Suggestions For Touch-up Paint For 2001 Rx300

rockhead

Hi All,

Just received a nice two-inch scratch from either a shopping cart or something else on the driver rear side bumper of my 2001 RX300 Silversport - Silver in color. The scratch itself is dark black - looks like it scraped right through the paint. I tried a little rubbing compound, but it didn't work.

What are the best suggestions for touch-up paint for a 2001 RX? Getting it from the Lexus dealer? Buying it online?

Who has the best quality paint and how easy is it to apply? I've only had the vehicle a few months, so I'd like it to be virtually undectable.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

If you'd really like it to disappear take it to a good body shop. The scratch must be prepped and then filled with multiple layers of touch up paint. Then lightly sanded with 1500, 2000 and 2500 grit sand paper. Finally, it is buffed and polished. The autobody guys do this all the time, have all the stuff and can do it faster and better than most people.

If you still want to do it yourself another source for touch up paint is your local autobody paint supply store. They can mix up a batch based on your paint code or you can take off your gas door and they can match it to that.

Yeah you're not likely to make that look right on silver yourself, and it probably wont look any better than 90% after a bodyshop does it because silver is so hard to match, I'd definately let a pro do it.

With my old rx300, i had ruined some paint on my trunk door by accidentally closing the garage door while it was open...it was a 1 incher but maybe a centimeter wide. Anyways, i had some touch up paint tha twas given to me as a sample-ish from a lexus bodyshop. They gave it to me because i had some work done prior to this. Anyways, i tried to apply it and it just came out all uneven. I guess the purpose of it is so that you cant see the actual part without the paint. So yes, i would go to a body shop.