Fault Code 13, 31 And 41

maniek_LS

Hi,

I'm still new in LS. Last week I changed (all parts from dealer):

- spark plugs,

- wires

- distributor cap

- distributor 'finger'

Also cleaned throttle body (according to http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html)

After few days (when start raining) I saw Check engine light on + TCS off started blinking and sometimes went off. Engine has no power and I feel that is not working on all cylinders :cries: But after e.g. 2-3 minutes check engine light goes off and engine is working fine.

I read engine trouble codes (TE1 + E1 connectors) and got: 1-3, 3-1, 4-1.

Can you tell me (best show on the engine photo or schema) where speed sensor is located ? If you know where are wires under the hood will be great.

Thanks a lot

Mariusz

www.camry.atone.pl

Hello Maniek,

Some questions for you...

Was the car performing badly before you worked on it?

You said "after a few days, when it was raining" you noticed the problem. Are you saying everything worked fine immediately after the work you did, then later the trouble started?

When you say "after 2-3 minutes" everything is fine", are you saying when the engine kicks down to idle speed (~600 RPM)?

You might have a short in the throttle position sensor, or it may be stuck open. Are you asking for the location of this sensor?

Do you have the manual for the 1992? If not, I can email you the troubleshooting information for the diagnostic codes you indicated.

most importantly what year LS do you have? i have a 90 but Lexls.com is based on an 91 and the differences are numerous, trust i've tried most of the tutorials. the LS in essence has three speed sensors just on the tranny, but also speed sensors in the wheels. there are two identical ones on the tranny that cose about $50 but i'm not 100% sure what they do? there is another one ("vehicle speed sensor" or "speedometer sensor" from the dealer) on the transmission extention housing, which costs about $250 but it directly affects the speedometer. mine was broken for years but now with that everything is fine. i pray that it isn't the second one because that requires removal of the tranny which easily costs $2-300. i have a dealer picture of the speedometer sensor and i have the 90 LS repair manual if you need anything else! good luck :cheers:

most importantly what year LS do you have? i have a 90 but Lexls.com is based on an 91 and the differences are numerous, trust i've tried most of the tutorials. the LS in essence has three speed sensors just on the tranny, but also speed sensors in the wheels. there are two identical ones on the tranny that cose about $50 but i'm not 100% sure what they do? there is another one ("vehicle speed sensor" or "speedometer sensor" from the dealer) on the transmission extention housing, which costs about $250 but it directly affects the speedometer. mine was broken for years but now with that everything is fine. i pray that it isn't the second one because that requires removal of the tranny which easily costs $2-300. i have a dealer picture of the speedometer sensor and i have the 90 LS repair manual if you need anything else! good luck :cheers:

I was going to ask the same thing, but then I noticed he has the LS400 1992 in his signature, and that is the year of the manual I downloaded :cheers:

Was the car performing badly before you worked on it?

When I bought LS - it not worked fine (only on the 7 cylinders :-( on the one of cylinders there is poor compression - on 90% diagnosed as crooked valve) On the idle engine working on 7 cyls but when I accelerate to ~2500 RPM or higher is better.

You said "after a few days, when it was raining" you noticed the problem. Are you saying everything worked fine immediately after the work you did, then later the trouble started?

Yes I replaced those parts at 28th of Dec, and noticed problem yesterday :cries:

When you say "after 2-3 minutes" everything is fine", are you saying when the engine kicks down to idle speed (~600 RPM)?

No, I saw no rule when Check engine goes off (sometimes during normal drive or on the idle.

E.G. few minutes ago I ride very fast - and for 3-4km check engine and TRC were ON I stopped a car for 2 minutes and go back home and during 5km there was no Check Engine ! Now I coming to garage with multimeter and will spy were is a problem..

You might have a short in the throttle position sensor, or it may be stuck open. Are you asking for the location of this sensor?

I checked that code 1-3 is responsible to SPEED SENSOR, but I'll check TPSes also (I have two - is it true that one is for TRC ?)

Do you have the manual for the 1992?

Unfortunately not :cries: I'll be very appreciate if you can share it to me

Thank you

I'll update thread tonight when I back

Regards,

Mariusz /Maniek/

www.camry.atone.pl

LS 400 1992 EU

"WMLY 666"

Cool, I now have unlimited global space to post attachments!

