Cigarette Lighter Prob

Hello,

a strange thing happened, i was pumping air into my tires using ont of the pumps that use the cigarette lighter as power source, it did it fine on one tire, when i did the secong tire, iwas was running and it all of a sudden it stopped, then i checked the fuses and i checked the one that says 15A radio/cig lighter, so by my deduction it is the fuse for the radion AND the cigarrete lighter, the problem the radio and the fuse are OK. is there another fuse hidden somewhere?

thanks for the help

chargerucd

Forgot to add it is a 1996 es300

thanks

Hello,

a strange thing happened, i was pumping air into my tires using ont of the pumps that use the cigarette lighter as power source, it did it fine on one tire, when i did the secong tire, iwas was running and it all of a sudden it stopped, then i checked the fuses and i checked the one that says 15A radio/cig lighter, so by my deduction it is the fuse for the radion AND the cigarrete lighter, the problem the radio and the fuse are OK. is there another fuse hidden somewhere?

thanks for the help

chargerucd

Melted the wiring to the cig lighter.

Common problem on any Lexus, or Toyota that has a real cigarette lighter installed instead of just a 12v power port ('cause smoking is bad for you - so few late model cars have them). It's designed to warm the lighter only. Cell-phone. OK. Much more than that & you can kiss it goodbye. Laptops, air pumps. A 120v inverter of any kind. All of that stuff will kill them. If not instantly, keep using it a few times. ;)

Half the time the wiring melts before the fuse will. Amazing, considering that fuses are designed to fail.

Hello,

Is there a replacement wiring i can install to fix the problem?

Thanks for the help.

ChargeruCD

Melted the wiring to the cig lighter.

Common problem on any Lexus, or Toyota that has a real cigarette lighter installed instead of just a 12v power port ('cause smoking is bad for you - so few late model cars have them). It's designed to warm the lighter only. Cell-phone. OK. Much more than that & you can kiss it goodbye. Laptops, air pumps. A 120v inverter of any kind. All of that stuff will kill them. If not instantly, keep using it a few times. ;)

Half the time the wiring melts before the fuse will. Amazing, considering that fuses are designed to fail.

Nope. If it's the wiring, rip the old wiring out & replace it with a heavier gauge wire. That's not difficult by and means, but I dare you to get the cig lighter out without cussing up a storm. I can't do it.

It can also be the cig lighter itself too. But my money is always on nthe wiring.

I have another problem when I use the cig lighter for pumping air...when I pull the the airpump connector out of the cig lighter socket...the whole dam socket pops out....I hate that cig lighter socket! I now connect my air pump directly to the battery.

Hello,

I haven't teried to replace the wiring yet, nut if someone removes the base for the cig lighter, please let us know the trick so we can all remove the lighter and replace wiring.

thanks a lot for the help.

Amazing my LS has this issue.. THIS STINKS!

Okay well thats life I will replace wiring..

I just got a '92 es300 and my cig lighter doesn't work either... it's not the fuse... i'm going to test the wires today, maybe wire another one somewhere else, under the glovebox or in the glovebox, for my radar detector

any other suggestions

edit:

all the wires are fine... I don't know what to do now