Sc300 Brakes

When I turn my 1996 SC300 off, then come back to it later (and start it) after it's been sitting (even just a few minutes) or even just put it into "park" for a minute something happens to my brakes. After sitting for a little while and then idling in reverse or drive (to back out or whatever) I press on my brakes and they make a popping noise- kind of like the noise a coke can makes when you press in on it and then let go and it pops back out. But then after that if I go slow or idle they make the same noise only not as loud. But then when I'm at a speed higher than I'd say about 15 mph my brakes don't make the noise- I guess b/c they've warmed up or something by then.

Is that just what the SC brakes do when they're "cold"? Or is there something wrong with them? They've done this ever since I bought it used a year ago. It's never really bothered me, but my friends have been commenting on the noise- asking me what's wrong with my brakes. So that got me thinking, is there something wrong with them? I was thinking it might be something with the brake pads. Ya'll have any ideas? Thanks

That is not really normal. Drum brakes do that but not disc brakes. If you are familiar with brake systems you could look for a sticky piston in the caliper is what I might guess. Or something like a pad or complete caliper may be loose. Hard to say though. Perhaps it should be taken to a competent shop.

when this happens do you notice a jerk on the car like the whole car moves? cuz i think your lower suspension arm bushings are gone meaning your in for about $800 on suspension arms left and right i had the same problem. if your going to change it your self write back and ill tell you how to do it.

That is a good point. The bushings may be blasted. I would say it is definitely cheaper and a better alternative to buy polyurethane bushings and have the old ones pressed from the original arms at a fraction of the cost though.

you know i was wondering if you could do that and i guess you can now that you mention it but they dont sell factory bushings so the aftermarket urethane ones are your only way plus they make the steering more precise but your ride becomes a tad more harsh :lol: i guess im going to have to get a press now :P

Thanks ya'll, I was hoping the noise would be nothing, but I guess I'll go and get them checked out. I just have one more quick question, I'm takin my SC300 on an 8 hr. road trip this Saturday, and in case my brakes can't get fixed before then, she should be okay right- I mean her brakes won't give out or anytbing. She's handled the problem for a year so a long drive shouldn't bother her, am I right? Thanks

I went to get my brakes checked out today and the front and rear bushings were okay, but my brakes were practically shot. It's going to cost me $120 for each the front and back brakes. But I'd rather pay $240 than pay for it with my life- which could have happened if ya'll hadn't told me that something was wrong and I needed to get it checked out-Thank ya'll sooo much!!

Does anyone know where I can buy the aftermarket polyurethane control arm bushings? I have found some manufacturers, but nobdy seems to have them for Lexus. Are they universal? Is there another car with a similar suspension?