Anyone Catch The State Of The Union?

ArmyofOne

I dont have cable here, and CNN's website hasnt been very forthcoming. so can someone break down the State of the Union Address for me? I woudl like to start a discussion on it, but first i have to know what it was about.

and lets try to keep this civil people. I dont care who you voted for, or why, i just want to have a civilized discussion.

ACK! no i didnt, lol thanks for the link, dont know where my mind has been lately.

so what do you guys think of this? is this the right direction for our country to head, with so much of our economy dependant on oil?

I thought the State of the Union was a pretty good speech (if a tad 'general' overall......I dould tell he didn't want to ruffle too many feathers because of the upcoming elections) & the President is correct but it will take a very long time.

A little suprised (and a bit disappointed) he did not talk more (and earlier in the speech) about the poor folks in the Hurricane effected areas. :huh: :(

:cheers:

I thought it was pretty much a recap of the headlines on the news...and stay the course type stuff. One thing I do like about this president is that he will not allow red-tape to get in his way...which just might come back to bite him in the butt. I too was a little dissapointed in the lack of focus on New Orleans. I think he missed a golden opportunity to clean up the reputation and such. I'm sure he probably wanted to, but was probably advised to avoid it as the "sorry for poor choice of words here" mud is still flying between state and federal responsibilities of blame.

On the war....I do agree with him on having to stay the course and not leave too soon. I'm affraid to say it, but it looks like with Iran acting up, and the fact that the world has never in a better position to finally call them out and make them prove those threats over the past several decades, it's my opinion that bullets will fly with Iran soon. However, I seriously doubt we'll be going at this one as the majority armed force, like with Iraq. I mean look at a map....Iran is surrounded on all borders by armed forces for whom they have threated for decades....we're now standing on their property line with no way to escape. And, the rest of the world, especially the EU nations are all in tune with fighting Iran over their nuclear ambitions. I mean when Germany and France say "don't do it, or it's war", then well, they better listen. Can you imagine a small country like Iran trying to fight a war against USA, Germany, France, Britian, Italy, Isreal, and about a dozen other countries? Especially when the war machines are already lined up with their muzzels all pointing into their country, sitting on all the boarders? They'd be finished in no time! Which, in all honesty, I think is what this war is all about in the first place. I've been saying this for years now. If we can surround Iran, getting the killing machines on all their borders, they'll freak out and provoke a war of which will spark the rest of civilized society to finally say "OK, enough of this Iran, we've all been held hostage by you and your threats over the past several decades! You want to fight? Well, we're ready! No other country to fly over to bomb you, no other country to concur to get to you...no buffer zone into your country anymore...so let's get it on and get this over with asap".

That's just my 2 cents worth....