 30K on the tires. If I needed new tires at the moment I might be replacing these now with the the Duelers.

As for the Exaltos, not sure they are available in the normal sizes for the RX330.

Firestone is currently running a special through June 3rd on the Dueler H/T with a buy 3 get 1 free. Those providing reviews at TireRack have given this tire good ratings and it is available in both the normal 17" and plus-1 18" sizes for the RX330.

java script:emoticon('%20:wacko:',%20'smid_7')

Let me retract this part of my comment as the RX330 takes the H/L which is not on sale. The rest stands, and I would still consider the Firestone regardless of price.

had 4 MXV4s mounted on my car for $540 at Costco including lifetime balance and rotation, road hazard etc. Nitrogen filled (whoopee! lol)

I wonder if the "whoopee" is real or just sarcasm. That is one of the bad things with electronic forums. Actually, Nitrogen is a great idea for tires. You will lose far less air pressure from nitrogen than regular air. Commercial airplanes are required to use nitrogen for tire filling for the reduction in tire explosion etc. If I had cheap access to N2 I would use it in all of my cars, especially those with porous aluminum wheels.

Gary

It was sarcastic. True, nitrogen has benefits when used in situations where the stress on tires is extreme. However, in your passenger car where you're going to be adjusting the air pressure yourself and the dealer will anyways I would defy anyone to come up with real data showing that nitrogen does ANYTHING for a car owner that makes it worthwhile to PURCHASE air for your tires. Costco provides it free, free is fine but I don't worry about replacing it with nitrogen. The alluminum wheels are a perfect example. You may see less corrosion with nitrogen...if you own the car 40 years. If you own it 10, you're not going to see any benefit.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any economical recommendations for tire replacement, Lexus says it $1000 with them. mine are due to be replaced soon but i have time to shop. What about Costco?

Personally, while I have liked Michelins on my vehicles over the years I have not be overly impressed by the those that came stock on my RX. Peformance and ride characteristics have fallen off dramatically from new with only 30K on the tires. If I needed new tires at the moment I might be replacing these now with the the Duelers.

As for the Exaltos, not sure they are available in the normal sizes for the RX330.

I'm soo *BLEEP*ed i missed out on this special at tirerack. I could have saved $75 bucks in buying four tires. :chairshot: I was going to buy the Alenza's too. Now those tires got awesome ratings on tirerack and I have heard nothing but good things about them.