Key Housing Cover

rx300lg

Can anyone tell me where I can get the top cover for the key housing to an RX300? This is the cover that you unscrew to replace the battery for the remote. The housing cracked right around the screw hole so that you can no longer screw the housing back in place. Went to the dealership, first he asked what car it was for, then he said there was not one available for the RX300 model year "2000". Any help locating a replacement cover would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I just bought a 2002 RX300 and the spare key has the exact same problem as what you describe. I looked on Ebay and found many blank keys, and shells. They should work fine. I am considering going that route ~$28 plus $7 shipping.

Regards,

Darrell

The link to Master Key Shell provided earlier goes to Sewell Lexus in Dallas. I have actually acquired one of their replacement keys in the past and had it cut for my Lexus. This approach is far better than getting a replacement key from other Lexus dealers, partly because Sewell is charging a fair price, and because their after-market key blanks appear to be better built than the original Lexus keys that keep cracking apart. I might say also that the folks in Sewell's parts department have been a pleasure to work with, as compared to the greedy SOBs at some OTHER dealerships where greed prevails.

Regarding replacing just the cover of the key, my recollection was that replacing just the cover didn't seem feasible in my case, but I could be wrong. I know that the metal key itself wouldn't transfer to another case -- it was integral to the old case. But your situation may be different than what I encountered.

You might consider calling Sewell and asking about their blanks, and about replacing just the cracked half of your key. The eBay sellers may have some input as well about whether that will work. Just some ideas.

Good luck.