Es Tire Question

kmb4701

Hi all,

I'm purchasing some new tires in the next couple of days, I'm coming out if the Michelin Energy

mxv4 plus tires. I thought they were awesome but at $150 a pop I just can't afford them. I've decided on

Dunlop Sport 4000 tires. My question is, since I'm not an aggressive driver or speed demon can I go with the H rated tires instead of v which the michelins were.

1) Has anyone else here switced from v to h?

2) What changes in handling can I expect to see if any?

Thnx

kev

*96 es300 105k

The 4000s are a very smooth and quiet tire but with significantly lower wear than the Michelins. You might want to think about the fact that the Dunlops are about half the cost, but wear about half as long as the Michelins. Its probably a wash costwise.

As for V vs H, the car was designed for V rated tires. Theres more to the difference between V and H rated tires than the speed you drive, the sidewall construction is different and so are the tread compounds. V rated tires will give you the smoother quieter ride.

the answer is yes,

Yyou can go to an H tire, you can even go to a T rated tire. But what are you willing to give up?

Each level down gives up more cornering stability, increases noise, decreases smoothness, etc.

I went to an H rated Dunlop Sport A2 and they were ok. They got very noisy at 20,000 miles.

They got swapped for a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (v rated though) and so far they are far superior. They were also $25 less than the Energy MXV4 Plus. Consider them.

A friend of mine has the Bridgestone LS-H (H for H rated) and loves them. I considered them, but my tire guy can't sell those particular Bridgies so I went with the Michies.

good luck.

steviej

ps: this has been moved to the tire and wheel seciton.

I got X-Radial from Michelin for my wife's 97 ES300 last November - highly rated by the Consumer Reports, cost under $100 at Sam's club (might be available at Costco as well). She is quite happy with them - went through the winter in Wisconsin without a problem. The only concern is that they are S rated, but as long as you do not drive fast - these should be fine.

My other suggestion is Bridgestone Turanza LS-H - I have them on my 97 STS and am quite satisfied. They get pretty good reviews on tirerack.com and decent price as well.

The only concern is that they are S rated, but as long as you do not drive fast - these should be fine.

I strongly disagree. S rated tires will significantly effect the way the car handles, and unfortunately you might not ever notice that until you're in an emergency situation.

The only concern is that they are S rated, but as long as you do not drive fast - these should be fine.

I strongly disagree. S rated tires will significantly effect the way the car handles, and unfortunately you might not ever notice that until you're in an emergency situation.

Have to agree with sw here.......an S speed rating is not recommended. :huh:

:cheers: