Is 250 Or Is 350? How To Decide!

Test drove a 2006 IS 350 yesterday. Will test IS 250 (RWD A/T) next week when one is available. Although I didn't go WOT during test drive, I sensed awesome power was there because my right foot barely moved a 1/4 inch. Because I'm 59 years old and drive like a blue-haired old lady, I'm wondering if the IS 350 is too much car for me and I would be wasting the car's capabilities (I rarely go WOT and almost never exceed the speed limit). I'm thinking that the IS 250 might be a better match for my driving style. Also, this car will be driving also by my wife who is even a more conservative driver than I.

Question for IS 250 owners/test drivers: Was IS 250 power adequate for everyday driving and passing/merging activities?

Test drove a 2006 IS 350 yesterday. Will test IS 250 (RWD A/T) next week when one is available. Although I didn't go WOT during test drive, I sensed awesome power was there because my right foot barely moved a 1/4 inch. Because I'm 59 years old and drive like a blue-haired old lady, I'm wondering if the IS 350 is too much car for me and I would be wasting the car's capabilities (I rarely go WOT and almost never exceed the speed limit). I'm thinking that the IS 250 might be a better match for my driving style. Also, this car will be driving also by my wife who is even a more conservative driver than I.

Question for IS 250 owners/test drivers: Was IS 250 power adequate for everyday driving and passing/merging activities?

When the 250 comes in, test drive it and then drive the 350 again, back to back. That should help you decide.

350 has an excess of power... if you rarely exceed the speed limit , I doubt the extra $$ are worth it.

Of course, excess power could corrupt you...not necessarily a bad thing :)

Perhaps what will be most telling is what car you drive today, and what you are would like

to get from a new car.

I traded a BMW 325xi for my IS 250 AWD. I drove both the 250 and the 350. My first reaction to driving the 350 was that I would get speeding tickets with it. The 250 AWD is a lot more responsive than my 325xi (2002).

The 250 is definitely enough car for me.

Get the IS250, then drive in the right lane and let the 350's go bye. (spelling intended) :) Just kidding, of course.

I've driven both cars, back to back. The 250 was an AWD, automatic, which is probably the slowest and heaviest version of the car. It was a little too sluggish for me. (I'm coming out of a BMW M3.) However, it had a very solid ride quality, very BMW-like. It handled great, cornered with grip and tenacity and felt very solid and secure. Since you're in Austin, TX, you probably don't need AWD. The RWD version is probably a few hundred pounds lighter and so should be quicker. If you can deal with a clutch and a shifter, the manual should be a little quicker still. If your driving style is truly as you describe it, I think the 250 would be the more appropriate and practical car for you and your wife.

However, for me, the addition of 100 hp in the IS350 simply takes the car to another level. It was absolutely a hoot to drive. I found myself slowing down, just so I could speed up again. Powering out of the apex of a corner was thrilling. I found it to be as much fun to drive as my '97 M3 and much more solid, luxurious and technologically advanced.

My IS350 is scheduled to arrive between Jan. 3rd and Jan. 6th. :)

Good luck and let us know your decision.

Craig

Thanks to all for advice/comments. We're set to drive the 250 Thursday morning. I should have enough skills to go all out on freeway access ramps to gauge adequacy of reputed 7.9 second 0-60 performance. I'm afraid to retest the 350 because, frankly, I've never driven a car with 5.6 second 0-60 capability. But if I were single and 30 years younger....

Although lexus perfers luxury over sports, lexus is very SMOOTH car (to me this is not a good thing). Even with my ES330 which is even smoother, if lets see im going 100mph, it still feels like 60mph. I learned the hard way with a ticket at 99 and traffic school :)

I have driven the IS350, its a well-made car. It still has the smoothness part of it which i hate as compared to BMW 330 road feel. However, driving at high speeds is fun with the car. If you are not going to drive lets just say past 65MPH , go for the IS250, it deliveries enough power, AWD is a option (i heard AWD and manual dont come together, not sure about this myself) and you can out turn a IS350!.