Bad News From Mech. During 90k Service

widowmaker03

While getting my 90K service done the mechanic gave me some bad news.

In a previous post, I mentioned a buzzing type sound from my right rear tire area. That turns out to be a broken tire rod.

A vibration that I beloved was an alignment issue turns out to be bad motor mounts. The car picked up a vibration at about 1500 rpm and continued to get a little more notable until about 2500 rpm.

Finally, the water pump was starting to show signs of sipping; however, I was getting that replaced anyway.

The first two issues I'm a little ticked off with because the previous owner had the 125 point service inspection done and these items where not discovered.

I guess Monday I find out the additional cost beyond the $1200.

Oh well, I guess that's the cost to be the boss. :(

While getting my 90K service done the mechanic gave me some bad news. 

A vibration that I beloved was an alignment issue turns out to be bad motor mounts.  The car picked up a vibration at about 1500 rpm and continued to get a little more notable until about 2500 rpm.

Sorry to hear that Widowmaker, is this mechanic an independant or Lexus? What was there diagnosis technique? I suspect my motor mounts are bad too so will be interested if your vibration is cured, but I also believe mine could be ignition related. My vibration is really bad around 1800rpm, which is apparently where the ECU adjusts the advance curve to be just under the knocking point.

Also I always like to mark my parts with a punch mark or similar and always ask to see the stuff they removed, just to see if the mark is there. A great way to test the honesty of your mechanics on non obvious parts.

Good luck!

Widow, sorry to hear that man, but in all honesty I'm not that suprised. The motor mounts are soft rubber, which make the engine soooo quiet inside the cabin, but they get mushed down over time. I can easily see where you're upset to find an additional cost tacked on, I also recommend you tell the dealer to not replace the mounts "buy them online and take to an indi". But either way.....you're mad about it now, but when you turn the key that first time with the new ones in.....well....you'll look like this: :o :lol: :D :rolleyes:

Ok, here is the latest update…..

I visited the Lexus of San Antonio Dealership today and went through all the issues with my car.

The number one issue was a right front tie rod. The tie rod was separated about an inch to 1 ½ inches. This was really the only problem that had me concerned because the vehicle was inspected before I bought it. The vibration that I described ealier coming from my right rear was actually a piece of aluminum to protect exhaust was bent and touching the exhaust.

The number two issue was motor/trans mounts. I had one motor mount that was bad and the other was close. So, I had all three replaced.

The other issues were water pump was starting to leak and drive belt was starting to crack. I had both replaced.

Finally, my right low beam head light operated intermittently during start up.

????What is this??? Do all dealership's do this? I could save some money on shipping if this is the case.

I forgot that the dealership honored competitor’s online prices.

Car's home :)

NC211, you are right after spending $2216 she drives so much better and I already thought she was running smooth. Also, North Park Lexus of San Antonio did match all online prices on all parts. I just had to bring in proof of those prices.

90LS400Lexus, not really upset with leaky water pump and cracked drive belts. I was replacing them anyway.

I can't stress enough for you guys who haven't had your car checked in a while to have a qualified mechanic check your steering and wheels. The mechanic told me the tie rod came apart as he was trying to replace it. I have both pieces.

As some of you know, I split the cost with the previous owner on a 125 point service inspection before I bought the car. The mechanic at that dealership did not spot the bad tie rod. I'm not sure if I wish to pursue it any further.

Widow, although the mechanic who did the inspection missed the tie rod, some of these parts won't show their true flaws until removed. I wouldn't push the issue, besides, you might need them one day like me for the wobble problem. Glad you're enjoying the new ride! Those mounts make all the difference in the world on these cars. In my opinion, they're the three most crucial parts to replace in terms of smoothness and quiet operation of the car "and good tires of course". Now, promise me no more $2,200 trips to the dealership unless absolutely necessary B) . We'll take it from here :cheers:

Widow, one more thought....when they did the water pump and timing belt, did they do the fluids too? Was is it a normal 90k service? I'm curious how much they charged you for that service alone. If it's what I think it was "$1,300 +/-", then I would think that would fall under the full-on 90k with fluids flushed and so forth. If they didn't do the fluids, yet charged you the same, then I would call and ask why, and if they will flush them for you, since you probably paid for it anyway.

nc211,

They replaced all of the 90k service recommended fluids, plugs, filters, and gaskets. In addition, they lubed the vehicle.

Hey, should I scan my invoice and post for other users? Page one of my invoice is the normal parts and labor for 90k service. Page two includes parts and labor for water pump (no labor), V-belt (no labor), tie rod, alignment, and motor mounts. Page three is just the miscellaneous parts for cabin filter, marker bulb, and an o-ring.