High Pitched Sound At Start-up On Occasion

Hi Guys,

On occassion when I start up my car in the morning, I hear a high pitched revolving noise coming from my engine after I have started my car. I notice it tends to happen in the morning when I start my car. After I have driven my car around and turn it on later in the day, the noise is not present. I noticed that if i don't drive my car for a day or two, the noise will be present when I start my car in the morning. I THINK it's the timing belt, but I really have no idea. It's an 01 RX300 with about 61K miles. I've been reading on the forum that the belt doesn't need to be replaced until a minimum 90k and many replace it at 120k+.

When I took my car in for the 60k tune-up the dealer recommended I replaced my brake fluid and replace my timing belt. I thought he was just trying to take more $ from me since I had already changed my brake fluid at 30K and a timing belt lasts pretty long. any truth? have any of you guys experienced the same?

any suggestions/help is appreciated.

happy holidays :cheers:

thanks

Sounds like one of the accessory belts or the V-belt not the timing belt. It is either loose or wore out have them changed. The timing belt is not going to squeal like that.

Jeff

It's most likely the v-belt. You can pick up a can of belt dressing and spray it on when it's making the noise. If the noise goes away, you found it. Have the v-belt changed. The timing belt is not due to 90K and most likely would last much longer than that.

As far as the brake fluid goes, it should be changed every 30k per the RX owners manual.

It's most likely the v-belt. You can pick up a can of belt dressing and spray it on when it's making the noise. If the noise goes away, you found it. Have the v-belt changed. The timing belt is not due to 90K and most likely would last much longer than that.

As far as the brake fluid goes, it should be changed every 30k per the RX owners manual.

Thanks, guys. I am a bit unfamiliar with the accessory belt and V-belt. Could you guys provide some insight into what they are and what purpose they serve? I'll probably go pick up a can of the belt dressing and try that out. Where are these belts located?

Thanks!

It is very common to have the alternator make a high pitch noise at start up in cold environments. This has to do with the load vs the RPM's. That is not to say that changing a belt won't help it though.

Why,,, a good belt would eliminate some of the slippage at the alternator pulley. This would mean that all of the mechanical power is getting to the pulley., As a result, the alternator works a bit easier to produce the required output...

Thanks, guys. I am a bit unfamiliar with the accessory belt and V-belt. Could you guys provide some insight into what they are and what purpose they serve? I'll probably go pick up a can of the belt dressing and try that out. Where are these belts located?

Thanks!

The belts are on the passenger side of the engine. Looking from the front with the hood open the one in the front is the a/c, alternator belt and the one below and to the rear is the power steering pump belt. The timing belt is enclosed and can not be seen.

Thanks!

The belts are on the passenger side of the engine. Looking from the front with the hood open the one in the front is the a/c, alternator belt and the one below and to the rear is the power steering pump belt. The timing belt is enclosed and can not be seen.

thanks mikey..this is very helpful information

i have an 02 with 39000km with the same problem....i suppose this isn't under warranty is it?

it's like a squealing that is audible when you start the cara fter not driving for a day or two.....quite annoying

If you car has 39,000kilometers which is about 24,200 miles, this should certainly be covered warranty for you. Those belts are good for about 60,000 miles and it looks like you haven't even reached half life yet but they are already making noise. I'd have it checked out. I've seen others on this forum who have gotten the AC/powersteering belts replaced for free.

• 2 weeks later...

i have an 02 with 39000km with the same problem....i suppose this isn't under warranty is it?

it's like a squealing that is audible when you start the cara fter not driving for a day or two.....quite annoying

If you car has 39,000kilometers which is about 24,200 miles, this should certainly be covered warranty for you. Those belts are good for about 60,000 miles and it looks like you haven't even reached half life yet but they are already making noise. I'd have it checked out. I've seen others on this forum who have gotten the AC/powersteering belts replaced for free.

I just received both my v-belts today ( alternator and power steering). now I just need to find some mechanic who can change it w.o !Removed! up the car =]. hopefully they won't rip me off. how much is a reasonable job cost?

My 2001 RX 300 makes the same high pitch whine in the mornings when I first start it and then goes away after a while. I have the same question as GoldenStateSilverSport, how much should those belts cost with installation?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

My 2001 RX 300 makes the same high pitch whine in the mornings when I first start it and then goes away after a while. I have the same question as GoldenStateSilverSport, how much should those belts cost with installation?

Thanks in advance.

Toyota quoted by about $100 + costs of both belts