I Searched And I Know You Heard This One Before; Idle Problem

I have a 2000 GS400 with about 75K on it. I noticed about 5 mos. ago my idle seemed real low whether it was in neutral or drive at a stop. So I reverted for some advise on this forum. I was told that I could raise the idle by adjusting the screw on the cable for the throttle pulley (please excuse the incorrect terminology, I don't know these particular engine components). So, anyway I adjusted this screw so that the throttle cable is more taught, it did in fact bring my idle up. However, ever since then my car has been running more rough than ever and it is even worse now. Guess what, my idle is back to being low again (350 - 400 rpm in drive at a stop).

I read other posts that sound similar to what I am experiencing; slowing to a traffic light and the car feels stallish, accelerating normally from a traffic light and it feels stallish as well. By the way I took some advise from this forum again and had the throttle body service at my local lexus dealership about 2 months ago; so I covered that already. It's not bad gas, I ALWAYS use 93 or higher and I also tried a fuel system cleaner; Techron. Still having a problem. I have not changed my spark plugs yet (planning on buying DENSO Iridiums).

Sorry so lengthy, just wanted to paint a clear pic of what is going on and what I have covered already. Thanks for your advise and assistance. :)

Nick

I have a 2000 GS400 with about 75K on it. I noticed about 5 mos. ago my idle seemed real low whether it was in neutral or drive at a stop. So I reverted for some advise on this forum. I was told that I could raise the idle by adjusting the screw on the cable for the throttle pulley (please excuse the incorrect terminology, I don't know these particular engine components). So, anyway I adjusted this screw so that the throttle cable is more taught, it did in fact bring my idle up. However, ever since then my car has been running more rough than ever and it is even worse now. Guess what, my idle is back to being low again (350 - 400 rpm in drive at a stop).

I read other posts that sound similar to what I am experiencing; slowing to a traffic light and the car feels stallish, accelerating normally from a traffic light and it feels stallish as well. By the way I took some advise from this forum again and had the throttle body service at my local lexus dealership about 2 months ago; so I covered that already. It's not bad gas, I ALWAYS use 93 or higher and I also tried a fuel system cleaner; Techron. Still having a problem. I have not changed my spark plugs yet (planning on buying DENSO Iridiums).

Sorry so lengthy, just wanted to paint a clear pic of what is going on and what I have covered already. Thanks for your advise and assistance. :)

Nick

#1 the throttle cable should not be tight as to increase the idle, Put it back to factory position. Clean your throttle body/intake/change air filter.

hi

spark plugs if iridium should be changed at 90000 you did good doing a throttle body service,i would change the FUEL Filter if you have not done so yet because clogged filter could block gas from coming into engine

and yea put the idle cable adjustment back to original position

thanks

Thanks for the help, I'll try that but...how do I know what the factory position was??? Any other things I should check for? Is there any type of sensor I should have the dealer look at? I have to bring it in anyway to change the timing belt next week.

Thanks,

Nick

hi

spark plugs if iridium should be changed at 90000 you did good doing a throttle body service,i would change the FUEL Filter if you have not done so yet because clogged filter could block gas from coming into engine

and yea put the idle cable adjustment back to original position

thanks

Hey Nick

i wouldnt take it to the dealer just take it to a toyota authorized service where they only do toyota and lexus cars and it could also be your tps sensor<throttle positioning sensor> dealer is going to charge you $80 to diagnose the problem anyways,with private shops <or MIDAS> does this sometimes if you talk with them they include the diagnosing problem in the work that is going to be performed,i manage a midas that is how i know

thanks

Ken