Transmission Service. Change Stainer Or Not?

914lps

OK folks, your thoughts on this. Getting ready to pull the tranny pan for the first time in 140,000 miles. I will also flush and fill the trany. Should I just clean the "oil strainer" part #35330-50010, or replace it?

OK folks, your thoughts on this. Getting ready to pull the tranny pan for the first time in 140,000 miles. I will also flush and fill the trany. Should I just clean the "oil strainer" part #35330-50010, or replace it?

I would normally say replace it only if it is clogged and would need to be pressure cleaned, but at 140,000 miles your strainer has earned a rest.

The metal mesh filter screen is pretty tough and cleans up by spraying with brake cleaner. The screen only needs to be replaced if it has become accidentally torn due to rough handling. There are magnets in the bottom of the transmission oil pan too. Like the metal filter screen, the magnets do not wear out ...they merely need to be cleaned up using brake cleaner and some paper towels.

I forgot to mention that if your filter screen is attached to the transmission using a gasket, you must buy a new filter gasket from a Toyota or Lexus dealer. I can't remember if the screen on the LS transmission has a gasket or not.

No Gasket, No Flush (they kill LS trannies, personal expirence :chairshot: ) clean the filter even toyota will tell you they are reuseable, fill with two quarts of T4. also make sure you've got the FIPG.

Good Luck! :cheers: