New Member With A Shock Question

showgun

My wife drives our 99 ES300 with standard suspension. What replacement shock would you recommend for a “stock” ride? Who makes the OEM shocks? I had the driver’s side front replaced at 40K due to clunking, now the passenger side is clunking at 75K. I guess the OEM shocks just suck. Anyway, after the dealer gave me a quote for $2500 for everything (4 shock, tops, boots, alignment, etc) I figured I’d give it a try myself. Can it be done in my driveway with jack stands or should I leave it to the pros? I did my 2000 4Runner myself but had lots more room under the wheels to work.

Recap:

1. Recommended replacement shock

2. Who makes the OEM shocks

3. Can I get away with replacing just the shocks and reusing tops and any other hardware if they look good?

(what is a top? Is it just a top plate they are talking about?) I reused the one in my 4Runner no problem.

4. Do it myself or take it to the shop?

5. Anybody have a link or info to a “do it yourself” write-up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

My wife drives our 99 ES300 with standard suspension. What replacement shock would you recommend for a “stock” ride? Who makes the OEM shocks? I had the driver’s side front replaced at 40K due to clunking, now the passenger side is clunking at 75K. I guess the OEM shocks just suck. Anyway, after the dealer gave me a quote for $2500 for everything (4 shock, tops, boots, alignment, etc) I figured I’d give it a try myself. Can it be done in my driveway with jack stands or should I leave it to the pros? I did my 2000 4Runner myself but had lots more room under the wheels to work.

Recap:

3. Can I get away with replacing just the shocks and reusing tops and any other hardware if they look good?

(what is a top? Is it just a top plate they are talking about?) I reused the one in my 4Runner no problem.

Dave

i like my monore senatrac's

dont kow

u should as long as ther is no rips.

depends on your tools at hand and expertise

http://www.turbotoyota.com/FSMs/1997%20Lex...20300%20FSM.zip try there

Recap:

Dave

Dave, I actually had the rear struts recently replaced in my '01 ES. The new strut assemblies are made from Gabriel, which is OEM for the Toyota Camry/Avalon and the Lexus ES300. I got them from Ebay for a really good deal (you should be able to find plenty more of those similar struts there), much much cheaper than the face value at the dealership. Since I'd have to get a 4-wheel alignment anyway after the strut install, I decided to let a shop take care of the services. Now there's no more noises or clunking in the rear, and the car really feels planted when taking corners at moderate speeds :cheers:

There is certainly a way to do the rear strut install in your driveway, if you have all the tools (i.e. floor jackstand, set of jacks, wrenches, etc.) Here's a write-up one of the LOC members did on his '97 ES (I think you'll be overwhelmed by how comprehensive the write-up is) :D

http://michalscheck.com/lexus/struts/struts.html

The new strut assemblies are made from Gabriel, which is OEM for the Toyota Camry/Avalon and the Lexus ES300.

funny, I have read in several different places that the OEM shocks/struts are made by KYB.

steviej

Not sure if this is allowed in the forum, but here's an Ebay link that explains the Gabriel struts (MacPherson-style) being OEM for the ES and Camry/Avalon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-AVAL...1QQcmdZViewItem

here's an Ebay link that explains the Gabriel struts (MacPherson-style) being OEM for the ES and Camry/Avalon:

I think you've been fooled by a slick talking ebay seller. The ebay seller words his ad in a manner that makes the public think all the aftermarket brand brake pads and struts he is selling are the same as "OEM" for Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Ford, etc.

The ebay seller is actually just selling generic Gabriel shocks that will physically fit a wide variety of Toyota / Lexus models and years (the 1992-2002 Camry, Avalon & ES300).

Factory original Camry,Avalon and ES300 shocks, on the other hand are typically made by Japanese companies like KYB and Tokico and the valving / stiffness and other characteristics are specially tailored for specific models (e.g 4 cyl vs. V6, base model vs. top of the line model, etc.) and model years That's why if you ordered factory replacement shocks for a 1992-2002 Camry, Avalon or ES300 from a Toyota /Lexus dealer, the dealer would have to wade through a long list of part numbers because Toyota does not simply make one strut that covers a wide range of models and model years.

In summary, the ebay seller offers only aftermarket quality struts and brake pads and only a "one size fits all" version of the struts.

Werd. Toyota has been using KYB exculsively on many car lines (Like the Camry platform) for mroe than a decade.

Hell even the major front engine mount is a KYB strut.

Nothing wrong with aftermarket replacements, but you got ripped if he sold it to you as OEM.

Toyota = KYB

I had the driver’s side front replaced at 40K due to clunking, now the passenger side is clunking at 75K. I guess the OEM shocks just suck.

My understanding from this forum, the RX forum and a Camry forum is that just the strut mounts need replacement to cure the clunking on late 90's Camry's and ES300's. There might even be a technical service bulletin on the strut mounts. Check alldata.com

The OEM KYB struts themselves are of such high quality they are good for upwards of 150,000 miles or more unless you drive alot on bumpy roads KYB is an abbreviation for the Japanese company called Kayaba.

I had the driver’s side front replaced at 40K due to clunking, now the passenger side is clunking at 75K. I guess the OEM shocks just suck.

My understanding from this forum, the RX forum and a Camry forum is that just the strut mounts need replacement to cure the clunking on late 90's Camry's and ES300's. There might even be a technical service bulletin on the strut mounts. Check alldata.com

The OEM KYB struts themselves are of such high quality they are good for upwards of 150,000 miles or more unless you drive alot on bumpy roads KYB is an abbreviation for the Japanese company called Kayaba.

That's good info. I'll look into it. It's not like the it's bouncing all over the place or anything. They are still smooth. Just getting a clunknig sound when rolling over bumps sometimes. Just figured the strut was shot. It did run through my mind that the mount was bad or not tight as I had a the same problem with a volvo when they did not tighten the top bolt down all the way.

Thanks