Synthetic Motor Oil

I know this post has been probably beat to near death in past threads, so that's why i'm not writing to ask for info, just to find out how many of you all use the product.

I've been looking into Amsoil for a number of months now off and on. I've been using Mobil 1 faithfully since getting my '93SC4 a little over a year ago. But the $60 oil changes every 5k are'nt my idea of fun - seeing as how I easily rack up 23k to 25k a year.

Amsoil's on-line product look-up matched up several of their oils to the SC4, and one of them was the Series 2000 0w30. They say this oil can go 35,000mi (in a stock passenger car engine) without an oil change - just change the filter every 12,500mi. Sounds good to me. At $103.80 per case ($8.65/qt) that's still a good deal + the cost of the Amsoil filters. Considering you get no less than two years worth of driving out of one case. And if you change the oil yourself you save even more $$$.

So is anybody out there using this stuff? If so, which grade are you using? I'm considering switching starting with my next oil change.

btw: here's the link to the on-line product match-up https://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Hey bud , my opinion you are using a great product and there is no way i could ever beleive that changing any oil at 35,000 mile intervals. If your looking for an easy way out for time and money sorry I dont have one, but try amsoil if you like just keep us posted. Personaly I wouldnt change.. :cheers:

I know this post has been probably beat to near death in past threads, so that's why i'm not writing to ask for info, just to find out how many of you all use the product.

I've been looking into Amsoil for a number of months now off and on.  I've been using Mobil 1 faithfully since getting my '93SC4 a little over a year ago.  But the $60 oil changes every 5k are'nt my idea of fun - seeing as how I easily rack up 23k to 25k a year.

Amsoil's on-line product look-up matched up several of their oils to the SC4, and one of them was the Series 2000 0w30.  They say this oil can go 35,000mi (in a stock passenger car engine) without an oil change - just change the filter every 12,500mi.  Sounds good to me.  At $103.80 per case ($8.65/qt) that's still a good deal + the cost of the Amsoil filters.  Considering you get no less than two years worth of driving out of one case.  And if you change the oil yourself you save even more $$$.

So is anybody out there using this stuff?  If so, which grade are you using?  I'm considering switching starting with my next oil change. 

btw: here's the link to the on-line product match-up  https://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

been using amsoil for years and it works. I am doing longer drains also. But do a search since I have posted on this product may many times. I know many people that are doing well over 20K drains and the oil tests fine!

But as of 11-1-2005. The new oil filters (eA) are good for 25K miles or 1-years. The old SDF filters were 6 months or 12K miles; but many go longer on the SDF and they are fine. The SDF oil filters will not be around much longer since they stopped making them. All new filters will be the 25K ones once the sdf oil filters run out.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking into Amsoil for a number of months now off and on. I've been using Mobil 1 faithfully since getting my '93SC4 a little over a year ago. But the $60 oil changes every 5k are'nt my idea of fun - seeing as how I easily rack up 23k to 25k a year.

Amsoil's on-line product look-up matched up several of their oils to the SC4, and one of them was the Series 2000 0w30. They say this oil can go 35,000mi (in a stock passenger car engine) without an oil change - just change the filter every 12,500mi. Sounds good to me. At $103.80 per case ($8.65/qt) that's still a good deal + the cost of the Amsoil filters. Considering you get no less than two years worth of driving out of one case. And if you change the oil yourself you save even more $$$.

So is anybody out there using this stuff? If so, which grade are you using? I'm considering switching starting with my next oil change.

btw: here's the link to the on-line product match-up https://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

been using amsoil for years and it works. I am doing longer drains also. But do a search since I have posted on this product may many times. I know many people that are doing well over 20K drains and the oil tests fine!

But as of 11-1-2005. The new oil filters (eA) are good for 25K miles or 1-years. The old SDF filters were 6 months or 12K miles; but many go longer on the SDF and they are fine. The SDF oil filters will not be around much longer since they stopped making them. All new filters will be the 25K ones once the sdf oil filters run out.

The trick with any long drain interval oils is the replacment fo the additives. Most syn. oils will go 50 K

miles IF you could replace the additives. The base oil stock is very long lasting. The PROPER way to do long drain is to use the Amsoil oil analysis service. It's about $30-$40 for an analysis. Mine is in Oakland, CA and great with questions. I learned over the years that I can easily go 10K on Mobile 1 w/o a filter change, and 25K on Amsoil with filter change. HOWEVER, the cost of Amsoil is greater. So I use Mobile 1 (red cap only: gotten on sale) and loose 10K change interval along with a WIX filter.

But again the real answer is oil analysis.

