Tire Pressure Recommendations

If a tire is rated at 44PSI Max, then how much pressure should I put in? Thanks in advance.

The recommended pressure should be on a plate or sticker inside one of the doors or inside the glove box. That 55PSI Max, is just what it says. It's the maximum pressure you can safely put in the tire, but should only be used for carrying the maximum load for an extended time, at highway speeds. It's the pressure at which the max load printed on the tire is determined.

For most cars and most tires today, 34 PSI is a good general rule.

If a tire is rated at 44PSI Max, then how much pressure should I put in? Thanks in advance.

The recommended pressure should be on a plate or sticker inside one of the doors or inside the glove box. That 55PSI Max, is just what it says. It's the maximum pressure you can safely put in the tire, but should only be used for carrying the maximum load for an extended time, at highway speeds. It's the pressure at which the max load printed on the tire is determined.

I agree but, as I have stated in the past, how does the sticker know what size tires you are running? The sticker is for stock tire sizes. What if you put vet tires on or bling bling ones with low profiles?????

I agree but, as I have stated in the past, how does the sticker know what size tires you are running? The sticker is for stock tire sizes. What if you put vet tires on or bling bling ones with low profiles?????

That would be a horse of a different color. :rolleyes: That's why I said "most cars and most tires." I'm sure one could consult with the tire company and/or find a chart of tire size vs car weight, and come up with a good place to start and then fine tune based on ride, handling, and possibly wear.

Info in this article should be of some help.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0208scc_tires/

I have asked this question already and the answer is go around 4-6 lbs below maxx and see how it rides and adjust accordingly. 5lbs below is what i would suggest myself.

That would be a horse of a different color. :rolleyes: That's why I said "most cars and most tires." I'm sure one could consult with the tire company and/or find a chart of tire size vs car weight, and come up with a good place to start and then fine tune based on ride, handling, and possibly wear.

Info in this article should be of some help.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0208scc_tires/

"For most cars and most tires today, 34 PSI is a good general rule."

34PSI, is that on a cold tire? Thanks.

His question is regards to an oversised tire not the oem size guys. So if whatever your maxx is I would run 4-6 lbs below that and feel the ride it should be pretty good . I asked this question myself awhile ago.... good luck. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

If the tire says 44psi you should put in 44psi, unless you are off roading in sand with big tires then let out 50%, If you are carrying alot of weight in the car, or you and your family are seriously obese, you should probably inflate to 34psi, so you don't blow the tires apart. If you drag racing and you want better traction you should take out 30% of the air in the rear tires, or 25 psi. If you want to save gas and fly on the freeway and around corners inflate to 48psi, but that is not recommended. Got all that, and I am not even a tire expert, but lots of experience.

If the tire says 44psi you should put in 44psi, unless you are off roading in sand with big tires then let out 50%, If you are carrying alot of weight in the car, or you and your family are seriously obese, you should probably inflate to 34psi, so you don't blow the tires apart. If you drag racing and you want better traction you should take out 30% of the air in the rear tires, or 25 psi. If you want to save gas and fly on the freeway and around corners inflate to 48psi, but that is not recommended. Got all that, and I am not even a tire expert, but lots of experience.

Last time I exceeded a tad past max pressure, I ended up with separated tread/belts (tires were now useless trash). Setting 48 psi on a 44psi max-rated tire & flying on the freeway is just asking for trouble. In other words, youre greatly increasing the risk of blowing out a tire(s). -and when that happens during a high speed cruise on the freeway, your life will be in a world of !Removed!.

I just wanted a little info on the range of psi I should set my tires to because I know the pressure on a 'cold' tire differs from that of a tire on a hot day or tires that have just been driven on. I know for one thing that setting 44 psi on a 44psi max-rated tire on 'cold' tires is not recommended because when the tire starts to heat up, the pressure will eventually go up past 44psi, exceeding the max-rated psi. That's a no-no!

That is why I said it is not recommended, if your running on Z-rated goodyears you could try it, but if you are running on Futura's then you better write your will. I do not know the difference between hot and cold psi however it does makes sense. I know from my nos bottle in the trunk when the heat increases so does the pressure. Live and learn, as I said I am not a tire expert, not even close. I know I got a nail in my rear tire that has a very slow leak and I am too lazy to fix it, I just keep filling air in it every month. Maybe I should fix, I hate when you pick up those nails or srews driving down an alley, then you need a plug in the tire at a tire shop, re-balance man what a pain. See ya