Trans. Gasket

Hello,

I just noticed some oil by trans. pan. Looks to me that Gasket is leaking.

Should try to tight the bolts?

Thanks,

No, sounds like it needs to be replaced. Kill 3 birds with 1 stone & do a tranny 'drain & fill' (total between 3 - 4 qts of Toyota type IV fluid....double check your owners manual for the correct type of tranny fluid you need) & at the same time have the tranny pan gasket replaced along with the filter mesh screen cleaned......you should be good as new. B)

:cheers:

Hello,

I just noticed some oil by trans. pan. Looks to me that Gasket is leaking.

Should try to tight the bolts?

Thanks,

Sooner or later you will have to replace the gasket, I prefer sooner. Tightening may make it worse or you might get by for a little while longer.

Roll the dice.

When I replaced my transmission pan gasket a few months ago, I went to a toyota dealer who had two gaskets for the same job. I had to buy both, put the right size one on, and return the other one a week later. They are shaped differently. So if you want to save some time, make a sketch of the pan shape before going in. If you do remove the pan and clean it, let us know how much "sludge" there is in the pan. I'm just curious because I had a lot when I did it.

I am going to see mechanic this evening. At 175,000 he did change filter and oil.

may be some bolts get loose. now car has 184,700. As you guys advise i will request to change

everything again and use Ultra Black RTV

Thanks for everyone's input.

I am going to see mechanic this evening. At 175,000 he did change filter and oil.

may be some bolts get loose. now car has 184,700. As you guys advise i will request to change

everything again and use Ultra Black RTV

Thanks for everyone's input.

I would ty to tighen the bolts about 1/8 turn. But I do agree that RTV is better then cork; but, I know my 98 trans gasket (OEM) is rubber. Plus the seal is only replaced every 5 to 6 years for me.

Update:

Bolts were loose. He tighten. He mention to wait for next trans. drain for change every thing

@205,000.

I will drain and refill through plug @ 190,000 because 175,000 he did change every thing.

Thanks,