Does 1992 Sc400 Have Interference Engine?

Evans92

I am concerned that the engine may be severely damaged if the timing belt goes out on my 1992 SC400. I think some posts indicate this is a problem for later SC's, but want to be sure I am not facing serious problems if I delay replacing the timing belt (water pump, etc., etc.) for a couple of months.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

There was no damage when the timing belt on my 90 LS broke at about 80K miles. There seems to be disagreement on when the interference engines were first used. As far as I know, the first model year was 98 for the Lexus V8.

Early V8 cars like mine had their timing belts trashed by a failed water pump. My failed waterpump was replaced by an "improved" version that was to supposed to have a longer life.

Repair shops and Lexus dealers make a lot of money by scaring owners into replacing timing belts at low mileages on the early V8 cars.

No, the 4.0L is a non-interference motor you wont slap any valves. What will happen is the motor will just come to a stop and you wont be able to get it running again.

If you have it replaced you might as well replace all the parts inside the timing belt cover, such as the water pump, belt tensioner, and the oil seals that are in there. This could prevent you from having to pay the same labor twice if there is another problem down the road.

I have been looking in to this on my 95 sc400, Lexus wants 1100 to replace everything inside the cover.

I spoke with a "Certified Lexus Mechanic" and he stated that in my 95 sc 400 its a non interference motor. If it went it would just stop and wont restart. So, what is your source on this, I searched all data and I couldn’t find anything stating that the motor is an interference motor?

I believe that the 98' V8's and up are interference engines...That is when Lexus bumped the hp to 290 with VVTI...which therefore made them an interference engine...

To my knowledge the V8's from 97' to 92' were non-interference engines...

• 3 weeks later...

all of you guys are right. i just bought a 1992 with 139000 miles and it broke on me (timing belt) just died, had it towed and every thing is like new no problems. the dealer said it was a 50/50 chance that i bent the valves. I just told them to replace everything, seals, both tensioners, water pump ,timing belt and contacts for starter. they were surprised when it started and ran fine. This was a toyota dealership in tx. the technician that worked on it was good though. all the other techs were scared to work on it. i would have done the work myself but i am working 70 hours a week in houston space center soooooooo..... wasnt up to the task.