My 95 Ls Is Faster Than My 98ls...

highlander

and by a long shot... i raced a camry today and noticed that where i did 142mph on the same straight away with my 95 i did 128 with the 98 :(

i thought this one should have been quite faster than my 95...

any thoughts?

my Ltrims are dead spot.... they are +- 1%.

things look right... but the car lacks power... car has 127k miles and my 95 has 143k....

No codes, car is smooth as silk.... no problems what so ever....

I noticed today that while going down heal the car shifter into 4th gear and would not shift to 5th.. i had to put it in neutral for a sec and put it back in drive for it to go back to 5th.... is this a sign of a bad computer?

Seems to me like if you did 148 on the island you would overshoot the runway and end up wet. These cars are not meant for racing, especially a Camry :wacko: . The ECU is an adaptable system and maybe your wife drives the 98. It probably went into shock. Anyways, "off" the pedal and "into" the leather and you and your fine cars will last a lot longer. IMHO

the adaptability of the system is on ltrims and maybe some shift modes... At least on the corvette pcm which is a far better pcm there is no timing adaptation due to timing conditions....

i may be wrong about these pcms, but still.. the 98 should be a lot faster than the 95.. by a CONSIDERABLE margin... first its 30hp more.. its lighter and has an A5.

Even then...

the car was on D... does it make a difference on what gear it is? as per the manual... its the same thing...

temp was 80F outside...

and it was NOT on power mode... power mode only changes the shift points when on part throttle (if not mistaken which probably am, but i have not found any noticeable differences in power output between modes)

Seems to me like if you did 148 on the island you would overshoot the runway and end up wet. These cars are not meant for racing, especially a Camry :wacko: . The ECU is an adaptable system and maybe your wife drives the 98. It probably went into shock. Anyways, "off" the pedal and "into" the leather and you and your fine cars will last a lot longer. IMHO

I have done 169 on my camaro and 182 on a gsxr1000. so what is your point on overshooting the runway and ending up wet?

In order to extract the full power ni 98 and newer cars you have to have it in power mode vsc off and atleast out of D if not 1st.

Once those are set the LS will light up compared to the earlier 95 engine which is slower but not drive by wire controlling the throttle and wheel slip.

He might've had the gated shifter clicked over into the 4 position instead of the D? On the LS with the gated shifter the 4 is equivalent to O/D Off of other Toyota/Lexus models.

797933_48.jpg

I don't know if he had it in PWR or TRAC Off, but don't see how a system that controls initial wheelspin would affect the top speed of a car, negatively or positively.

The controls are completely controlled by the ecu , the only way to turn off the o/d is by using 4 which shuts off the fifth gear and o/d lock up.

There is a huge difference by using power mode and turning off the trac/vsc . It is like gaining 100 hp easy as the ecu maps to a limited amount of wheel spin which is programmed to not let the car accelerate as fast as it can.

He might've had the gated shifter clicked over into the 4 position instead of the D?  On the LS with the gated shifter the 4 is equivalent to O/D Off of other Toyota/Lexus models.

797933_48.jpg

I don't know if he had it in PWR or TRAC Off, but don't see how a system that controls initial wheelspin would affect the top speed of a car, negatively or positively.

That's actually incorrect.

The gear before the last gear (in this case gear 4) is ALWAYS "drive" = 1:1 engine/transmission ratio. In a 4-gear O/D tranny, gear 3 is 1:1.

Gear 5 here is overdrive in which case the engine is at around 0.75:1. Being in gear 4 would lower the top speed drastically. It would even be near 140mph in gear 4.

He might've had the gated shifter clicked over into the 4 position instead of the D?  On the LS with the gated shifter the 4 is equivalent to O/D Off of other Toyota/Lexus models.

797933_48.jpg

That's actually incorrect.

The gear before the last gear (in this case gear 4) is ALWAYS "drive" = 1:1 engine/transmission ratio. In a 4-gear O/D tranny, gear 3 is 1:1.

Gear 5 here is overdrive in which case the engine is at around 0.75:1. Being in gear 4 would lower the top speed drastically. It would even be near 140mph in gear 4.

i think you are incorrect... if i am at 100% throttle... the engine will shift according to its tables... i was never in 5th gear... this car lacks power.... i tried it using vsc off and i tried it using the trans in 4th.... same crap...

now... if i have to put the vsc off to run the car hard its totally DUMB and STUPID as that is the most probable something may go wrong and the system should be there to help me. Although i have never ever needed it... its a plus to have it... I am still fond of the US way to do it as with the corvette the trac system will elt you go 100%. only time the system pulls back when there is no wheel spin is for torque management which i can all edit :D

and after i got up this morning... it looked like it was in pwr mode....

im begining to think that the best option i have is to slot in an ls6 in that engine bay and then i will have a real engine. more power.. more torque... and MORE FUEL EFFICENT!... no timing belts to change.........

