Engine Air Filter Replacement

viclykewhoa

How often should the GS300's engine air filter be replaced? I have a '99 GS300 and I called Lexus of Bayridge and was told every 5000 miles. That, however, seems a bit absurd. Let me know. Thanks.

Also, could a dirty engine air filter cause low idle and the check engine light to come on?

A dirty air filter should be checked every 5000 miles and replaced as needed , which is when ever you hold it up to a light and see none come through.

A clogged air filter can do many thing but a CEl is unlikely.

You should check it your self.

In normal driving conditions, I go by 1 year or 12,000 miles.......if you don't have alot of dusty conditions that is......if you do, more frequently........details are given in your owners manual.....if you don't have one, contact Lexus directly as I think they will send you one free. B)

:cheers:

• 3 months later...

In normal driving conditions, I go by 1 year or 12,000 miles.......if you don't have alot of dusty conditions that is......if you do, more frequently........details are given in your owners manual.....if you don't have one, contact Lexus directly as I think they will send you one free. B)

:cheers:

There is a gs owners manual stickied on top of the gs forums. It is for a 98 but no difference.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=25931

Air filters are fairly inexpensive and should be replaced, as mentioned, every 10-15k miles...usually. If you live on a dirt road you might need it changed with every oil change (5000 miles).

hey LSW, you are replying to a thread that has been inactive for 4 months. You are new to the club so I just though I would let you know we call that "bringing back the dead".

On the other hand, Welcome to LOC.

steviej

• 4 weeks later...

Air filters are fairly inexpensive and should be replaced, as mentioned, every 10-15k miles...usually. If you live on a dirt road you might need it changed with every oil change (5000 miles).

hey LSW, you are replying to a thread that has been inactive for 4 months. You are new to the club so I just though I would let you know we call that "bringing back the dead".

On the other hand, Welcome to LOC.

steviej

I apologize. It will never happen again. :P