Steering Anomaly And Air Conditioning Smell

I purchased the 400h in April this year. Immediately it became apparent that at slow speeds, like coming to a traffic sign, the car would turn to the downhill side of a crowned road if one did not hold the steering wheel. The Lexus dealer had it in three times, realigned it twice, and could not determine the problem. They finally decided it was the Michelin tire profile that caused it but no other explanation. Other vehicles with the same tire do not have the problem. Is this something that is inherent with the steering system of this vehicle? I now have nearly 14,000 miles on the vehicle with the same problem. Has any one else run across this steering problem?

Also, since living in south Florida, I have a recurring problem with a mold smell coming from the air conditioning system. I was told by a service technician this is caused by water not draining properly from the evaporator housing and mold from the atmosphere collects in the pooled water. Lexus claims this is not a design defect. Is there anyone else with the same problem?

First i am going to ask the obvious, many of our 400h's were sent from the factory with 40psi in the tires. An amazing number of dealers never lowered the pressure before delivery. I assume yours is correct, but did anyone check? Next, if they are saying the Michelins were the problem, ask for Goodyear Eagles, those are original equipment on many of our 400h's including mine. It is true that this vehicles steering is more sensitive to crowns in the road and has some torque steer like many front wheel drives however i think your problem is correctable. It is clear from this forum that there are different quality lexus dealers out there like everything else and something tells me yours is not as good as most. How close is another dealer? There was another poster online with this problem and it took some special alignment settings to get his fixed but they did it. (that is why i dont trust your dealer when they blamed the tires). I would also get lexus corporate involved, they really do want you to have a good experience with this car.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my RX400h pulling (the service manager called it drifting) to the right no matter what speed or which way the crown of the road was running. I just got it fixed yesterday after hassling with the service department ever since my 5K service. It had almost 8K before they finally replaced all four Michelin tires. I don't know where you live in Florida but if you live near Margate, Florida you may want to try taking it to JM Lexus. Even though getting them to fix it was a hassle they did the right thing and took care of the problem. BTW I have the same problem with the mold smell. Maybe it is the high Florida humidity in as I live fairly close to the coast. In any case it is very annoying considering how expensive these cars are.

I had the same problem with my RX400h pulling (the service manager called it drifting) to the right no matter what speed or which way the crown of the road was running. I just got it fixed yesterday after hassling with the service department ever since my 5K service. It had almost 8K before they finally replaced all four Michelin tires. I don't know where you live in Florida but if you live near Margate, Florida you may want to try taking it to JM Lexus. Even though getting them to fix it was a hassle they did the right thing and took care of the problem. BTW I have the same problem with the mold smell. Maybe it is the high Florida humidity in as I live fairly close to the coast. In any case it is very annoying considering how expensive these cars are.

regarding the mold smell,

The dealer said to turn recirculating off to 'clear' the a/c system. Has anybody had success with this?

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the 400h in April this year. Immediately it became apparent that at slow speeds, like coming to a traffic sign, the car would turn to the downhill side of a crowned road if one did not hold the steering wheel. The Lexus dealer had it in three times, realigned it twice, and could not determine the problem. They finally decided it was the Michelin tire profile that caused it but no other explanation. Other vehicles with the same tire do not have the problem. Is this something that is inherent with the steering system of this vehicle? I now have nearly 14,000 miles on the vehicle with the same problem. Has any one else run across this steering problem?

Also, since living in south Florida, I have a recurring problem with a mold smell coming from the air conditioning system. I was told by a service technician this is caused by water not draining properly from the evaporator housing and mold from the atmosphere collects in the pooled water. Lexus claims this is not a design defect. Is there anyone else with the same problem?

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem. The dealer first check the alignment, then agreed to change all 4 tires from Michelin's (which I preferred) to Goodyears, but the problem persisted. As a last attempt to fix my problem, I threaten to resort the Lemon Law, then they got serious.

As it turned out, as the dealer explains, the cause of the drift (sometimes a strong drift or pull) per the factory, there are some production units in which the power steering, which is electric and computer powered, is too sensitive and "over assists" when the steering sensors detects the car wants to turn right (road crowns). My drift problem was solved when the dealer/factory installed a new steering computer (they tel me there are 15 different computers through out) which is much less sensitive. Steering appears slightly less responsive in normal driving, but that'f fine with me if it means solving the drift problem.

The dealer showed me a copy of the factory notification of this problem and recommended solution which cost the dealer/factory $1500. With this factory notification out to dealers, I'm surprised to see this problem still exist, unless they don't want to spring for the $1500 fix.

I had exactly the same problem. The dealer first check the alignment, then agreed to change all 4 tires from Michelin's (which I preferred) to Goodyears, but the problem persisted. As a last attempt to fix my problem, I threaten to resort the Lemon Law, then they got serious.

As it turned out, as the dealer explains, the cause of the drift (sometimes a strong drift or pull) per the factory, there are some production units in which the power steering, which is electric and computer powered, is too sensitive and "over assists" when the steering sensors detects the car wants to turn right (road crowns). My drift problem was solved when the dealer/factory installed a new steering computer (they tel me there are 15 different computers through out) which is much less sensitive. Steering appears slightly less responsive in normal driving, but that'f fine with me if it means solving the drift problem.

The dealer showed me a copy of the factory notification of this problem and recommended solution which cost the dealer/factory $1500. With this factory notification out to dealers, I'm surprised to see this problem still exist, unless they don't want to spring for the $1500 fix.

Very interseting. I can see why they would not want to "eat" a $1500 issue, but they must have spent a 3rd of that on the new tires... and time spent trying to diswade you of your issue. Seems like a dealer I would not go back to.

Did they happen to give you a copy of the factory notice or at least mention a document number in your work order? Could you share it with us?

Mine has this tendancy as well, although it seems to have less "overboost" feel than the 330's I driven. It can be annoying at times, especially while crawling along in stop and go traffic on a banked turn made for 70mph traffic flow <_<

Very interseting. I can see why they would not want to "eat" a $1500 issue, but they must have spent a 3rd of that on the new tires... and time spent trying to diswade you of your issue. Seems like a dealer I would not go back to.

Did they happen to give you a copy of the factory notice or at least mention a document number in your work order? Could you share it with us?

Mine has this tendancy as well, although it seems to have less "overboost" feel than the 330's I driven. It can be annoying at times, especially while crawling along in stop and go traffic on a banked turn made for 70mph traffic flow <_<

Yeah, let me find it and see if there's a reference # that you could show your dealer. I'll be back to you.

The factory advisory reads as follows:

Technical Service Information Bulletin November 11,2005

Title:

Vehicle Slight Pull Drift to Right Improvement (ST003-05)

Good Luck

Yeah, let me find it and see if there's a reference # that you could show your dealer. I'll be back to you.

Also, the part # that they changed: Power Steering Computer Assembly Part # 89650-48010

Anyone know how much of the car needs dismantled to install the new computer? My 400h has had the stearing road crown ''tugging" problem since I got it but I'm hesitant to have the dealer dismantle the car and create other problems. I now have 23,000 miles on the car with 0 other problems!

Ron