Gx470 Vs Mercedes M-class Vs Bmw X5

Stock

I'm in a quandry...

I'm not certain which of the three vehicles I should purchase. I've test driven the Range Rover Sport and really did not understand all the hype. It is a terrific looking car, but the ride just isn't...isn't...well it just isn't butta' as we like to say, when compared to the GX or LX for that matter. I also don't care for the problems I'm hearing about any of the Range Rover series. AND! I don't care to be given a Ford in the interim when I bring my 60K+ vehicle in for servicing.

I drove the X5. Again, not butta' but the fiestiness under the hood really makes you want to drive it. Very sport-like feel. I refuse to buy the X5 because they are completely redoing the body inside and out come 07'. My car would be old before it left the dealer lot. AND! I don't care to be given a Toyota when I bring my 60K+ vehicle in for servicing.

So this brings the GX head to head with the new M-Class. Mercedes has some great options, actually too many, but we'll get into that later. They have more interior and exterior choices. Lexus really does need to offer more. Two color choices is a tad too conservative. The M-Class however, nickle and dimes you with every single little upgrade instead of just making them standard. I kid you not, their accessories/options range from $12 - $4,000 and there's at least 50 to choose from. This also makes it very difficult to get the car you want. You get what you get and don't throw a fit, as a 6 year old once told me. Well for $63k I'll throw a big fit!

Has anyone owned the M-Class? How were you treated by the Mercedes dealership? How does it drive? Butta?

Anyone owned the X5? I'm wondering what your experience was with BMW. Perhaps I could wait until the 07' is released in the fall.

I wish the GX had the easy access key. Like BMW and Mercedes, you only need have it in your pocket or purse to unlock and start the car.

Your thoughts are appreciated... Glad to be apart of the community and looking forward to building my post count.

I drove all of the vehicles you are comparing, most recently the new M Class. I had driven the old one before I bought my GX in 10/04, and didn't like it as well as the lexus at all. The new one is MUCH better. Even with the six, the more powerful 3.5 L six is not bad at all. A bit noisier then the V8 in the Lexus though. I have not driven the V8 M class to compare. Lexus has the best qualiity interiors, but the new M Calss is the equal of the one in the GX. Very tastfully done. The Mercedes reliability problems are a real concern though.

My GX has had nothing go wrong at all, not a squeek, not a rattle, nothing.

The BMW to me had too stiff of a ride. I suppose better for handling, but an SUV is not a sports car. If I wanted a sports car, I'd buy one. The GX has the plush ride I want.

The Land Rover LR3 was also a disappointment to me. It looks nice, and the interior is well done, but the drivetrain was not as smooth as my Lexus, and the transmission, or something, was lurching forward on take off. It didn't ride as well as the Lexus either. The third row seat was a bit more usable though. I won't even go into the less then stellar relaibility of the Rover brand.

Strindl,

Thanks a bunch for your indepth response. I'm going to test drive the M500 before making my decision. I've been reading opinions and reviews on the net that concur with your experiences. The more I read and understand I draw the conclusion that Lexus is much like my BlackBerry. It's solid, reliable, great support, but rather uninspiring. The GX doesn't have all the bells and whistles the M-Class has, but the navigation system is far superior to the Mercedes as well as the service.

The more I read and understand I draw the conclusion that Lexus is much like my BlackBerry. It's solid, reliable, great support, but rather uninspiring.

Thats actually a good comparison, the Lexus being like the BlackBerry and the Mercedes is a Treo650.

The Blackberry is well built and always works, but the Treo is flashier although it constantly crashes.

Oh yeah, we're geeks lol.

BlackBerry's don't have cameras at all, on purpose. Thats one of the big reasons why BlackBerry has so many government contracts, no cameras and the device is much more secure than a Treo. I know people who work for the government or government contracters where they have security clearance and they can't bring any type of PDA or cell phone on the premisis...unless its a BlackBerry.

This is off topic though LOL

• 2 weeks later...

We had an ML320 and gladly returned it after the lease was up. It drove great, looked nice, but there were all these pesky problems that kept happening. Windows that would not close, or moon roof that was stuck, or my favorite the machine gun door locks. Ours was a 2000MY so it was the second generation and we had it for 5 years. Now just picked up a GX470 with sport package and so far we are happy :D It arrived at the dealership on Wednesday so hopefully that clunking thing was already taken care of at the factory :rolleyes: I would avoid the MB like the plague, CR customer evals show that the MB are totally failing in the quality standards.

We had an ML320 and gladly returned it after the lease was up. It drove great, looked nice, but there were all these pesky problems that kept happening. Windows that would not close, or moon roof that was stuck, or my favorite the machine gun door locks. Ours was a 2000MY so it was the second generation and we had it for 5 years. Now just picked up a GX470 with sport package and so far we are happy :D It arrived at the dealership on Wednesday so hopefully that clunking thing was already taken care of at the factory :rolleyes: I would avoid the MB like the plague, CR customer evals show that the MB are totally failing in the quality standards.

