Cd Play Popping/static Noise

nevadarick

On a road trip last week in my 95 LS 400, the CD player started making loud pops and cracks after about 5 hours of great playing. I've tried pressurized CO2 and vacuming the player with a straw. It will stop making the popping sounds for 1-5 minutes and then starts again. Any suggestions? Is it dirt or is it a loose wire? No problems playing the radio or tape player so its not the speakers.

Funny you posted this. I've been having the exact same situation on my '98. Certain CDs play fine, others make this kind of 'rotary scratchy' sound thru the speakers, sort of like an old vinyl LP with light scratches.

I suspect fine dust/lint/dirt that gathers on any CD after time.

Do we need to just clean off each CD before inserting in the cartridge with a damp cloth or is there something that needs to be done to the unit-some kind of cleaning?

Appreciate any responses and suggestions.

Are you playing burned discs? I get the occasional digital pop/crackle when playing some CD's ripped off my PC. Could also be a loose cable or dust on the laser itself.

All the disc I played were purchased. It seems like dust because I can blast it with compressed air and it works OK for a while. Have you ever taken the player out of the dash? I would be easier to clean.

Are you playing burned discs? I get the occasional digital pop/crackle when playing some CD's ripped off my PC. Could also be a loose cable or dust on the laser itself.

All the disc I played were purchased. It seems like dust because I can blast it with compressed air and it works OK for a while. Have you ever taken the player out of the dash? I would be easier to clean.

Clean the laser with a cd-rom cleaning disc, You might have to repeat the procedure 2-3 times. This should clear up your popping/static.

Clean the laser with a cd-rom cleaning disc, You might have to repeat the procedure 2-3 times. This should clear up your popping/static.

I tried a cleaning disc about 6 times. At first it helped but a few minutes after I started driving it started popping. I'm wondering if it lost a ground connection and is building up some static charge or if there is just a loose wire. Anybody ever take the CD player out of the glove box?

I tried a cleaning disc about 6 times. At first it helped but a few minutes after I started driving it started popping. I'm wondering if it lost a ground connection and is building up some static charge or if there is just a loose wire. Anybody ever take the CD player out of the glove box?

It's not terribly uncommon for these changers to break. Mine has been broken for a while. I ended up going with a new iPod and cassette adaptor rather than mess with another cd changer. The sound quality is excellent, imo.

The changer is fairly easy to take out. You start by removing the lower glove box which reveals the nuts for the wooden trim that surrounds the changer. Then, you'll see the few nuts that actually hold in the changer.