How To Get The Max Insurance Money From A Totalled Car

lsrxlex

Hi all,

Yesterday, my 1990 LS400 (with 229k miles) was rear ended at a stop sign and then therefore we hit the car in the front of us. The very strong impact made the rear left quarter panel deformed real bad. Also, the black plastic and metal parts inside rear bumper fell out to the ground; and the front bumper was broken and exposed its inside foam core.

Fortunately, nobody got hurt.

I think the insurance might total the car.

It's still driveable, and I still have it at home, waiting for instructions from the insurance to bring it to a designated auto body shop.

Is there anything I can do to get the maximun money from the insurance?

I have spent a lot of money in keeping my car in fairly good shape like: new tires ( 3 months old ), new timing belt/water pump/pulleys/oil seals (in 7/05), valve clearance adjustment (11/05), new rotors (4), front calipers (reman) and new master cylinder, etc.... And this would be a loss for me.

Thanks for your inputs.

Nearly the same thing happened to me with an older Cadillac that I had recently put quite a bit of time and money into to get it in very good condition. I took all the receipts for everything that I had done to the car and the insurance company did reimburse me for quite a bit although not 100%. Without being able to document what I had done to the car, the payout would have been a lot less.

Hi all,

Yesterday, my 1990 LS400 (with 229k miles) was rear ended at a stop sign and then therefore we hit the car in the front of us. The very strong impact made the rear left quarter panel deformed real bad. Also, the black plastic and metal parts inside rear bumper fell out to the ground; and the front bumper was broken and exposed its inside foam core.

Fortunately, nobody got hurt.

I think the insurance might total the car.

It's still driveable, and I still have it at home, waiting for instructions from the insurance to bring it to a designated auto body shop.

Is there anything I can do to get the maximun money from the insurance?

I have spent a lot of money in keeping my car in fairly good shape like: new tires ( 3 months old ), new timing belt/water pump/pulleys/oil seals (in 7/05), valve clearance adjustment (11/05), new rotors (4), front calipers (reman) and new master cylinder, etc.... And this would be a loss for me.

Thanks for your inputs.

As said take all of your receipts to the adjuster. If the offer that the adjuster has made sounds low, talk him up. Tell him that you know that your car has a lot of miles on it but you have taken very good care of your car and you do not know how he is determining that price. Make him show you how he is coming up with the price that he is. The adjuster is trying to settle the claim for as little as possible...you may also want to see if it would be worth while to buy the car back if it is totaled...if you want it. He will more than likely compensate you for any new parts but minus depreciation. Show all of your service records that you have. Also if you had any hospital bills or missed any work they will also compensate you for that. You did not mention if they had put you in a rental car. If they have not make sure to get one ASAP, as they should pay for that too.

Glad no one was injured...good luck

I used to own a 94 LS4 which was rear-ended and declared total-loss by insurance 2 years ago. what I got was about the KBB's published 'retail' value in "excellent" condition + local sales tax. honestly, I think that was very fair despite I also spent quite a bit money to repair/maintain the vehicle before the accident. keep in mind that, whatever you have done to the card can only make it in "excellent" condition according to KBB, therefore the reinbursement shouldn't be greater than that!

of course, it's entirely proper to ask for compensation if any personal porperties was damaged in the accident, and/or you suffered from injuries.

As like everyone else said show them your receipts. Also never except there first off unless its a fair number. They don't really low ball you persay but they will offer you about $500 less then what they really will pay. I also recommend you searching on cars.com, autotrader.com, etc.. and print out some Lexus's close to yours in year and mileage. Those numbers should give you a real replacement value of a car like yours. Chances are any other Lexus's with over 200,000 miles on them where taking care of very well also.