Yes, that was certainly one of my main deciding factors in going with the Lexus over the competition. I've had my 2004 GX since 10/1/2004 and have driven it in all types of conditions. From a 4,000 mile cross country road trip, including mountains and deserts, to blinding wisconsin blizzards. In all that time, not one thing has gone wrong with my Lexus...nothing.

It is plush, beautifully built, and has the smoothest most refined power train I have every experienced on a vehicle.

MB can make beautiful cars but they are one piece of SSSs after another.

Problem after problem , over and over again. With a service department that likes to blame the customer for damaging it ,not that it is actually a warranty problem.

The last range rover was nice as it was an X5, the new one is a ford but looks amazing, too bad that is where it ends.

The new X5 should be great , i would hold out and find out if you like to drive you cars or relax more. The X5's always beg to be driven.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their imput. I'm pretty much decided I will not be buying the M-Class. You're right, it looks night, but I think the buck stops there. They say the 2006 is much improved. I just don't like the feeling of putting down $60K on a roll of the die. I want a good track record.

I'm looking closer at the Volvo XC90 which was an option I had not considered. They are keeping the lid on the X5 rebuild. The 2006 test drive did make me want to do just that! Problem is sometimes I just want the feel of "butta". My business requires me to treck 2 hours home sometimes. And after a 7 hour meeting I don't want to drive, I want to be driven. Next best thing to that is butta and the ability to see over the top of all cars ahead to figure out WHY THE TRAFFIC JAM!!!

I finally spotted a blue GX470 on the road (which was the color I want) and boy did it l look sweet. You don't see too many (at all!) in that color.

I finally spotted a blue GX470 on the road (which was the color I want) and boy did it l look sweet. You don't see too many (at all!) in that color.

All of my vehicles have always been blue..I think I may be in a rut. I do love blue though..including my Meridian Blue GX.

• 6 months later...

I'm in a quandry...

I'm not certain which of the three vehicles I should purchase. I've test driven the Range Rover Sport and really did not understand all the hype. It is a terrific looking car, but the ride just isn't...isn't...well it just isn't butta' as we like to say, when compared to the GX or LX for that matter. I also don't care for the problems I'm hearing about any of the Range Rover series. AND! I don't care to be given a Ford in the interim when I bring my 60K+ vehicle in for servicing.

I drove the X5. Again, not butta' but the fiestiness under the hood really makes you want to drive it. Very sport-like feel. I refuse to buy the X5 because they are completely redoing the body inside and out come 07'. My car would be old before it left the dealer lot. AND! I don't care to be given a Toyota when I bring my 60K+ vehicle in for servicing.

So this brings the GX head to head with the new M-Class. Mercedes has some great options, actually too many, but we'll get into that later. They have more interior and exterior choices. Lexus really does need to offer more. Two color choices is a tad too conservative. The M-Class however, nickle and dimes you with every single little upgrade instead of just making them standard. I kid you not, their accessories/options range from $12 - $4,000 and there's at least 50 to choose from. This also makes it very difficult to get the car you want. You get what you get and don't throw a fit, as a 6 year old once told me. Well for $63k I'll throw a big fit!

Has anyone owned the M-Class? How were you treated by the Mercedes dealership? How does it drive? Butta?

Anyone owned the X5? I'm wondering what your experience was with BMW. Perhaps I could wait until the 07' is released in the fall.

I wish the GX had the easy access key. Like BMW and Mercedes, you only need have it in your pocket or purse to unlock and start the car.

Your thoughts are appreciated... Glad to be apart of the community and looking forward to building my post count.

I owned a 2003 BMW X5 with Sport package, cold weather package and premium package. It was what BMW calls Gray Green. I LOVE the way the BMW handles and I LOVE the power it had. I have a 2006 GX 470 right now. I have had the "clunk/thump". Some of the people on this forum have no idea what the "clunk/thump" is like to have or what it is caused by. The "clunk/thump" comes right after a stop at a stoplight. While sitting there waiting for the light to change, I felt the GX lunge forward, it felt like someone rear ended me. I checked my mirrors and there was no one behind me. This happened at almost every stoplight. I don't have KDSS. After several weeks of phone calls to the dealer, my clunk/thump was fixed(new drive shaft and control arms).

I really miss my X5. I loved the everything about that vehicle. One cool feature mine had was the load deck in the rear would slide out for easy loading and unloading. No more leaning over a dirty bumper to grap things up against the rear seat backs. If I can sell my GX 470 for a good price, I will buy the 2007 X5. I sold mine because I wanted navigation and my X5 didn't have it. The GX was about $10,000.00 cheaper too, but I wish I got the X5 now.

Good Luck

I owned a 2003 BMW X5 with Sport package, cold weather package and premium package.

Wow... your 2003 X5 had all three--Sports, Cold Weather, and Premium--packages! BMW options are so expensive that it is very hard to find an used BMW with so many options. Lucky the person who bought your 2003 X5! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a 2003 BMW X5 before purchasing my 2006 GX470.

The X5 was sportier, but it was not on par with the GX in terms of luxury (NAV/DVD/RSES/soft leather seats).

I haven't driven the 2007 X5, but they've made significant improvements on the interior styling. Looks very sharp.

Antonio.