Rx400 First Oil Change

hi friend!

i am curious about the difference in milage to the first oil change between US and Europe. i always see that in the US the first oilchange has to be done around 5000 miles. here in europe we should do the first oil change around 9500 miles, at least this is what the lexus dealers tell us.

does anyone know what is the reason for this difference?

williz (from austria)

no, the 9500 miles are correct. lexus in europe is requesting the oil change every 15.000 km (and thats around 9.500 miles). and by the way my last mercedes had the oil change every 30.000 km!

so again, why is there such a big difference for oil change between the US and europe? is the oil quality in the US not as good?

williz

I'd have to see it in writing to believe it. Do you have a photo or link to the European version of the Factory Scheduled Maintenance Guide? When I traveled to Australia, Brzail and Mexico I checked Toyota owners manuals and found they required slightly more frequent oil changes than USA Toyotas.

Well I lived in Europe for 20 years and all the cars I had (mostly BMW) had oil change every 30000km which is about 18000miles. Also my BMW here had oil chnges every 15000 miles- so I don't know if it's up to the car or oil- but everytime I've used full sysntetic Castrol (except for mercedes that used Mobile1-also full syntetic). Question is wheather Lexus is using systetic in the states or not- probably not- that's why you have to do oil changes every 5000 miles. Also remember gasoline grade is much higher in europe-Premium over there is 98 and "regular" is 95 Oktans. I know one thing- I'm going to use full sysntetic no mather what and see when they want me to change it again. It makes totally no sense to change syntetic oil every 5000 mile.

As far as Brazil, Mexico and Australia- you have totally different driving conditions and you have to do it more frequently.

I'd have to see it in writing to believe it. Do you have a photo or link to the European version of the Factory Scheduled Maintenance Guide? When I traveled to Australia, Brzail and Mexico I checked Toyota owners manuals and found they required slightly more frequent oil changes than USA Toyotas.

this is out of lexus UK´s web site regarding RX400 maintenance:

1. Looking after your Lexus

We trust that you will enjoy your Lexus driving experience for years to come. To ensure this, regular maintenance is required to guarantee the security and reliability of your Lexus vehicle.

Lexus have developed a maintenace scheme containing all the necessary maintenance work to keep your vehicle in the best condition.

This scheme consists of:

1. Intermediate Lexus Care at 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

2. Full Lexus care at 20.000 miles or every two years, whichever comes first.

and "intermidiate care" is mainly oil change.

williz

no, the 9500 miles are correct. lexus in europe is requesting the oil change every 15.000 km (and thats around 9.500 miles). and by the way my last mercedes had the oil change every 30.000 km!

so again, why is there such a big difference for oil change between the US and europe? is the oil quality in the US not as good?

williz

It is mostly passing of oil spec's (from BMW, MB, VW etc). If you look at the oil break down, it is 99% the same thing. Then on the other side there are none Euro oils that are better then Euro cert oils. Over here (USA) it is a scam and many think they have to come in at 3K miles. Most do not even open there manuals. Most are 7,500 miles.

the big differerence is nothing new. I have not done a below 10K drain in over 12 years...For me, the book is a guide if you do not care, do not test or play it safe. It is only a guide.

If I tossed my group4/5 oil at 5,000 I would be wasting money. If I tossed it out at 10K I would be tossing money away.

I spoke to the manager at "All German Auto" a couple of years ago and he told me that they have been servicing many a German vehicle with severe oil sludge damage. He went on to explain that the 15,000 mile oil change intervals are literally destroying engines at a rapid clip. The problem is that the type of driving has a tremendous amount to do with how long oil should be kept in an engine. Apparently, many owners of expensive German makes do NOT drive long distances frequently, resulting in excessive moisture in the oil - moisture that contributes to sludge.

