Best Summer Tire

ZINFANDEL22

I hear a ton of debate about the best tire ,but in my situation I can't get the goodyear triple treads in my size ,and the mx4's dont really have good scores on tire racks site. Most people are looking for quiet smooth ride will longevity and good in snow well I am not interested in the snow part. So could I get anyones opinion on the best summer tire for a 96 es 300 with 215 x 50 17's ? Driven around town for the most part not hugging corners at 60 miles per hour or doing 100 on straight aways. I know nothing much about rounded tires or rolling resistance so any advice will help. :cheers:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MX4's don't have good scores because of Tirerack.coms inherently biased rating system. Some of the smoothest, quietest riding tires ever invented get mediocre scores at tirerack.com. Conversely, rather harsh riding tires like the Goodyear Comfortreds get top marks for ride smoothness at tirerack.com !!

Consumer Reports, on the other hand is more accurate and objective and the Michelin X tires (available only at Costco) and MX4's (available everywhere) get top marks for ride smoothness and quietness. A buddy of mine who used to own a LS400 and now owns a Honda Pilot SUV put Michelin X's on the Pilot and loves the luxury Lexus-like car ride and good fuel economy the X's provide.

If you really want a smoother, quieter ride you should also ditch the low profile wheels you have and go back to the factory original wheel size.

Thanks for the input I had no idea tirerack was bias. I understand for a so called perfect ride , noise ,and compfort I should stick with the smaller wheel. But I like the look of the 17 inch wheel and just want to see what would be the tires in my size that people feel would achieve the best results? i was on tirerack and did see the michelin x in my size for about 100.00 I want to say I know the mx4's are more, but I am not asking about best deal only best tires for summer and on a 17 inch rim. Any other suggestions would be great thanks again I know its an old subject but the summer tire is different i thought.

Thanks for the input I had no idea tirerack was bias. I understand for a so called perfect ride , noise ,and compfort I should stick with the smaller wheel. But I like the look of the 17 inch wheel and just want to see what would be the tires in my size that people feel would achieve the best results? i was on tirerack and did see the michelin x in my size for about 100.00 I want to say I know the mx4's are more, but I am not asking about best deal only best tires for summer and on a 17 inch rim. Any other suggestions would be great thanks again I know its an old subject but the summer tire is different i thought.

www.discounttiredirect.com

like $80 a piece, Falken Zeix ZE-512. Hands down the BEST high performance/general use tire IMO.

like $80 a piece, Falken Zeix ZE-512. Hands down the BEST high performance/general use tire IMO.

It all depends on your desires. The Falken is a sportier tire. The smoothest tire I've found is the Bridgestone Turanza LSV. I drove a Michelin MX4 at the same time and the Turanza was much quieter.

Thanks for your input army... :)

It all depends on your desires. The Falken is a sportier tire. The smoothest tire I've found is the Bridgestone Turanza LSV. I drove a Michelin MX4 at the same time and the Turanza was much quieter.

I will have to see if they come in my size!!!

I was looking at those so I called my tire guy. $53 each installed! Helps to know people I guess.

I hear a ton of debate about the best tire ,but in my situation I can't get the goodyear triple treads in my size ,and the mx4's dont really have good scores on tire racks site. Most people are looking for quiet smooth ride will longevity and good in snow well I am not interested in the snow part. So could I get anyones opinion on the best summer tire for a 96 es 300 with 215 x 50 17's ? Driven around town for the most part not hugging corners at 60 miles per hour or doing 100 on straight aways. I know nothing much about rounded tires or rolling resistance so any advice will help.  :cheers:

If your looking for a summer tire specifically, maybe this might help......I just posted this in the tire forums. B)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...rticle_id=10252

:cheers:

I was looking at those so I called my tire guy. $53 each installed! Helps to know people I guess.

And you are liking the tire ??

moved to the tire section

you need to figure out

price range

is it wet ,dry or mix where you live

do you want high traction

quiet

long life

no tire does everything so you need to figure out the importance of each of levels you need

I thought I did that already. I am looking for advice on a 215 x 50 17 summer tire? Price range has been stated not the issue just your thought of best summer tire on a 96 es 300. Of course I want long life thats why I am asking but I dont need the longest tread life out there for I want compfort and low noise. As far as weather it is summer in wi. we do get some rain. thanks again..

OK people I have been told that the michelin pilot exalto a/s is a great tire ,right up there with the bridgestone turanza.  Any opinions either way? I am kinda leaning towards these two tires not leaving out yoko avid v4s,bf traction t/a v ,and potenza g 009.

The Michelin is fairly new & not a whole pile of reports from tirerack yet. I'd personally stay clear of Bridgestones......the Yoko is a good choice, but as Army has stated, if you want a real good value & excellent all round performer, you simply can't beat the Falken Ziex ZE-512....they are made by the Japanese tire maker Sumitomo. My wife had a set on her car as well & they were awesome. Here is some more info...

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

OK people I have been told that the michelin pilot exalto a/s is a great tire ,right up there with the bridgestone turanza.  Any opinions either way? I am kinda leaning towards these two tires not leaving out yoko avid v4s,bf traction t/a v ,and potenza g 009.

