Rx300 Transmission

bozilla

I have a FWD 2002 FWD RX300 which was purchased new and currently has 47,000 miles. When starting out in the morning the transmission does not upshift until above 2000 RPM's. This happens ever morning. Once the transmission upshifts, it shifts normally. I've taken it back to the Lexus dealer and he cannot duplicate the problem.

The fluid has been changed twice, and the fluid is bright red.

Is the start of transmission problems or is this normal for a Lexus.

I have a FWD 2002 FWD RX300 which was purchased new and currently has 47,000 miles.  When starting out in the morning the transmission does not upshift until above 2000 RPM's.  This happens ever morning.  Once the transmission upshifts, it shifts normally.  I've taken it back to the Lexus dealer and he cannot duplicate the problem.

The fluid has been changed twice, and the fluid is bright red.

Is the start of transmission problems or is this normal for a Lexus.

I don't know for certain if it is normal. As a data point, my 99 FWD will stay in lower gear on cold days for about 5 miles or so. I've always figured it was a cold issue and will shift when temp warms after running for a bit. I've learned to just take it easy on a cold morning. I've got 109k and knock on fake interior wood panel, no tranny issues yet.

FYI.

My 99 RX does that also, it has been covered in the forums many times, the car has been set to not shift when cold until the engine and tranny are warmed up. It is annoying but normal as I have seen on this site many times.

ALL Toyotas hold the transmission from going into overdrive until the coolant warms up. My '91 Previa does the same thing.

My 99 RX does that also, it has been covered in the forums many times, the car has been set to not shift when cold until the engine and tranny are warmed up.  It is annoying but normal as I have seen on this site many times.