My Corvette's oil life monitor's readout is based upon many driving factors - length of trip, oil temperature, etc. After one year and 5000 miles, my monitor displays approx. 20% oil life remaining. However, GM recommends an oil change at least every year and that is what I do. If you don't have an oil life monitor and you want to exceed Lexus' recommended oil change intervals, have your oil tested at 7000 miles and if okay, again after 9000 or more. By doing this, you are determining just how long YOU can take your oil without changing it.

I spoke to the manager at "All German Auto" a couple of years ago and he told me that they have been servicing many a German vehicle with severe oil sludge damage. He went on to explain that the 15,000 mile oil change intervals are literally destroying engines at a rapid clip. The problem is that the type of driving has a tremendous amount to do with how long oil should be kept in an engine. Apparently, may owners of expensive German makes do NOT drive long distances frequently, resulting in excessive moisture in the oil - moisture that contributes to sludge.

My Corvette's oil life monitor's readout is based upon many driving factors - length of trip, oil temperature, etc. After one year and 5000 miles, my monitor displays approx. 20% oil life remaining. However, GM recommends an oil change at least every year and that is what I do. If you don't have an oil life monitor and you want to exceed Lexus' recommended oil change intervals, have your oil tested at 7000 miles and if okay, again after 9000 or more. By doing this, you are determining just how long YOU can take your oil without changing it.

I agree but there is more to sludge then just water in oil. Also if you wnat to extended your drains I would test at the max oil drain (in the book) and see what happens. If ok (which the oil testing people say ya or na), theywill advise on what you should do. Plus it is a good way to see how the engine is running. I know if saved me some $$$ in the past.

I spoke to the manager at "All German Auto" a couple of years ago and he told me that they have been servicing many a German vehicle with severe oil sludge damage. He went on to explain that the 15,000 mile oil change intervals are literally destroying engines at a rapid clip. The problem is that the type of driving has a tremendous amount to do with how long oil should be kept in an engine. Apparently, may owners of expensive German makes do NOT drive long distances frequently, resulting in excessive moisture in the oil - moisture that contributes to sludge.

yes, lexus europe says oilchange after 15.000 km or after one year, whatever comes first.

what is new to me is, that a car of that price range is not equiped with an automatic maintainance sytem calculating the service intervals out of the car usage like short distance drives, cold starts and so on.

in the last 20 years i hade no car (audi, mercedes) without such a system. i was expecting that modern high tech cars would have such a system, but on the othere hand lexus is also equiping cars with bluetooth hands free systems without voice dial. so maybe i am expecting to much!

[quote name='RX400h' post='190159'

yes, lexus europe says oilchange after 15.000 km or after one year, whatever comes first.

what is new to me is, that a car of that price range is not equiped with an automatic maintainance sytem calculating the service intervals out of the car usage like short distance drives, cold starts and so on.

in the last 20 years i hade no car (audi, mercedes) without such a system. i was expecting that modern high tech cars would have such a system, but on the othere hand lexus is also equiping cars with bluetooth hands free systems without voice dial. so maybe i am expecting to much!

I agree. The best OLM is on some GM cars. Honda just uses starts, miles and something else. I again agree for the price and the options, it should be standard. You can put automatic wipers but not an intelligent OLM sys…..

I totally agree guys- but what i think RX400 is missing onboard computer-It was an option for my 2002 BMW and what it did -it would show Average speed, Range on fuel, few other parameters + range for Oil change- and that of coourse would change depending on you driving behavior, miles starts etc- it was only $500 extra but did such a great job. Still can't believe this car doesn't even offer option- it's so frustrating to me that you wouldn't believe.

I totally agree guys- but what i think RX400 is missing onboard computer-It was an option for my 2002 BMW and what it did -it would show Average speed, Range on fuel, few other parameters + range for Oil change- and that of coourse would change depending on you driving behavior, miles starts etc- it was only $500 extra but did such a great job. Still can't believe this car doesn't even offer option- it's so frustrating to me that you wouldn't believe.

yup, pretty sad. Spend $35K+ and no, you do not get one. Spend $17K on an cheap GM, yup, you get one.BONG!