Dealer Service

I went to the dealer two and a half weeks ago for some diagnostics and an oil change. The total came to 170 dollars. I told them that i thought a belt was squeaking but it increased in pitch to about 2500 RPM. They said it was the AC clutch assembly and to fix it the cost wouldl be 2200 dollars! They also said the serpentine (timing) belt needed to be changed and that would be 450 dollars.

my first question is, is the AC clutch assembly really responsible for my squeak. Two: is there a reputable shop in OREGON where i can get a new serpentine belt installed, I don't really have 500 dollars.

It's lexus and they treat you well, but the good service comes at a very steep premium.

Get a can of silicone spray and lightly mist the belt with the engine running. If the squeak goes away it's your belt that should be replaced. If the squeaking continues then it probably is the AC clutch assembly, or some other pully that the belt drives.

As for your timing belt, what's the mileage on your car?

-David

Get a can of silicone spray and lightly mist the belt with the engine running. If the squeak goes away it's your belt that should be replaced. If the squeaking continues then it probably is the AC clutch assembly, or some other pully that the belt drives.

As for your timing belt, what's the mileage on your car?

-David

this is the second timing belt.

Well, considering the timing belt could have been replaced 3 times by your current mileage (every 60,000 recomended) I'd say it's a good idea to do it again if it hasn't been done within the last 70,000 or so.

There's nothing worse than having your timing belt break or your water pump seize up. If the belt breaks or skips a few teeth the valves will get smashed by the pistons and then you're looking at an engine rebuild or possibly a low mileage motor to replace it.

I have seen timing belts go a lot farther than 60,000 miles but it's not worth it to risk it.

Also, keep up on those oil changes, we had an LS400 come in last week for a new motor because the cam shaft seized on the freeway. It seized because the oil passageways were clogged with thick dirty oil.

-Dave

Well, considering the timing belt could have been replaced 3 times by your current mileage (every 60,000 recomended) I'd say it's a good idea to do it again if it hasn't been done within the last 70,000 or so.

There's nothing worse than having your timing belt break or your water pump seize up. If the belt breaks or skips a few teeth the valves will get smashed by the pistons and then you're looking at an engine rebuild or possibly a low mileage motor to replace it.

I have seen timing belts go a lot farther than 60,000 miles but it's not worth it to risk it.

Also, keep up on those oil changes, we had an LS400 come in last week for a new motor because the cam shaft seized on the freeway. It seized because the oil passageways were clogged with thick dirty oil.

-Dave

I'm good about changing the oil in the car, and i know the huge risks of having an old timing belt. My problem is i need to find a reputable shop that doesn't charge an arm an a leg.

Does anyone have an idea of how much an timing belt replacement should cost?