Need Source For Quality Alternator

lexluxury

Autozone? My Lex parts service quoted me $489. Seems high. Can I get one somewhere else for less. not sure how much more time I have. Car died once today...all lights coming on (battery, trac light off warning light, another warning light on dash says "ABS"). I'm not using headlights and radio isn't even turning on...battery is a Sears Diehard and was checked only a month or so ago and rated 'excellent'. It's not the battery.

I never exchange alternators or starters. In my town we have an automotive electrical rebuilder, and I take my customers components to them for rebuilding. I get the same component back, rebuilt, garanteed. I also have them rebuild my own stuff, and they checked the alternator in my LS and installed new brushes, bench tested, for $35.00. The ATF had destroyed the brushes, but that was all. A rebuild, brushes, bearings, slip rings, full cleaning, would have been about $150.00. Even the local Lexus dealer uses this same shop for alts and starters.

Don't buy new, or exchange from the dealer. No need to.

thanks SRK. your option sounds great, but won't work for me here in Los Angeles. i need to get this fixed...and am pretty sure it is the alternator. i called autozone, because i'm not about to pay almost 500 for this part from the dealer. autozone has a reman duralast with a lifetime warranty for 165 and i can get it installed for not much -- $60 or so. the guy i talked to used to have his own repair shop and seemed knowledgeable. he listened to all my 'symptoms' and said he thought it was the voltage regulator, but that it made no sense to try to fix just that, would have to take it apart, etc., and that i may as well replace alternator. he will run tests on it tomrrow and look over wiring, connections, belt. said they did not have denso, which others have recommended. i know there are difference in quality on this part. should i go with this? i can't lose another day with being out of a car which is why i am tempted. it's got a lifetime warranty, for one thing..thoughts?

I never exchange alternators or starters. In my town we have an automotive electrical rebuilder, and I take my customers components to them for rebuilding. I get the same component back, rebuilt, garanteed. I also have them rebuild my own stuff, and they checked the alternator in my LS and installed new brushes, bench tested, for $35.00. The ATF had destroyed the brushes, but that was all. A rebuild, brushes, bearings, slip rings, full cleaning, would have been about $150.00. Even the local Lexus dealer uses this same shop for alts and starters.

Don't buy new, or exchange from the dealer. No need to.

not too sure about duralast but check with Bosch. i got mine from a local pep boys for $160 without core (i brought the old one in at purchase). lifetime warranty also, perfect fit and relatively easy to install. i would've perferred denso but those were at lease $60 more and their main source is a "stealer" or online which takes time to deliver. but from what my friend tells me, BMW oem is Bosch. now if that's a good thing or a bad thing i'm not sure of... <_<

one more thing, ALWAYS check out EBAY!

Rebuilt alternators are not all the same, they can have numerous differences. Some will only repair the faulty part of a unit and sell it as rebuilt while others such as Denso will actually completely replace nearly everything inside regardless if it's working or not. I've had terrible experience with any rebuilt component from Autozone, so based on my experience I would not recommend them (even if they give you a lifetime warranty). If you want the best rebuilt unit then definitely get the Denso rebuilt (about $200). This is the same unit that the dealer is trying to sell you for $489 (ask to see it if you don't believe me). Also, search the forum as there has been much discussion on this before.

Rebuilt alternators are not all the same, they can have numerous differences. Some will only repair the faulty part of a unit and sell it as rebuilt while others such as Denso will actually completely replace nearly everything inside regardless if it's working or not. I've had terrible experience with any rebuilt component from Autozone, so based on my experience I would not recommend them (even if they give you a lifetime warranty). If you want the best rebuilt unit then definitely get the Denso rebuilt (about $200). This is the same unit that the dealer is trying to sell you for $489 (ask to see it if you don't believe me). Also, search the forum as there has been much discussion on this before.

thanks all. will look for denso this AM. if i don't have to drive to far to get it, this might work. i got about five miles yesterday before all the warning lights started coming on...darn! thank god it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to install. thank god for that.

thanks all. went with a reman original for 200. autozone was too far away for me to get to for the duralast...only got a 12 month warranty on this part, but i had to get it done. he said they've been getting their parts from this supplier for 5 years and have had few problems....what are the odds? i checked the description on the box for what had been done on the rebuild...they put in a lot of new parts -- brushes, seals, i don't remember what all -- but looks like they only 'tested or replaced with new' several other components (regulator, etc.). we could see through the vents and looks like they replaced almost everything (cld see new coils, new regulator, etc.). another fun day with the car!

someone on this board mentioned sparkplugs.com the other day $168 with no core, i believe.