What Wheel Size For Stock 90 Ls400?

Aryan

My mom just gave me her 90 LS400 with only 87,000 miles on it. I need new tires but I am going to go ahead and get new Wheels. I need to know will 18's or 19's fit without me changing any suspension components? I am gonna do the suspension up after I get the wheels to see where I want it to sit. Thanks peoples....Also about what should the offset need to be.

My mom just gave me her 90 LS400 with only 87,000 miles on it. I need new tires but I am going to go ahead and get new Wheels. I need to know will 18's or 19's fit without me changing any suspension components? I am gonna do the suspension up after I get the wheels to see where I want it to sit. Thanks peoples....Also about what should the offset need to be.

Stock tires on your car are 205-65-15, I would not go more then 3 sizes over stock, as that affects the whole suspension system, plus the ride. I'd stay with 18", and the perfect size for that would be 215-45-18 .

The tire will be slighty wider, and lower, 45 series is low.. any lower then that and u'll feel like you're riding a truck, so forget about smooth Lexus ride! Offset is very important, I think ona 1990 Ls it's 45mm, not sure.. do some searches on this forum and you'll find out, good luck! :cheers:

Stock tires on your car are 205-65-15, I would not go more then 3 sizes over stock, as that affects the whole suspension system, plus the ride. I'd stay with 18", and the perfect size for that would be 215-45-18 .

The tire will be slighty wider, and lower, 45 series is low.. any lower then that and u'll feel like you're riding a truck, so forget about smooth Lexus ride! Offset is very important, I think ona 1990 Ls it's 45mm, not sure.. do some searches on this forum and you'll find out, good luck! :cheers:

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my 94. THe chrome factory wheels have seen better days.

I was thinking of going 17 or 18 inch on it. Any similar recommendations?

THanks

JimA

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my 94. THe chrome factory wheels have seen better days.

I was thinking of going 17 or 18 inch on it. Any similar recommendations?

THanks

JimA

Hey Gunnut, personally I am not into aftermarket wheels for LS's, unless it;s a great looking wheel that matches the car, otherwise any ol' wheel just makes the LS look cheap. Having said that, if you must upgrade, then might as well go up to 18" , if you're choosing between 17" & 18". If you want to retain the same width as what U have now, then u need to get 225-50-18. If you want your tires to be a bit wider, then you can go up to 245-45-18. On the latest the rim needs to be between 7.5" and 9" , I'd stay in the middle cause if you go too wide you'll be scraping curbs.As far as the offset goes, don't take my word for it but I think yours is 45mm as well, hopefully someone knows that one. At one time I was thinking of upgrading my wheels as well. Instead I went with wheels from a 98-00 model, I got them on e-bay for about $400 wheels and tires, great looking wheels, and you wont; even need to change your tires if you get those. Let me put a link of my car with those.. ohh by the way.. dont mind that black molding, thats gone! The chrome fender arch?! I can;t do much about that .. the previous owner put them on and now the paint is discolored. Anyway.. this is what they would look like on your car as well, since you have a 94'. :cheers:

http://photobucket.com/albums/d69/falciott...nt=ls400005.jpg

Hey Gunnut, personally I am not into aftermarket wheels for LS's, unless it;s a great looking wheel that matches the car, otherwise any ol' wheel just makes the LS look cheap. Having said that, if you must upgrade, then might as well go up to 18" , if you're choosing between 17" & 18". If you want to retain the same width as what U have now, then u need to get 225-50-18. If you want your tires to be a bit wider, then you can go up to 245-45-18. On the latest the rim needs to be between 7.5" and 9" , I'd stay in the middle cause if you go too wide you'll be scraping curbs.As far as the offset goes, don't take my word for it but I think yours is 45mm as well, hopefully someone knows that one. At one time I was thinking of upgrading my wheels as well. Instead I went with wheels from a 98-00 model, I got them on e-bay for about $400 wheels and tires, great looking wheels, and you wont; even need to change your tires if you get those. Let me put a link of my car with those.. ohh by the way.. dont mind that black molding, thats gone! The chrome fender arch?! I can;t do much about that .. the previous owner put them on and now the paint is discolored. Anyway.. this is what they would look like on your car as well, since you have a 94'.:cheers:

http://photobucket.com/albums/d69/falciott...nt=ls400005.jpg

Are those 17 or 18 inch?

Great looking car.

JimA

it depends on how you want your car to look like in the long run.

if you want an aggressive fit and size, go 19by whatever with around 35 offset.

that will sit very flush once the car is lowered nicely.

but for a more simple look, go with 18s.

i recently bought some 18x8.5 wheels with 35offset for my '93.

testfitting the wheel on there, it sticks out just a tad.

this is want im going for tho, it just makes the car seem wider.

plus, i dont want to run super low profile tires, cuz im scared of

bending a rim or somthing...

Are those 17 or 18 inch?

Great looking car.

JimA

Thanx Jim, actually those are stock 16" from a 98-00 LS model, on Avon Tech MS550 tires, which are Z rated tires, economical tires, but for the price they;re better then other top tires out there, got them from Tirerack.

IMO, it is going to be substantially easier for Gunnut to get acceptable results with larger wheels on his 94 LS than for Aryan on his 90 LS.

The 93-94 LS had a number of suspension design changes from the 90-92 LS to make the ride acceptably soft with its larger OEM 16" wheels and 225/60-16 tires.

I suspect that a 90 LS with 18 or 19's will ride a lot harsher than a 94 LS with the corresponding wheel size.

Funny, I have seen complaints on the LS forums about ride harshness from people who have gone from a OEM 16" wheel to a 17" wheel. I can't imagine going from a 15 to a 19.

I've got 18 x 8s on my '94 with Goodrich KDWRs on them currently. The ride IMO improved when I made the upgrade from the original 16 x 7s. My first set of tires were Bridgestones but they were very harsh, sounded like off-road tires, and were very hard on the suspension due to very stiff sidewalls. The ride was fine, but the car tramlined like crazy and the noise was unbearable. But the Goodriches I installed last year are wonderful. They're quiet, more compliant, and the ride is great. Great in the rain too. Tire size is 235/50/ZR-18. Rim itself is the Moda R-6. I do have a bit of scrub on the front fender lip, but IMO that's due to the suspension bushings needing replacement. I have the Daizen front set, but I'm waiting patiently for the rear set before I install.

I got 17 inch chrome LS430 wheels on the 90 LS I just gave to my Mom.It still rides nice and looks awesome.The car is black jade.I am contemplating going to 18's on my IS as I think without a taller sidewall or the factory suspension being designed for 18's your ride will suffer greatly.

18's with a 1-1.5 drop would look nice. I have a buddy w/ a 94 that went with the SC 430 wheels and the car looks awesome.

We have another buddy with an SC 430 that is upgrading to 19's this weekend and I think he's selling his wheels.