Rx 350 Vs Rx 400h

I can't be so sure, the word is the RX350 gets a third seat this fall.

Can they do that with the current chassis?

And they should revise the "engine" soon to make use of the DFI engine.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, you could do a flip seat.

The RX350's already out and we already know for a fact its the same car.

As for the engine, if they were going to use the DFI engine they would have used it now. They aren't planning on using it in the RX for a while.

Sure, you could do a flip seat.

The RX350's already out and we already know for a fact its the same car.

As for the engine, if they were going to use the DFI engine they would have used it now. They aren't planning on using it in the RX for a while.

I don't think we can be so sure about the engine issue. The new AWD GS300 uses the old V6 while the regular GS, GS350, gets the DFI engine. At the moment the GS has three engine possibilities, the GS300, GS350, GS430, and the GS450h.

I would bet that within a year that will be narrowed to GS350 with an AWD option, the GS430, and the GS450h. And shortly after that I'm betting the public will weed out the GS430. Why would anyone pass up the GS450h for the GS430?

And were they to do an LS450h I would probably be hounding them for a quick delivery.

Can you imagine, dream about, an RX with the GS450h hydrid system and GS300 AWD combination?

Nah, that'll probably be a GX450h.

Yeah but they didn't revamp the 3.0 in the GS300 like they did the 3.5 in the RX350. The GS300 is just a stopgap until they could get the GS350 ready to launch.

So, now the 3.0L V6, the bored 3.5L V6, and the 3.5L V6 w/DFI are all in production simultaneously...

Will the RX400h and the AWD GS get the DFI engine in the fall, do you suppose?

I'm supposed to sign papers for a 2006 RX 400h this Friday, $500 over invoice or about $46,0xx for everything except Rear seat entertainment system (I plan to install an after market dual LCD headrest system). My Northern Cali dealer said he couldn't match Longo Lexus which is $500 cheaper (Turns out Longo lexus sells the most lexus cars in the US. I'm willing to overlook that $500 by not having to get on a plane to So. Cal and driving 500 miles on the return trip, (I also believe I qualify for the 2006 Federal Tax credit of $2200 on the 400h which is supposed to dimminish in June after Toyota sells 50,000 Hybrid's )

Another data point to consider in the RX 350 vs RX400h is the iPod connectivity with The vaistech SoundLinq SLI . On the 400h the iPod info is displayed on the radio LCD vs on the RX 350 the ipod info is displayed on the nav screen.

well, that has to do with the new generation of nav. i guess it would be more convenient for the eye to just look to the right instead of looking down at the radio screen. Either way, its just how you get used to things. Are u buying the car in serramonte or marin, cause serramonte is a much better place, salesman/serive wise. When you go in for the first service, ask for GARY NAKASU. I am not joking, he is the pinnacle of customer service, you will save hundreds of dollars with him.

I have been driving my 400h for about two weeks and briefly saw a RX 350 on the lot before I signed. My 400h arrived at the dealership with RX350's so I was a little miffed at the time that when I was shelling out my cash that the car I was buying was at least in some aspects technically inferiour to the RX350 its sister car. That said after two weeks I don't care anymore. The 400h is a fine car. I like driving it. It has its pro's and con's but I think the pro's outweight the con's. I would still buy it over the 350 just because I wanted a hybrid. I also think however that if you buy a 350 you will also be happy. I don't see anyone having buyers regret after a couple of months of happy driving. Cars especially these days are always improving from model year to model year. The 2007h will have something that my car doesn't but so will the 2008 RX350 (I think the RX350 is already called a 2007). Negotiate your best deal buy the car and drive it. If you continue to wait for the "best" features or second guess you will be waiting forever.