Here are the troubleshooting sections of the manuals for the codes you indicate (assuming when you say "Code 1-3" you mean "Code 13").

troubleshooting_33_DIAGNOSTIC_CODE13_RPM_signal_circuit_no.2.pdf

dtc31.pdf

dtc4147.pdf

Below is the troubleshooting section for the RPM Signal Circuit, which the Code 13 section references. This section also shows you the location of the engine speed sensor you are looking for.

troubleshooting_29_DIAGNOSTIC_CODE12_17_18_RPM_signal_circuit.pdf

I hope these help. Let me kow if there is anything else you need, and I will try to find it.

Cool,

First - thanks for manuals - I'll back to you when I need something (e.g. wiring diagram) :geek:

:D :D repaired :-) ECU said true there were BROKEN circuit on the right speed sensor. Previous owner or mechanic or ... broken plastic which hold sensor cable to timing belt cover. And then cable was impend over cleat belt which regularly rubbed isolator of cable until damaged it.

Now car goes like before buy - on 7 cyls. but without Check engine light ON and without engine shake.

One thing more - when engine reach 5000RPM (after kick-down) is seams that speed goes down , AT not change gear to next one (up). After about second gear is shifted and RPM is about 4000 and accelerate to 5000 and again slowly, change gear and goes up . On a camry when I kicked down there were a power from 4000 till 6200, fast next gear (RPM back to 4000 and fast went to 6200 again on the next gear) until I reach 120MPH or more :-) Now my LS is very slow (in accelerate) comparing to camry :-( I'm unhappy on that..

Edited by maniek_LS

I'm glad some progress has been made... but you can't stop as long as your LS is slower than your Camry! Go for 8 cycliders!

Let me know what other sections you want to see, and I will try and find them for you.

Just checked your web site. That is a sweet LS. I like your wheels, too. What brand are they? Are they 15"?

Glad to hear that your problem was solved. I hope u can get the car running on all 8 cyclinders. I must agree with J.barley... ur car looks great. I can only wish my car looked 1/2 as nice :blink: I do like the rims too :lol:

Just checked your web site. That is a sweet LS. I like your wheels, too. What brand are they? Are they 15"?

Thanks :-) Wheels are made by DEZENT (it is a German company) model T. My current rims are 16" (I bought LS on 27th Oct and sold camry 28th Oct) and wheels are from my 'old' car. They look so small, because tires are 215x55x16 nor 225x65x16. After I repair engine I'm going to buy the same model of rims, but 17" or 18".

Thank you again. :cheers:

p.s. can you please send me wiring diagram of LS (directly on mail mmilobedzki(at)gazeta.pl)

I could send you some specific wiring diagrams, but there are lots of them in the manual (one for each specific area) so sending them individually would be time consuming.

I highly suggest doing as LEXLS suggests: "Subscribe to TIS Information. It only costs $10 for a one-day subscription. I tried this service and was very impressed at the value. For that ten bucks I was able to download every piece of information regarding my car! The entire shop manual, collision repair manual, wiring diagrams, wire harness repair info, new car features, service bulletins, technical reference info, and technical training info. Everything is in PDF format and comes directly from Toyota; there are no poor scans here. It does take a while to download all this because everything is separated by section and procedure. So, you'll have to do a lot of clicking and saving, but it's well worth it. If you go this route you should note that their site requires Adobe Reader 6.0.1, they have the link to the patch on the main page when you log in. This is definitely the best value around."

Here is the link: http://techinfo.lexus.com/

That's where I got my manual. It is tedious to save (and rename) each file, but as he says, well worth it, for $10. Also, worth knowing the site does not work if you are using Firefox as a browser. I switched to IE just for the downloads and it worked fine.

Thanks for the wheel information. My LS is black also and I am contemplating the 5 spoke look for the summer. B)

Since you say you are only on 7 cylinders for the time being, I won't comment on your speed woes. You probabbly already know this, but I have noticed there is a big difference in acceleration when you have the ECT set to POWER. My 1996 4Runner has the same option, but I never noticed any significant difference from a standing start. But the LS is a like a whole new vehicle!