Power Antenna Doesn't Work

dm23

I found my antenna one morning sticking up about a foot, went to turn on the radio and heard the motor turning but no movement. Won't drive up or down. Are there any aftermarket replacements, what's the price from Lexus for new, and what's involved in replacing it myself??? Thanks alot.

Dan

Fairly easy to do. Strip out the trunk panel and you'll see it. Undo the ring on the outside top of the antennae assy with a spanner or carefully then unbolt and check it out. Seen 'em on ebauy or try taprecycling.

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem and got a universal replacement. Then I realized that the Lexus Unit has a variable mast that moves all the way up and the comes back down to the point of best reception. So I decided not to use the univeral unit and removed the original unit, removed the motor from the drive/gearbox. Cleaned it up, reassembled it and it works fine. It seems to have the ability to slip to keep from striping the gears. The combination of dirt and sticking of the mast made it run without raising the antennae. I also extended the mast, cleaned it with some WD40 and then re-lubed it with some dry wax chain lube that I use on my road bike chain. It has worked perfectly ever since.

Good Luck.

:cheers:

Bendits recommendation is what I would have said first before replacing. I had a same problem on a BMW I had owned in the past and did what Bendit did to resolve the problem. I used the WD40 to clean out the old grease and sank the cleaned area with the high quality silicon grease that is moisture and temperature resistant.

Mine wasn't working when I bought the car, the hard plastic part that wines up had broke off... So opened it up today and removed all the plastic that broke off and now I have to get a new antenna mass... I priced it from Lexus and it will cost $70... I'm going to see if Toyota has one cheaper for the '95 Supra, which I believe is the same antenna... I know Honda sells parts cheaper than Acura for the same part, so I'll see if Toyota does the same thing...

Anthony

If you are any good with soldering, you might be able to hardwire it all back together. I haven't been in there though. Might be worth a shot. But 70$ isn't really that bad. I paid 185$ for a freakin driver side master power window control switch for a freakin honda once. Would have looked for a deal but the window was stuck down and I didn't have any other option.