I have been driving my 400h for about two weeks and briefly saw a RX 350 on the lot before I signed. My 400h arrived at the dealership with RX350's so I was a little miffed at the time that when I was shelling out my cash that the car I was buying was at least in some aspects technically inferiour to the RX350 its sister car. That said after two weeks I don't care anymore. The 400h is a fine car. I like driving it. It has its pro's and con's but I think the pro's outweight the con's. I would still buy it over the 350 just because I wanted a hybrid. I also think however that if you buy a 350 you will also be happy. I don't see anyone having buyers regret after a couple of months of happy driving. Cars especially these days are always improving from model year to model year. The 2007h will have something that my car doesn't but so will the 2008 RX350 (I think the RX350 is already called a 2007). Negotiate your best deal buy the car and drive it. If you continue to wait for the "best" features or second guess you will be waiting forever.

I think Im going to wait til fall, the 2007 Model, and maybe get the 3.5L DFI engine.

I am now the owner of a 400h. The one annoying thing I'm noticing is the "surging" effect at 65 MPH on the hwy (doesn't seem to happen when the vehicle is set to cruise control), and doesn't happen at less than 65 Mph. Another 400h owner on this board mentioned the same thing.

As someone who stares into a high res LCD monitor on a daily basis . I agree with reviewers who complain about that the graphics quality of the NAV display, it really is only 256 colors with blocky icons circa Windows 3.1 days.

It's still to early to give a definitive review, what's apparent so far is if you want to get the *maximum* out this vehicle, you will need to re-think your whole driving style.

I am now the owner of a 400h. The one annoying thing I'm noticing is the "surging" effect at 65 MPH on the hwy (doesn't seem to happen when the vehicle is set to cruise control), and doesn't happen at less than 65 Mph. Another 400h owner on this board mentioned the same thing.

As someone who stares into a high res LCD monitor on a daily basis . I agree with reviewers who complain about that the graphics quality of the NAV display, it really is only 256 colors with blocky icons circa Windows 3.1 days.

It's still to early to give a definitive review, what's apparent so far is if you want to get the *maximum* out this vehicle, you will need to re-think your whole driving style.

"...stares into a high res LCD display...."

I almost NEVER have the map display on, even when using the Nav system. The very last thing I need is to be indecisive at an intersection and inadvertently look over at the display for help. An accident waiting to happen, that.

I find voice guidance only to be perfectly adequate once the nav is activated.

Additionally it would help tremendously if the nav screen reverted to the old white on green large font display of the non-nav system at all time other than displaying the map. A LOT of information displaying on ONE screen on the non-nav system avoiding the distraction of button pushing to bring up the OAT.

I'm very tempted to avoid the built-in nav in my next purchase simply to get the other display and then use my portable touch screen garmin.

I tend to glance at the top right of the nav screen to see the miles/feet to my next turn off or turn i find that very helpful. If you are listening to music or the radio you might miss a verbal instruction. I know the gamin type portable navs can be a great choice, and of course used in multiple vehicles, i just want to point out that many people will be looking for navs in used cars, and it will hurt the resale value of a vehicle without built in nav.

I tend to glance at the top right of the nav screen to see the miles/feet to my next turn off or turn i find that very helpful. If you are listening to music or the radio you might miss a verbal instruction. I know the gamin type portable navs can be a great choice, and of course used in multiple vehicles, i just want to point out that many people will be looking for navs in used cars, and it will hurt the resale value of a vehicle without built in nav.

Sorry, I have just NEVER seen the sense in considering resale value when purchasing a new vehicle. Initially that was because they normally went directly to the wrecking yards after I put ten years and 200,000 plus miles on them. Nowadays it's simply a "me first" attitude and to hell with the next buyer.

