300 Same But Smaller Then The 400

Looking into some mid 90's LS300's... I know a lot about the 400 and see that the 300 is as dependable, but smaller... Can anyone enlighten me more... For the most part are all the 300's of the 90's as good at the 400?

Kewl:

I have 2 1996 ES300 Coaches, both new to me off the lot. One has 350K & the other has 250K. No P/S problems. Nothing to note as far as unusual maintenance. Just the usual stuff like brakes, timing belts/water pumps, tune-ups, tires, etc.

My experience is that mine have been more reliable than the 400's. Not complaining about the 400 though.

The two of them are a very big reason that I am such a devout Lexus fan.

I see a mini-meee 93 ES300 wtih 80k for $4900 (new tires and very good shape). He says it is dark green so I wonder if its Black Jade (my LS color)?

Might offer the guy $4400 one day offer. Any opinions...? The picture will be gone in a few days just think its kewl!

Warm the engine & do a compression / leak-down test.

Go ahead & assume the rear valve cover gaskets are leaking if it hasn't been changed in the last few years & expect it to be making 175hp from the EGR carbon buildup.

As long as the compression is good it's about bullitproof.

Check CV boots. Transmission fluid.

Expect to:

Flush the transmission fluid, (add an aux cooler for $25-50 is the best thing ever for any A/T too if you wanna keep it high miles.)

Change the differential fluid

Flush the brake fluid

Flush the P/S fluid

Plugs

Dizzy cap & rotor

Flush the coolant

Thermostat & two pressure caps

So... Expect to blow $100 & two weekends of doing general maitnenace when you first get it to make yourself feel better.

LS of your generation aren't that big or that powerful really, 240hp? 0-60 times are similar to my ES.

If you like the LS, I'd buy another one before I bought an older ES.

Powerful, eh? An LS is no faster than an ES at any equivilant power level. Higher top speed tho.

Just buy whatever she wants. She'll never be happy with something you pick out for her.

If she doesn't mind the fact that it's a much bigger car, do the LS, if she wants something smaller, do an ES.

Hey ladies and gents.. Hope I did not offend any of you with the LS vs ES comments.. I am an LS for ever fan, but I would love to get an ES... When you look at them the ES does look like a mini mee for the LS. Its kewl.. I am not surprised by the speed since the ES is smaller. For sure I am curious to compare ride and comfort of the ES and LS.

Well in that generation there's going to be a bigger difference in the ride and handling between the LS and ES, since the ES was designed to be sportier. Only way to know is to go drive one.

But I agree with Toys, get her whatever she wants. Does she specifically want a Lexus?

It's a different car, for a different market. You're not offending anyone here.

Werd with SW. Have her drive both.

The best thing to do is let her pick & you just make sure it's not going to break. *That's* the role most women want you to fill!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: