First Tune Up?

How often should tune-ups be done on the SCs?

I just bought mine a few weeks ago and it has right about 100k miles.

I'm taking it into the shop for a timing belt change tomorrow (thanks to all who replied to that thread) and I want to know if maybe I should do a tune-up as well.

I'm very capable of doing it myself, but since it looks like my mechanic is a pretty fair guy and the stuff is gonna be apart anyways, what the heck.

I have no idea if a tune-up has ever been done before, but from the looks of the wires and cap, I'd have to say no.

Lemme know what you guys think.

Once again, I am asking because I distrust the Maintenance Schedules since some bad experiences.

:cheers:

I just did a tuneup on my 92 Sc400, and the wires were the original ones. I dont think it ran any better, but im sure it needed it. The wires are dated, (which I find amazingly cool) so if they are dated the year if your car, your car has "probably" never had a tuneup. Id say every 50,000, but im just pulling that number out of thin air.

Well I verified the date on the wires. 1996.

The car's got over 100,000 on it and still running smooth with no tune-up.

I am truly amazed.

From what understand, in order to get at the plugs, I'll need to remove the intake manifold?

That sounds and looks like a major pain. I'd like to do it myself but I just don't have the time.

My mechanic has earned my trust and seems to know what he's doing.

He told me to just drive the car until I start to hear either misfires, or any strange sounds from the engine.

He also said not to rev it too high until a tune-up is done.

I think this is the way I will go for a little while (even though I know my gas-mileage is suffering).

What is the labor cost of a tuneup on a SC300?

I found it was cheaper to do it myself. After changing all the usual bits and pieces you remove the EFI fuse and replace it a few min's later. This will reset factory ECU to original specs adn computer will start relearning again. Good way of settings the computer to learn with all the new bits and pieces thrown in.