Got Into A Minor Accident

When looking for a new body shop, is there anything that i should look for, like lifetime warranties etc?

I'm not "that" worried about the price, i just don't want to be stuck three years down the road with the thing pealing again..then i'm screwed. I want it done right, or the knowledge that if it does peal i can just take it back to them.

Is the warranty worth it? Is speding a little extra for a lifetime warranty worth it?

The last body shop i have been to didn't offer any warranty, and i didn't like their work; i'm switching...

thanks

I would be more concerned with the quality of work the shop does. We have several body shops in our area that have lifetime warranties but if the owner sells the shop, which has happened to 3 great body shops in our area you warranty will more than likely not be honored by the new owner, especially if there is a name change. This is why it is much more important that the insurance company guarantees the work (not in your case though) Lexkid- go into the shop and look at some of the cars that are in there and look at a few of the before and after photo's. A good shop will have no problem fixing your bumper so that it is not noticeable. If it is a good shop the most important thing will be that you are satisfied, and I have had a whole car repainted because I was not satisfied with the work that the shop did the 1st time.

Once again sorry for the comments before...had a bad week...boss on vacation and we had a employee quit on us...to much stress...should have not taken it out on you guys

When looking for a new body shop, is there anything that i should look for, like lifetime warranties etc?

I'm not "that" worried about the price, i just don't want to be stuck three years down the road with the thing pealing again..then i'm screwed. I want it done right, or the knowledge that if it does peal i can just take it back to them.

Is the warranty worth it? Is speding a little extra for a lifetime warranty worth it?

The last body shop i have been to didn't offer any warranty, and i didn't like their work; i'm switching...

thanks

I would be more concerned with the quality of work the shop does. We have several body shops in our area that have lifetime warranties but if the owner sells the shop, which has happened to 3 great body shops in our area you warranty will more than likely not be honored by the new owner, especially if there is a name change. This is why it is much more important that the insurance company guarantees the work (not in your case though) Lexkid- go into the shop and look at some of the cars that are in there and look at a few of the before and after photo's. A good shop will have no problem fixing your bumper so that it is not noticeable. If it is a good shop the most important thing will be that you are satisfied, and I have had a whole car repainted because I was not satisfied with the work that the shop did the 1st time.

Once again sorry for the comments before...had a bad week...boss on vacation and we had a employee quit on us...to much stress...should have not taken it out on you guys

Thanks ;) I'll take a ride by a few this week.

You should always look for a shop with a warranty (I dont think I've ever used one that hasn't had a warranty) if only to know that they're confident in their work.

Other than that I dont know what else there is I can add to LEXI's post.

Not to worry, happens to all of us.

• 2 months later...

I forgot to update; i got the bumper repainted last week.

Dropped it off 10:00 am, picked it up 3:00 pm THE SAME DAY.

RESULTS:

-one of the reflectors at the bottom of the bumper was MELTED! (they're ordering me another one)

-there were a few "drips" of the clearcoat but one if his guys came out and wetsanded and polished them to normal...

-the black bumper cover was put back with some 2 sided tape that is already coming loose!

Price? FREE

I guess you get what you pay for!

Also, how did they paint a bumper in 5 hours?? It was totally dry & sandable too! A few years ago i had a door panel repainted and it took a week! And, how did they melt a reflector??? I didn't ask them since the owner was an old patient of mine and he was very apologetic about the mistake...

thanks for your input :unsure:

Here, are a few pictures of the melted reflector and the 2 sided tape strips they used... There appear to be some blemishes in the pictures with the reflector, but it's just a reflection

post-13420-1146024148.jpg

post-13420-1146024165.jpg

post-13420-1146024171.jpg

post-13420-1146024177.jpg

post-13420-1146024331.jpg

Nowadays bodyshops use paint booths equipped with high temperature ovens that bake-cure paint similarly to how its done at the factory. Thats how it becomes dry and sandable so fast. Thats also probably how the reflector melted, allthough they're obviously supposed to remove things like that.

Nowadays bodyshops use paint booths equipped with high temperature ovens that bake-cure paint similarly to how its done at the factory. Thats how it becomes dry and sandable so fast. Thats also probably how the reflector melted, allthough they're obviously supposed to remove things like that.

Oh... and they didn'e even take the bumper off the car to paint it!! I can tell because there is paint on the rubber trim at the bottom of the tailgate with masking tape glue EVERYWHERE around the trim of the actual car.

Do you think this thing is going to start pealing on a year or 2? Or will this last? :(