2001 - In Cabin Filter

hatrost

I agree wash it carefully and let it dry, I sprayed simple green on it to loosen the dirt. Worked great, last a long time. I have washed mine three times and it still works great.

It is in the glove box behind a little black panel that is removeable without any tools, if you use a flashlight you can see the cover for the filter. It snaps out.

If I dont have simple green, how would you recommend washing it? Thanks!

Water will do just fine...maybe even a little bit of soap. The point is just to removie the dust from the filter tissues, so just running it (opposite way of the air coming in) in hot water and letting it dry for a few hours will be good enough. After a few washes, it would be best to buy a new one, about 30 dollars at the lexus dealership. :D

Just use any household cleaner, even a little lysol in water.

These units are charcoal impregnated. I wonder how they will hold up when you wash them?

Gary

I haven't noticed any problem with washing mine. I start with the vacuum cleaner and crevice tool to carefully suck the dirt out of the folds, then wash it by letting plain water run backward through the filter, and let it dry. You wouldn't have to do the wash.

Incidentally, there could be an excessive amount of trash (leaves, seeds, etc.) sitting on top of the filter. If so, when you slide the filter out, some of the trash will fall into the fan, which is directly below the filter. It's a good idea to use a flashlight to take a look in there before pulling out the filter. If it looks like there's quite a bit of accumulated junk, use a vacuum and crevice tool to pull out the excess before removing the filter.