Regards

The trick with any long drain interval oils is the replacment fo the additives. Most syn. oils will go 50 K

miles IF you could replace the additives. The base oil stock is very long lasting. The PROPER way to do long drain is to use the Amsoil oil analysis service. It's about $30-$40 for an analysis. Mine is in Oakland, CA and great with questions. I learned over the years that I can easily go 10K on Mobile 1 w/o a filter change, and 25K on Amsoil with filter change. HOWEVER, the cost of Amsoil is greater. So I use Mobile 1 (red cap only: gotten on sale) and loose 10K change interval along with a WIX filter.

But again the real answer is oil analysis.

Regards

I agree but it depends on what oil is used. Not saying Mobil is bad or anything but comparing oil tests of un-used, mobil has less of what I want. If I did not use Amsoil and could not get Redline or a few others I would use it. I just dislike there way they do business (customer service wise, the way they push there product for round #2, etc)

And yes some sythetics can go up to 50K and even longer but what people forget is not the adds, but the filters. If you have a by-pass you can go for years and hundreds of thousands on miles on (1) oil change; as truckers have done for years. BUT the by-pass filters are not cheap and they do add up. Then again if your oil tests keep coming back on a lexus (for example) you can keep going. BUT the oils tests sooner or later will exceed the cost of new oil and filters. SO you have to pick a point to drain etc. I like it for more then just seeing how good the oil is. I like it to monitor how the engine is doing and see what trends I have.

I pay $18 for Amsoil testing. The flaw with Amsoil was you had to change the filters at 12K per Amsoil. It was a good thing since it was good to add a new filter and top-off with new oil. Now with Amsoil (donaldon) Ea filters, that is no more. You can go up to 25K on (1) filter; but price is like $12 to 15 each. I only pay $58 for a case of Amosil 5w-30. But I use there Series 3000 5w-30 in my Kubota tractor so I am going to try it in my ES.

Wix filters are good (as I noted for a few years). I get them at wholesale prices (around $2.50 each) so I am going to try for some miles and test. In fact I just bought 18 filters (and 2 air filters) for all my engines (cars, bike, tractor etc) for $60.

the $60 oil changes every 5k are'nt my idea of fun - seeing as how I easily rack up 23k to 25k a year.

You could go back to conventional oil and save 75% on your 5,000 mile oil changes and your engine will still be well protected. A large majority of the Toyota owners I know that drove over 400,000 miles without an engine overhaul used conventional oil. Consumer Reports engine tear down testing comparing taxi cab engines run on conventional vs. synthetic oil for 6,000 miles showed no difference in wear rates. This is probably why none of the major oil companies (Chevron, Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, etc) claim synthetic extends engine life (although offbrands like Amsoil, Neo, Royal Purple, Redline, etc. might make sensational claims like that as is typical for offbrand products)

the $60 oil changes every 5k are'nt my idea of fun - seeing as how I easily rack up 23k to 25k a year.

You could go back to conventional oil and save 75% on your 5,000 mile oil changes and your engine will still be well protected. A large majority of the Toyota owners I know that drove over 400,000 miles without an engine overhaul used conventional oil. Consumer Reports engine tear down testing comparing taxi cab engines run on conventional vs. synthetic oil for 6,000 miles showed no difference in wear rates. This is probably why none of the major oil companies (Chevron, Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, etc) claim synthetic extends engine life (although offbrands like Amsoil, Neo, Royal Purple, Redline, etc. might make sensational claims like that as is typical for offbrand products)

So you know that many 400,000 mile people? WOW, I am lucky if I know 3 and the rest are all 18 wheeler people (truckers).

The Consumer Reports (CS) one is a total JOKE. Never mind the age but what oils where tested? It was based on taxi people. That is not even the worst conditions for oils. Starting and stopping is bad and then in cold with these is the worst.

Did CS post the wear numbers? If so what where the start and the finish #'s?

I do not think ANY manufacture of the oil states "synthetic extends engine life". They state lower wear numbers, better all around. Do you even test your oil to see if you are right or wrong????????????????????

I posted on this forum a ES300 with dino and one with synthetic. Lets say your dino lost BIGTIME!!!!

So you know that many 400,000 mile people? WOW, I am lucky if I know 3 and the rest are all 18 wheeler people (truckers).

The Consumer Reports (CS) one is a total JOKE. Never mind the age but what oils where tested? It was based on taxi people. That is not even the worst conditions for oils. Starting and stopping is bad and then in cold with these is the worst.

Did CS post the wear numbers? If so what where the start and the finish #'s?

I do not think ANY manufacture of the oil states "synthetic extends engine life". They state lower wear numbers, better all around. Do you even test your oil to see if you are right or wrong????????????????????

I posted on this forum a ES300 with dino and one with synthetic. Lets say your dino lost BIGTIME!!!!

I couldn't help but to notice yet another thread on oil, I can't beleive you guys are responding to this. This topic has been beat to death over and over. :chairshot:

I couldn't help but to notice yet another thread on oil, I can't beleive you guys are responding to this. This topic has been beat to death over and over.:chairshot:

Just repling in a "short form".... :D :cheers:

:wacko: :D :cheers::blink: