Just Bought A 2006 Es330

Xtreme

Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first Lexus. I bought a loaded 2006 ES330 with Navigation, Chrome wheels, etc... I have been looking at a number of different vehicles for a while now and really wanted a Mercedes but, my wife (even though this is not her car) really loves the ES, so I bought the ES. Did I make a good choice? I have been reading several posts about the transmission hesitation in previous model years - does anyone know if they were addressed in the '06? Anyone know anything about teflon coating the paint? Sorry if these questions are covered somewhere else, if they are, I didn't see them.

Hello everyone.  I am new here and this is my first Lexus.  I bought a loaded 2006 ES330 with Navigation, Chrome wheels, etc...  I have been looking at a number of different vehicles for a while now and really wanted a Mercedes but, my wife (even though this is not her car) really loves the ES, so I bought the ES.  Did I make a good choice?  I have been reading several posts about the transmission hesitation in previous model years - does anyone know if they were addressed in the '06?  Anyone know anything about teflon coating the paint?  Sorry if these questions are covered somewhere else, if they are, I didn't see them.

I own a 94, and took it in to the dealer for service a while back. They gave me a 2004 model ES300 as a loaner. I had two problems with it. One, it was not as powerful as my 94, but I understand they fixed that in the 330 model (larger motor). The second problem I had was that it had less visibility (more blind spots). In general I felt it had less visibility than the average sedan. I felt nervous about parking it in tight spots because I wasnt sure how close I was getting. I didnt get that feeling from my car. I am used to sports cars that are low to the ground, but these days it seems that all sedans are raising the cars up for better visibility while driving. I don't agree with that, but I personally enjoy sitting lower, with a lower center of gravity. Better performance :D . I was actually impressed with its ride and handling despite its center of gravity. I wonder how well it would corner had they lowered it a little. It is a nice car over all.

You haven't seen transmission hesitation until you've driven a 94-2003 Mustang. Those things had at least a 2 second delay before the power started to kick in. Same goes for the BMW Z4. That thing (for a performance roadster) is VERY laggy in first gear. I always prefer stick, but my luck lately is that there are VERY few used cars these days that are stick, and are hard to find. My best deals have all been automatics. <_<

Well we'd all like to have a new ES & you're bound to have gotten a great deal on it with the impending new platform.

Only you can say if you made the right choice. It doesn't really matter what anyone else things.

It's impossible to put teflon on paint. Despite what anyone says, to bond teflon to a surface requires several hundred *F at some point.

Give the paint a month, clean it several times with dish washing soap to strip any wax from the paint & put on one of the bras made out of clear plastic film. 3M makes one & another company makes a good one too (Sorry I forget the name).

Well we'd all like to have a new ES & you're bound to have gotten a great deal on it with the impending new platform.

Only you can say if you made the right choice. It doesn't really matter what anyone else things.

It's impossible to put teflon on paint. Despite what anyone says, to bond teflon to a surface requires several hundred *F at some point.

Give the paint a month, clean it several times with dish washing soap to strip any wax from the paint & put on one of the bras made out of clear plastic film. 3M makes one & another company makes a good one too (Sorry I forget the name).

Toysrme

Can you give further details about on the new platform vs good deal?

thanks

Hello everyone.  I am new here and this is my first Lexus.  I bought a loaded 2006 ES330 with Navigation, Chrome wheels, etc...  I have been looking at a number of different vehicles for a while now and really wanted a Mercedes but, my wife (even though this is not her car) really loves the ES, so I bought the ES.  Did I make a good choice?  I have been reading several posts about the transmission hesitation in previous model years - does anyone know if they were addressed in the '06?  Anyone know anything about teflon coating the paint?  Sorry if these questions are covered somewhere else, if they are, I didn't see them.

If your wife's happy, then you made a good deal.

The ES is a great car other than the crappy shifting problem (and it does apply to 2006 models). In many ways, it's far superior to the Mercedes or BMW you can buy at the same price level. Many people never experience the problem (particularly people who don't drive aggressively), so it may never be an issue for you. Also, the latest firmware upgrade helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem. Eventually, they might get it completely fixed, but a lot of people will be happy with it now.

As for the paint, my recommendation is not to mess around with third party 'upgrades', either internal or external. There are very, very few that really add any value, so why waste your money? With proper normal care, your car should last indefinitely, so why spend money on something that won't help and might hurt?

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase.

Congrats on the new ES330. I bought my wife an 05 last Thanksgiving and it now has 14K miles on it. I also considered the Mercedes (Jag, Acura, BMW, and another Volvo) but I found that the fit and finish or the ride of the ES330 superior to the other premium cars. The ES is a comfortable, good-handling car that will provide dependable service.

My biggest complaint is the stock tires that come on the car. The "problems" with the hesitating transmission has not been an issue with my ES. I also do not push the envelope with this car performance wise. When I have pushed it, it has responded.

Enjoy!

