Oil Pan Leaking, Dealer Charges Insane Price

flanker271

My oil pan is leaking and my Toyota dealer wanted $1,150 to replace it :whistles: . No, I'm not exaggerating, this is exactly what the service representitative told me. Is this price reasonable or is it insane? Is the oil pan a seperate piece that is bolted to the bottom of the crankcase or does the whole crankcase have to be removed?

Also, the same dealer wanted $785 to replace all of the motor mounts. Is this price also reasonable or are they trying to rip me off again?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=21666&hl=

You're getting SCREWED!!!! One of the worst price quotes I've ever heard of. Check out this thread.

Buy the motor mounts from the online vendors and take them to an indi shop. $250 out the door, easily.

It seems you need to find a new mechanic and bag to hell out of the theives that call themselves Toyota dealers. All three motor mounts can be bought for about US $260 which means around $500 in labour!!! The official book lists that each mount should be charged at 1 hour per side and .6 for the back. Is $200 an hour correct for the US? Not sure about the oil pan but this also sounds way over the top.

My oil pan is leaking and my Toyota dealer wanted $1,150 to replace it :whistles: . No, I'm not exaggerating, this is exactly what the service representitative told me. Is this price reasonable or is it insane? Is the oil pan a seperate piece that is bolted to the bottom of the crankcase or does the whole crankcase have to be removed?

Also, the same dealer wanted $785 to replace all of the motor mounts. Is this price also reasonable or are they trying to rip me off again?

The delaer is asking their price which sounds normal. You did not state if your pan is damaged or its just the gasket leaking. I'd suggest have your car checked out by a couple of regular shops of good reputation and it will not cost anything. In case of leaking gasket, your trusted mechanic can do it for around 100 bucks plus gasket which he can get from his source easily. In case of damaged pan, sometimes its repairable and your mechanic can give you best advice as what to do with it, he might be able to get one from a junkyard. It sure will save you huge bucks. He can give you an estimate on motor mounts as well.

The cost depends on which oil pan is leaking. If it's the upper, it's going to cost you quite a bit in labor. If it's lower, the level of difficulty is on par with removing transmision pan (hint: a bit more difficult than changing oil and filter). Unless your dealer is a super stealer, that price is probably the upper pan. :cries: