New Scratched 2006 Black Gs 430 Lexus

Ok guys...I have a big problem...I bought a new GS in November and the day I went to pick it up it they were going to detail it for me..so when i got home it had a few scratches on it (some a little heavy)..so i sent it back to get it fixed...i just picked it up for the 3rd time today and you can still see places on the car where they used a buffer and some places dug in pretty hard...the whole car has swirls all over it...how many times can that be done until it is runned...or is it already?????

It's a brand new car, I'd drop it off and tell them to call me when my new, new car is in. Black is known to be difficult to work and almost impossible to remove buffer swirls from without a lot of effort and skill. There is no excuse for this. If the dealership you bought it from cared for their reputation, they would have never attempted to deliver this car without scratches on it. A. they should have been more careful not to scratch it in the first place and B. if it happened, they should have taken care of it properly before you ever saw it.

Of course, it's way past the delivery date now so the dealer will very likely not want to help you.

It's not impossible to fix, if they haven't gone through the clear coat. The number of attempts varies greatly with the compound and pressure used, and the skill of the detailer.

I'd go ballistic on them. make them take it back. call Lex corp and a lawyer if you have to. no way I'd be going in to a brand new black GS430 with scratches and swirled paint. sorry you had to learn hard way, but NEVER,EVER, EVER let the dealer wash or detail your car, especially if it's black.

good luck.

This is why you should NEVER let the dealer detail the car, or even wash it.

Give up on them, take the car to a competent professional detailer and have it done. Then, if anything, try and get re-embursed for the bill.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I am chiming in on this a little late but I was searching and had to reply. Did they fix the issue gettosled? Unfortunatley most dealerships don't remove the rail dust caused during shipping from new automobiles, thus when they deliver they car and detail it, you are going to have swirls like crazy. They tiny particles of steel from the rails melt through the plastic protective coating and embed in the clear coat. There is a chemical process to remove rail dust but most dealers don't use it.

I am also curious if you already filled out your customer satisfaction survey from Lexus. The results of this survey help determine vehicle allotments to dealers. The more 100% satisfied surveys, the more cars a dealer will be allotted. This can give the customer the upper hand when encountering issues like yours. I hope it worked out for you. I am interested in the outcome.

The rail dust isn't what causes the swirls, its poor washing and detailing practice using dirty and innapropriate towels and pads.

All you need to do to remove the rail dust is use clay.