I don't know of any 400h owner who would recommend getting one of the non-hybrid models over the hybrid model (note that most or all of the criticisms come from owners of the 300 or 330...perhaps some envy at play?). I'm not going to rehash all of the advantages that are noted in this string and throughout this web site, but simply, if you want the top of the line, get the 400h. If you want something more "economical" and are going to obsess about whether the extra (X) amount you paid translates dollar for dollar into gas savings and/or units of extra HP, whatever, then one of the non-hybrid options might be better for you.

well actually,i dont see why anyone would buy the 400h now that since the horsepower is even better on the rx350. There is only one reason i can think of, and that is the emissions. Of course, to some people it may seem "cool" to have the hybrid model, but its no longer the quote unquote top of the line model anymore.

well actually,i dont see why anyone would buy the 400h now that since the horsepower is even better on the rx350. There is only one reason i can think of, and that is the emissions. Of course, to some people it may seem "cool" to have the hybrid model, but its no longer the quote unquote top of the line model anymore.

"...HP is even better on the RX350...."

???

The RX350 is 270 HP and the RX400h is 268 HP....

But then there's the "rest of the story".

Torque.

Because the vehicle driving experience is superior and the vehicle is quieter.

According to articles, it says the rx350 has had more insulation put in, making it more quiet. Until you drive the car, you cant say that its more noisy. unless you did drive the car, disregard this. lol

"...HP is even better on the RX350...."

???

The RX350 is 270 HP and the RX400h is 268 HP....

But then there's the "rest of the story".

Torque.

Yep, ...650 lbs-ft of torque because of the two electric motors + the ICE - something the RX350 can only dream of.

Because the vehicle driving experience is superior and the vehicle is quieter.

According to articles, it says the rx350 has had more insulation put in, making it more quiet. Until you drive the car, you cant say that its more noisy. unless you did drive the car, disregard this. lol

Have you driven an RX400h?

Articles tell you nothing. Have you driven the vehicle?

I have not driven an RX350, but I have driven both the RX330 and the RX400h and the 400h is undeniably the more refined and interesting vehicle. This fellow that started this thread however has driven both:

am trying to decide between the new 2007 RX 350 and the 2006 RX 400h. I test drove both last week , although unfortunately not on the same day. My observation is that the 400h is slightly more quiet on the HWY at 65 MPH than the new RX 350

What I'm telling you is that what makes a difference in real life isn't that .1 second, its the extra thrust provided by the torque of the electric motors and the fact that the CVT provides a shift free acceleration experience. Its more refined and powerful feeling than ANY Lexus powertrain I have ever experienced, including the 300hp V8 platforms of the LS430 and the GS430. With the dumbfounded transmission that the RX330 has its like stepping into nirvana when you compare the difference.

If you haven't driven the vehicle then you really can't offer an opinion on the subject.

this thread needs to go away...lol. He pobably already made his decision. great for the people who have the shift free acceleration experience. but other than that, its not that big of a difference between the two cars. so who the **** cares what car he buys, lol

Here is some more info for those contemplating the same decision. I did eventually drive a 2007 RX 350, 2006 RX400h and both a 2006 Nissan Murano SL/SE all back to back the day before I bought the 400h . The Nissan Murano (Also has a CVT transmission) was the other vehicle I was seriously considering.

The Nissan has slightly more Cargo Room, and since it is 1 inch wider, sits 3 "American sized butts" slightly more comfortable in the rear. In terms of road noise I think the Murano is as quiet as the 400h if not slightly quieter on the HWY (Yes) (This was also backed by my buddies who went along for the back to back rides -- OK it ended up being a 2 hour lunch ;-). The 400h on the HWY is slightly more quiet than the RX 350.

Regarding Power delivery, the 400h has a noticable edge both in moving off the line as well as passing at 65 MPH on the freeway (Did I mention my other vehicle is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle?), The 400h feels noticably stronger than the RX 350 despite it's 270 Hp rating. The Murano doesn't compare with it's 245 HP/246 ft-lbs.

this thread needs to go away...lol. He pobably already made his decision. great for the people who have the shift free acceleration experience. but other than that, its not that big of a difference between the two cars. so who the **** cares what car he buys, lol

You didn't answer my question, so I'll assume the answer is no.

So until you drive the vehicle, you shouldn't comment on the topic.