The Michelin is fairly new & not a whole pile of reports from tirerack yet. I'd personally stay clear of Bridgestones......the Yoko is a good choice, but as Army has stated, if you want a real good value & excellent all round performer, you simply can't beat the Falken Ziex ZE-512....they are made by the Japanese tire maker Sumitomo. My wife had a set on her car as well & they were awesome. Here is some more info...

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

Thanks lexus, For the price I have to agree the falken wins. Ialso notice that because I change my wheels for winter my summer tires after like 4-5 years are starting to crack I guess you would say. I did read that after 5 years tires maybe should replaced any thoughts on that?

Didno' have them. I was getting some prices and the guy (personal friend) was giving me prices that were really good. It is like my toyo proxies tpt. I got them for like $300 installed etc. I could get them cheaper now then before if I wanted them. But these will be my last set of toyo's.

He said if I do not like my toyo in the winters you will not like the Falken's.

Next time I am going to try Michelin's Pilot or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I can get them installed cheaper then online prices. They would be about what I paid for my toyo.s

OK!!! I think I got it down to two,,, Really for the price I cant go wrong with the falkens. I just have to decide between the ziex 512 for $75.00 or the azenis st 115 for $88.00. FREE SHIPPING from discount tire, cant beat that. tire rack has the best prices on tires i have ever seen and the fairest shipping also ,but they dont handle falken. I was very excited to find free shipping thats what kills ya most of the time. So any last thoughts????? <_< :cheers:

I will have to see if they come in my size!!!

I drove with turanzas and Falkens Back ot back on the same car (my mothers Concorde Limited) the Falkens were quiter, hands down. they arent a Sporty tire. they are a high-performance/Luxury All-Season.

they come in sizes from 195/65/R15 to 265/45/ZR18, and even some 20 inch sizes are now accomidated.

trust me, Sumitomo knows what they are doing. with a treadwear rating of 420, expect over 60,000 miles of treadlife.

I drove with turanzas and Falkens Back ot back on the same car (my mothers Concorde Limited) the Falkens were quiter, hands down. they arent a Sporty tire. they are a high-performance/Luxury All-Season.

they come in sizes from 195/65/R15 to 265/45/ZR18, and even some 20 inch sizes are now accomidated.

trust me, Sumitomo knows what they are doing.  with a treadwear rating of 420, expect over 60,000 miles of treadlife.

I have to agree.....the Falkens are the better value overall & I would go with the 512's over the 115's personally, simply because they would be going on an ES, not exactly a sports sedan. B)

Didno' have them. I was getting some prices and the guy (personal friend) was giving me prices that were really good. It is like my toyo proxies tpt. I got them for like $300 installed etc. I could get them cheaper now then before if I wanted them. But these will be my last set of toyo's.

He said if I do not like my toyo in the winters you will not like the Falken's.

Next time I am going to try Michelin's Pilot or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I can get them installed cheaper then online prices. They would be about what I paid for my toyo.s

Have to respectfully disagree with your tire guy about the Falken's in the winter mburn......I drive both in the winter......granted on 2 different vehicles, but the Falkens bite better in the slushy stuff & on icy roads better than the Toyo's. heavy rain was about the same....but the Falken definately has the advantage in winter conditions.

Having said that, if it's down to the Falken & the Triple Tread......I'd go with the TT bud.....it will be more expensive (not sure how much.....depends how much price shopping you have done! ;) ) but longevity wise, it will last longer & it has a better warranty. Depending on how long you will be keeping your 98 ES, it just might be the last set of tires you purchase. B) Keep us posted & good luck! ;)

Cant get tripple treads in my size!!! I have decided to go with falcon due to its price and if it cant hang up there with some of the other big boys it's almost half the price when you add the fact that I can get 215 50 17 for $75.00 and free shipping from discounttiredirect. The azenis st 115 are $88.00 a tire,and I really dont see them as looking more aggressive myself. Personaly I kinda like a bit of an aggressive looking tire . A es 300 is a bit sporty if you ask me especially if you are putting chrome wheels on it so I must decide between the two.... Thanks all for your help and your choices will be interesting to see.

Cant get tripple treads in my size!!! I have decided to go with falcon due to its price and if it cant hang up there with some of the other big boys it's almost half the price when you add the fact that I can get 215 50 17 for $75.00 and free shipping from discounttiredirect. The azenis st 115 are $88.00 a tire,and I really dont see them as looking more aggressive myself. Personaly I kinda like a bit of an aggressive looking tire . A es 300 is a bit sporty if you ask me especially if you are putting chrome wheels on it so I must decide between the two.... Thanks all for your help and your choices will be interesting to see.

You have made a wise choice zin......keep us posted how your enjoying them! B) You will be impressed. ;)

You have made a wise choice zin......keep us posted how your enjoying them! B) You will be impressed. ;)

Thanks lexus I will be waxing my wheels and cleaning my tires waiting for spring ..I should have at least 10 coats of wax on by then...lol :cheers: thanks for your input.

Thanks lexus I will be waxing my wheels and cleaning my tires waiting for spring ..I should have at least 10 coats of wax on by then...lol :cheers:  thanks for your input.

That should make you really aerodynamic! lol. ;)