Hello everyone.  I am new here and this is my first Lexus.  I bought a loaded 2006 ES330 with Navigation, Chrome wheels, etc...  I have been looking at a number of different vehicles for a while now and really wanted a Mercedes but, my wife (even though this is not her car) really loves the ES, so I bought the ES.   Did I make a good choice?  I have been reading several posts about the transmission hesitation in previous model years - does anyone know if they were addressed in the '06?  Anyone know anything about teflon coating the paint?  Sorry if these questions are covered somewhere else, if they are, I didn't see them.

Congrats on your purchase.......awesome ride & welcome to the club! B) Just curious if you had any other cars on your short list other than the ES? (New Avalon, TL, upcoming redesigned 2007 ES, etc).

:cheers:

I've had mine for almost 3 years now and almost 60,000 miles and I've been very happy. The transmission does have a hesitation, but if it were going to bother you it would be bothering you already. As for visibility, I don't have a problem parking or paralell parking the ES, but it takes time to get used to the size and shape of a new car.

I love mine and would buy another, although I may get an LS next time.

As for "teflon coating the paint" you can't teflon coat paint. Teflon needs to be applied at over 600 degrees F and I doubt they'll do that ;) There are a lot of products out there that claim to have "teflon" but its a bunch of crap, and stay away from any dealership paint protectant package.

Find a good detailer and hire him to wash it weekly, and wax it every 6 months and it'll be fine. Or better yet, read up in our detailing forum and do it yourself!

I've had mine for almost 3 years now and almost 60,000 miles and I've been very happy. The transmission does have a hesitation, but if it were going to bother you it would be bothering you already. As for visibility, I don't have a problem parking or paralell parking the ES, but it takes time to get used to the size and shape of a new car.

I love mine and would buy another, although I may get an LS next time.

As for "teflon coating the paint" you can't teflon coat paint. Teflon needs to be applied at over 600 degrees F and I doubt they'll do that ;) There are a lot of products out there that claim to have "teflon" but its a bunch of crap, and stay away from any dealership paint protectant package.

Find a good detailer and hire him to wash it weekly, and wax it every 6 months and it'll be fine. Or better yet, read up in our detailing forum and do it yourself!

Do it yourself what the heck,,,, brand new ride like that I would be out cleaning it more than I would be sleeping..lol CONGRATS !! TAKE CARE OF YOUR BABIES!!

I dont post often but i do read this forum and the BMW forums often.

I currently own a 2005 ES330 also fully loaded and i saw few of you post the hestiation problem. Since i am 20, i generally accerlate harder than normal (according to my dealer) but i asked if they was a way to minimize the transmission lag. The lexus dealers did a transmission software update and i noticed a much less of a delay. However, in turns, if you have the stability control option, you are still going to get the same hestiation problem in non-straightways. So go to your dealer and ask for the update!

P.S. i think you made a wonderful choice on your car. I like it, i bought mine in black/black, did a few minor mods to it (tint window all around) and considering to change the rims if i do not go through with buying the LExus IS350 or BMW 335 )hopfully comming out). I have 16,000 miles on it in 6months only thing i wish is that the voice navigation was better. I ask for "Gas station" and its sending me to some place in oregon=p

I love that colour!  B)  If I were to buy a 2005 or 2006 ES, it would be in Blue Shale Mica!  Very classy.  :)  What colour interior? 

The two color choices for interior were ash and black. I went with the ash interior.

I love that colour!   B)   If I were to buy a 2005 or 2006 ES, it would be in Blue Shale Mica!  Very classy.  :)   What colour interior? 

The two color choices for interior were ash and black. I went with the ash interior.

Here is a picture of the rims.

post-21691-1132963590_thumb.jpg

I love that colour!   B)   If I were to buy a 2005 or 2006 ES, it would be in Blue Shale Mica!  Very classy.  :)   What colour interior? 

Excellent choice! I would go ask as well. B)

Did you consider any other choices before you signed the deal for your ES? Just wondering if you considered the new Avalon or the next gen ES due early next year? :unsure: B)

great looking car. ver nice color. I have an 04 , blue onyx pearl, like your color better. You should be happy with the car, mine is great, any trans problem should go away after driving and putting some miles on it. A friend of mine has a Camary, rode in mine and said wow! What a difference! Hope your dealer treats you good. mine does. Take care.

Timothy

Beautiful colour!

Ash interior is very nice as well

I should have got the chrome rims!!!  Dealer never tells you anything! :angry:

Always best to work a deal on rims before the deal is complete if you prefer the chrome. Worst thing that can usually happen is they sell them to you for cost. I always have them through in another set of floor mats to keep one nice for summer.

Excellent choice! I would go ask as well. B)

Did you consider any other choices before you signed the deal for your ES? Just wondering if you considered the new Avalon or the next gen ES due early next year? :unsure: B)

I looked at several cars and really wanted to get a Mercedes but, my wife didn't like the Mercedes and loved the Lexus. I had also heard varied reports that Mercedes (in general) have higher repair costs and spend more time in the shop so the Lexus won (at least this time). Lexus will have a few years to convince me I made the right choice before it is time to trade this one in. If so, I might go with another Lexus (probably a different model - I get bored so easily) otherwise I will probably buy a Mercedes.