States That Don't Allow Tint At All?

sapper_daddy

i know this might get pushed to a general forum (by the way where is this audio forum i've seen posts about on here?) but i was curious if there were any law enforcement officers in here and what their state's laws are on window tint and what might cause them to stop a vehicle for a violation. i've been doing research on it and it seems like there are some serious differences between states. just opening a thread to get some different facts

i know this might get pushed to a general forum (by the way where is this audio forum i've seen posts about on here?) but i was curious if there were any law enforcement officers in here and what their state's laws are on window tint and what might cause them to stop a vehicle for a violation. i've been doing research on it and it seems like there are some serious differences between states. just opening a thread to get some different facts

I'd try a 'Google' search bud ('state laws on window tinting' or something like that).....your correct that the laws do vary depending on the state (and province if one is in Canada). I personally have a 'medium' shade of tint or 20% on all my windows my ES....except the windshield of course (Ontario law states I should have at most 35% shade or 'light' on the 2 front windows......shhhhhh don't tell anyone! :blink: ). Most states will have similar rules for the 2 front side windows which they are most concerned about. If a police officer pulls up beside me at a traffic light for example (even when it's well below freezing out) I just roll down my drivers side window so they can see light through. Other than that, drive with common sense is the best advice & one won't give them a reason to pull you over or get suspicious. B)

BTW, Llumar & 3M are 2 of the best quality tints available......get it scratch resistant too. Hope this helps.

As for the Audio / Video / Electronics forum......it's on this site....just click on the main USA forums & scroll down about 2/3rds of the way.....you will find it. ;)

:cheers:

I don't think that PA allows any tint at all. Some states are rear only or various shades depending on the window. In VA you can have max 30% transmission on the rear and 50% on the front. I had 30% all around on my ES and was never pulled. I had to pay extra for it and sign a waiver to get it done. I plan on tinting my LS when it warms up a little and I'll do 30% all around again.

Up here in CT one can have 0% on the back window and 35% on the sides. My wife was pulled over for 15 and I have 30 on my LS. We changed hers to 35 and everything is good. The state has some inspectors that check replaced tint after it is changed or within 14 days.

If a car has front and back side windows with a small corner back window then they can not check the small corner window. They have to be able to lower window to place guage on it. Good luck.. There are plenty of lists on the internet of tint % allowed in the state.

I don't know about the rest of the state, but in Orleans parish, we are allowed 40% on the front and 25% on the back. 25% on the back is stupid. I used to have 10% all around until I got stopped. It was just a bit of bad luck for me since I was minding my own business (not speeding or driving wrecklessly) and got flagged down by a State Trooper. I suppose he was fishing for a DWI since it was late at night and I was near a bar, and after he saw and smelled me, he moved on to a different violation with the tint. He only metered my front driver's window. I really think you can slide with darker tint on the rear. I think the ticket ended up being $150, then another $50 to get my front two windows stripped and retinted to 40%. It was almost like I didn't mind (well I did, but it wasn't as bad as getting them usually is.) getting the ticket since Trooper treated me like a human being which I've never experienced with a cop before.

In Illinois, I'm not sure if there is a limit on the darkness of the tint, but I do know you're not allowed to have ANY tint on the front door windows or on the windshield.

I've seen many cars with tint on the front side windows though. My friend used to be pulled over all the time for it - he finally had it lightened (still not legal) so he doesn't get hassled.

It's one of those things that a cop would write you up for if you were pulled over for something else. In Illinois there aren't yearly inspections of your cars for noise or tint or anything. They only test for emissions every couple of years in certain counties (mostly near Chicago).

in new york legal is 35% and sometimes the DO pull you over just for the windows. you can say that you bought a car like that and sometimes it works and they will give you a warning. if they give you tickets you have to decide whats best for you: taking the tint off and not paying the ticket or paying the ticket.:)

i know states around ny are the same way. in NJ you cant even get state inspection if you have tint. in pennsilvania they dont care at all. in ny they are closing eyes on this issue most of the time. we got so many cars with all those "JDM" ligts of all colors, big buckets isntead of mufflers, intakes etc that if they police would start giving out tickets for all of that ppl would go broke:)

California

You can have the back windows (behind the driver) painted black if you want, as long as there is a driver's side and a passenger side rear mirror.

No tint is allowed from the driver's shoulders forward.

You are allowed a tint strip at the top of the windshield if it is opaque(no lettering is allowed though) and I think it can only be as low as 21 inches above the uncompressed seat bottom of the front seat.

Of course, lots of people get away with having the front door windows tinted and I have even had friends put a 5% tint strip on the top of the windshield and then apply a 35% tint to the rest of the windshield so that it doesn't appear to be tinted.

It's only illegal if you get caught. :whistles:

good stuff, i have 5% all around on my truck and i've never had problems here in LA but i know people that have cars that get stopped constantly i think i'm gonna go with 5 in the back and back window and then 30 in front and windshield, thanks for the tip on doing the eyebrow to disguise windshield tint, i think i might do that too! :ph34r: