Anyone With Smell Coming From Air Conditioner?

I am seriously thinking of getting the RX400. My current car is a '95 Camry running perfectly. The only problem I have with the Camry and the main reason my family wants me to get a new car is the bad smell from the air conditioner. I have tried using Lysol spray into the air intake but the smell is there especially after I turn off the AC.

I see one post here in the forum about smell coming from AC on the RX400 also. Anyone else with similar problem? Does the RX400 come with replaceable interior air filters for the AC/Vents?

I am seriously thinking of getting the RX400. My current car is a '95 Camry running perfectly. The only problem I have with the Camry and the main reason my family wants me to get a new car is the bad smell from the air conditioner. I have tried using Lysol spray into the air intake but the smell is there especially after I turn off the AC.

I see one post here in the forum about smell coming from AC on the RX400 also. Anyone else with similar problem? Does the RX400 come with replaceable interior air filters for the AC/Vents?

Of course it does. Everytime i go for a tune-up, i mention about the air coming in and they always make a comment about how dirty my filter is, lol. What ur camry is probably experiencing is mold in the air ducts. I know that sounds kinda gross but its more common than you think. Check to see if water leaks from under the car when the AC is on and parked. If there isnt, the water is going somewhere else and is causing the smell. I beleive there are things u can buy to clean that up at auto stores but im not sure about that.

Of course it does. Everytime i go for a tune-up, i mention about the air coming in and they always make a comment about how dirty my filter is, lol. What ur camry is probably experiencing is mold in the air ducts. I know that sounds kinda gross but its more common than you think. Check to see if water leaks from under the car when the AC is on and parked. If there isnt, the water is going somewhere else and is causing the smell. I beleive there are things u can buy to clean that up at auto stores but im not sure about that.

Yes, water does leak out after I park my Camry. So I do not think the drain is plugged. I am afraid that mold have already seeded my AC system permanently. :( It smells really bad after I use the AC. I have a theory about why I got infected. I always park my car in a parking garage that is on an incline. The water probably never drains completely during the summer. I just read about a company called AirSept and have e-mailed them some questions.

I am glad tha the RX has an interior filter... is the filter located before or after the AC cooling coils?

Advice from Toyota's corporate website (toyota.com)

Service and Maintenance

Last Updated 11/01/2005

Air Conditioning Odor 

Question: What causes air conditioner odor? How can I prevent the odor from occurring? 

Answer: During air conditioner operation, cold refrigerant is pumped through the evaporator core by an

engine-driven compressor. A fan then blows air through “fins” in the evaporator to cool the air. These fins also act as an air filter, trapping bacteria, spores, and dirt. These airborne particles are normally washed out a drain hole with condensation, but if they remain on a moist evaporator, they may collect and cause an

unpleasant odor. This effect is more frequently found in humid climates where more condensate accumulates. This situation is not unique to Toyota; it is an industry-wide condition. To prevent the odor, Toyota recommends the following:

1. Avoid parking under trees to reduce the possibility of leaves entering the air intake.

2. Use the fresh air setting on your climate control rather than the recirculated air setting whenever possible to allow the evaporator to dry out

3. Drive on paved roads whenever feasible as dusty conditions may accelerate the condition

If the condition already exists, spraying a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water (1 to 5 ratio/mixture) or a disinfectant in the outside air intake may help reduce the smell. If these steps do not alleviate the odor, we encourage you to contact your local Toyota dealership for a thorough evaluation of the condition.

When spraying anything into the outside air inlets at the bottom of the windshield its a good idea to be sure the system is not in recirculate, the blower motor is on a medium speed and the rear windows are down.

It helps tremendously if you park under shelter and can lower the windows slightly each and every night.