Just Thought Of Something That Is Really Scary

the IS comes with smart key entry right? what if you are in the middle of nowhere and the battery on the smartkey goes dead? How do you start the car? Does the car start without the smartkey? I guess I haven't tried that out yet. anyway, that thought just scared me

the IS comes with smart key entry right? what if you are in the middle of nowhere and the battery on the smartkey goes dead? How do you start the car? Does the car start without the smartkey? I guess I haven't tried that out yet. anyway, that thought just scared me

Read the manual and you wont be scared, there is a way to get around it.

I believe it's been discussed here, but the smart key will still work with a dead battery. You just have to hold it close to the start button. Nothing to fear. :lol:

It also comes with a metal key that you can use to unlock the door.

BTW: Most of the owners manual is posted in PDF files here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=25999

I believe it's been discussed here, but the smart key will still work with a dead battery. You just have to hold it close to the start button. Nothing to fear. :lol:

As far as I know, the car will tell you the smart key battery is low and it will remind you to replace with a new one on the LCD display on the instrutment cluster. Other way to start the car with low battery key is to get the key close to hte start switch as much as possible since the switch itself is detecting the signal too. I don't think there is a way to by-pass the smart key even with a scanner... I guess.

• 8 months later...

As far as I know, the car will tell you the smart key battery is low and it will remind you to replace with a new one on the LCD display on the instrutment cluster. Other way to start the car with low battery key is to get the key close to hte start switch as much as possible since the switch itself is detecting the signal too. I don't think there is a way to by-pass the smart key even with a scanner... I guess.

When you have the battery go dead in the fob you open the door with the metal key that's in the fob per owners manual and that allows you to start the engine normally.. That what I was told anyway by Lexus service..

George