Turn Signal Volume

clarkcjtpw

Whoa, that's a new one - someone complaining about something in a Lexus being too quiet. I have been following several Lexus forums for years and I don't remember anyone ever asking this question.

No, there is no CBEST setting for flasher volume. There are two pages of customizable settings but none for this. Substituting another flasher module is certainly an interesting idea.

Have you had your 98 long? I suspect that you will get use to the rather low noise the flasher makes.

Are your flasher indicators in the cluster working? At night the flashing light from the front turn signals is very easy to see compared to the pre-98 LS400.

Very interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, that's a new one - someone complaining about something in a Lexus being too quiet. I have been following several Lexus forums for years and I don't remember anyone ever asking this question.

No, there is no CBEST setting for flasher volume. There are two pages of customizable settings but none for this. Substituting another flasher module is certainly an interesting idea.

Have you had your 98 long? I suspect that you will get use to the rather low noise the flasher makes.

Are your flasher indicators in the cluster working? At night the flashing light from the front turn signals is very easy to see compared to the pre-98 LS400.

Very interesting...

jim, my hearing is not what it once was. i've located a "load" replacement flasher at checker for lexus ls400. i now can't figure out how to remove the current flasher. it's on the driver's side behind the carpet next to the foot brake assembly. do you know how to remove it? thanks for your help. chris

Clark,

Do you find yourself using a turn signal but the self cancelling feature does not turn off the signal after turning a corner?

My hearing is not so good either - probably too much time around 155 Howizters in an artillery battery when I was young! I can't hear the audible sound the flasher makes in my LS but I don't hear the flasher in our Camry or in many other cars either.

Assuming your LS is new to you, consider learning to glance at the instrument cluster every minute or so.

What's next? Are you going to take off the mufflers so you can tell if the engine is running? Just kidding - REALLY!

Aren't these nice problems to have with a car?

I can't help with removing the flasher. I tried unplugging the horn relay last week and I couldn't even get it out - very embarrassing and I even have the shop manuals.

My 98 is just as hard to hear the signal clik on and off.

You cannot replace it with another type that is louder as it is not a iso speced one but a jso. This means it is also not a simple lug and play style one with 3 ir 2 wires (iso) but has about 8 wires and 2 internal relays that also run the hazards and bulb out idicators.

I removed mine from the bracket and left it to sit a bit over the carpet so now it is slightly more audible.

I hope someday Lexus would come up with a Volume control knob (for Turn signal) located next to the Light intensity knob, on the dashboard. At 62, I'm having some degree of hearing problem.