If you have no power and low fuel economy then you have something wrong with your car.

Mine is great on gas and has lots of power although it does change the curves over time.A great increase can be gained by cleaning your maf sensor as well if you have carbon build up ,well then without proper maintenance the car will be slow and have bad mileage but it has nothing to do with the car or its engineering just the owner and servicing it.

I did a spark plug change today... air filter is dirty.. i removed it just for testing... i did beat a bolt on rsx today in every aspect... he was close till 60 though... even still i thought the car was supposed to have more power. or more feel to power.... better ratios ... etc.... when i talk about low fuel economy i mean that if you push the accelerator just a tad... th engine will consume a lot... i did on the trip yesterday on open road around 25mpg.... that was with cruise control....

i dont feel i am having a maf problem as my ltrims are dead nuts where they should be. i will scan the engine to see that my throttle blade is opening up to 100%

What I meant to say was that if the car was in "4", you would be driving in the equivalent of overdrive off (O/D Off as it appears on the dashboard). Having said this, I see that he never put the car in D:

i was never in 5th gear... this car lacks power.... i tried it using vsc off and i tried it using the trans in 4th.... same crap...

Isn't he going to top out sooner (aka lower speed) if he's driving in only "4" and not using that last gear ratio?

The maf gets dirty and provides a much improved response time once cleaned. It will still give acceptable readings to the ecu but by having the filament covered in dirt it will make its reaction time slower thus reducing the engine output from increasing as fast as it should or can be.

I have been idling my car alot lately and today the overall power output was decreased quite a bit.

So i will be cleaning my maf and seafoaming it again to remove the carbon i have built back in the system from granny driving it.

I think theres something seriously wrong with your car. However, the method you used to calculate which is faster is somewhat questionable. You need a G-tech, or something a big more reliable then location. Because you have noted a HUGE, HUGE difference between the two cars if your calculations are correct.

What I meant to say was that if the car was in "4", you would be driving in the equivalent of overdrive off (O/D Off as it appears on the dashboard).  Having said this, I see that he never put the car in D:

i was never in 5th gear... this car lacks power.... i tried it using vsc off and i tried it using the trans in 4th.... same crap...

Isn't he going to top out sooner (aka lower speed) if he's driving in only "4" and not using that last gear ratio?

The car would top out sooner because in gear 4, the driveshaft can only spin as fast as the engine as it is a 1:1 ratio.

In gear 5 (O/D), the ratio is lower (0.75:1) so the driveshaft spins faster than the engine does.

And even with using 4th over 5th you would not even reach the top of the gear under full throttle until lets say 140mph and if you are then you would be going for a top land speed record so you would not be going for acceleration and would leave it in D .

So the top speed is not relevant to this now is it?

I think theres something seriously wrong with your car.  However, the method you used to calculate which is faster is somewhat questionable.  You need a G-tech, or something a big more reliable then location.  Because you have noted a HUGE, HUGE difference between the two cars if your calculations are correct.

yes.... i know... there is a 13mph difference more or less on what i expected.... i could be measuring it incorrectly or soemthing.. maybe i have clogged cats which doesn't look like it... the car runs strong, but so did the other one and i expected this one to run a lot stronger.. today i installed an oem toyota air filter and last night iridium plugs... so we will see... i did notice the inside of the intake manifold (after the throttle body) was very very dirty black... means this cars have a lot of reversion or something... i will try and clean it via engine on methods or remove it and clean it up. we will see... i need to measure up a more or less 60-100mph time to compare... my old car did via stopwatch 9.6s... and its just an estimate... but both estimates can be used to compare.... i would expect this ls to do around 9.2 or so...

in the end.. the specs dont lie

6.4 vs 7.1 ( i do notice out of the hole the 98 is way faster)

with a 1/4 mile times of 14.8 vs 15.1 (not that much difference, which means the 95 is catching up).

And even with using 4th over 5th you would not even reach the top of the gear under full throttle until lets say 140mph and if you are  then you would be going for a top land speed record so you would not be going for acceleration and would leave it in D .

So the top speed is not relevant to this now is it?

nope no it isn't. all im saying is speed attained in the same space as previous tests done with the 95.

OK, so there's a problem with the acceleration from a stop, or at low speeds?

The decision whether to use 4 or D would make a difference when accelerating from 100 MPH, and if in 4 the revs would be higher creating quicker acceleration than if it was in D and the car had to downshift from 5th. Is that right? It's most likely not the problem trying to be solved at hand, but he did say that he wasn't going as fast (racing the Camry part) as he used to in an older LS.

DO a simple test to confirm this for yourself.

Go around your block in drive with lots of stop and go driving and WOT.

Then do it in first compare the "G" forces you feel or lack of in each.

Make sure you turn off trac and have the pwr mode on or the throttle and tranny will respond slowly.